top of page

Search Results

88 éléments trouvés pour «  »

  • Benmore | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS Benmore Quebec NEXT PAGE 1848-1948 Col. Rhodes bought the house in 1848. He died in 1892, his wife Granny Ann Rhodes lived there until 1911. Their daughter Minnie Rhodes Morewood (died 1942) and Henry (Harry) Morewood (died 1916) lived there with their children John, Frank, Nancy, Billy, and Bobby Morewood. ​Frank Morewood writes: It was a great house to me (not a mansion like Cataraqui but I loved spending time at Benmore and I did spend a lot of time there). My parents were living there when I was born, as my father (Bobby) had lost his job in the depression and he went home to his mother's place with his whole family. At that time it housed my father's mother, two sisters, one of his two brothers and two maids. Benmore was in the family from 1848 to 1948. Colonel Rhodes a acheté la maison en 1848. Il est mort en 1892, son épouse Granny Ann Rhodes y vécut jusqu'en 1911. Leur fille Minnie Rhodes Morewood (mort en 1942) et Henry (Harry) Morewood (mort en 1916) a vécu dans la maison avec leurs enfants John, Frank, Nancy, Billy, et Bobby Morewood. Frank Morewood écrit: C'était une grande maison pour moi (pas une manoir comme Cataraqui mais j'ai adoré passer du temps à Benmore et j'ai fait passer beaucoup de temps là-bas). Mes parents vivaient là quand je suis né, mon père (Bobby) avait perdu son emploi dans la dépression et il rentra chez lui pour la place de sa mère avec toute sa famille. A cette époque, il abritait la mère de mon père, deux sœurs, l'une de ses deux frères et deux servantes. Benmore était dans la famille de 1848 à 1948. Frank Morewood (my grandfather) Vue sur la St-Laurent Minnie and Harry Morewood Billy, Minnie and Bobby Morewood 1890's Carrie and her mother Caroline Rhodes, Minnie Morewood, Billy and Frank, about 1893 Granny (1890's) with Frank Morewood & Jimmy Williams ​ Charlie Rhodes Mary Williams Wallace ​ Armitage Rhodes driving, Godfrey's wife Lily, Minnie and Bobby Morewood, Granny at the back, about 1910. ​ Benmore Tennis C ourt ​ Just two stories, 3rd floor added in 1864 Seulement deux étages, 3ème étage a été ajouté en 1864 View of the St Lawrence The horse's name is Jack Le cheval est appelé Jack I took the photo above in 2001 Granny and Hem on the porch around 1900. Next door, Godfrey's house Cataraquai, that's Godfrey with the dog, about 1920's. Juste à côté, la maison de Godfrey Cataraquai, c'est Godfrey avec le chien, environ 1920. Back to Home Page NEXT PAGE

  • Tides of Tadoussac - Rare Historic Images

    PREVIOUS Early Tadoussac Maps/Images Cartes/Images de Tadoussac NEXT PAGE The small portrait was drawn by Champlain of himself, the only known true image of him. The other portrait was painted 20 years after his death. This map of Tadoussac was drawn by Samuel de Champlain in 1600. He stopped in Tadoussac many times on his trips to Quebec. The map includes the Chauvin settlement of 1600. Le petit portrait a été dessiné par Champlain lui-même, l'image authentique seulement connu de lui. L'autre portrait a été peint 20 ans après sa mort. Cette carte de Tadoussac a été dessinée 15par Samuel de Champlain en 1600. Il a arrêté à Tadoussac à plusieurs reprises lors de ses voyages au Québec. La carte inclut le colonie de 1600 Chauvin. Champlain's map of Canada 1605? Tadoussac is here La carte de Champlain du Canada de 1605 Tadoussac est ici Tadoussac Harbour Sounds - Patrick O'Neill 00:00 / 00:00 Turn on SOUND on your computer Sounds from Patrick O'Neill Activer le son sur votre ordinateur Les sons de Patrick O'Neill Champlain's map of Canada 1612? Tadoussac is here La carte de Champlain du Canada de 1612 Tadoussac est ici 1628 English under David Kirke in Tadoussac Bay by GA Cuthbertson 1628 Anglais sous David Kirke dans la baie de Tadoussac par GA Cuthbertson Champlain's map of Canada 1632? Tadoussac is here La carte de Champlain du Canada de 1632 Tadoussac est ici Huguenot Trader leaving the Saguenay by GA Cuthbertson Huguenot Trader quitter le Saguenay par GA Cuthbertson !!! In another dimension... CANADA ou NOUVELLE FRANCE south of the Great Lakes and MER DE CANADA !!! Dans une autre dimension ... CANADA ou NOUVELLE FRANCE au sud des Grands Lacs et MER DE CANADA Course map of the Saguenay River as told by les sauvages PITCHITAOUICHETZ Maps and Plans of the Navy 1744 by N. Bellin, Inginieur Navy Carte du Cours de la Riviere Saguenay appellee par les sauvages PITCHITAOUICHETZ Dressee sur les manuscrits du Depost des Cartes, et Plans de la Marine 1744 par N. Bellin, Inginieur de la Marine Montagnais at Pointe Bleue, Lac St Jean This drawing must be very old, showing Montagnais teepees on the plateau where Dufferin House now stands, and the small church and the Hudson's Bay Post in the background. The hotel is not built, maybe 1840. Ce dessin doit être très ancienne, montrant des tipis Montagnais sur le plateau où Dufferin House est maintenant, et la petite église et la Hudson's Bay Post sur le fond. L'hôtel n'est pas construit, peut-être 1840. Montagnais on Indian Rock Montagnais on Pointe d'Islet Hudson's Bay Post in Tadoussac mid 1800's? Montagnais in Murray Bay Merci/Thanks to L. Gagnon & Benny Beattie for maps This painting by Cornelius Krieghoff shows Colonel William Rhodes putting on his snowshoes Somewhere in Quebec Circa 1860 Cette peinture de Cornelius Krieghoff montre Colonel William Rhodes mettant ses raquettes à neige Quelque part au Québec circa 1860 Painting "Calm on the Saguenay" by C J Hay (collection Alan&Jane Evans) at Anse de Roche two natives sneaking up on some ducks - at left, Alan re-enacting behind the same rock, 2014. Peinture "Calm on the Saguenay" par CJ Hay (collection Alan et Jane Evans) à Anse de Roche deux indigènes se faufiler sur des canards - à gauche, Alan rejouant derrière la même roche, 2014. Painting "Squall on the Saguenay" by C J Hay Painting of Pointe Rouge by C J Hay Fishnet off Indian Rock, Pointe Rouge across the bay Filet de pêche près de Indian Rock, Pointe Rouge à travers la baie Late 1860's. Where does this road go? 1860's. Où est-ce que cette route mène? Tadoussac in 1860's by Washington Friend (1820-1866) from the collection of Lewis and Cathy Evans showing the original Brynhyfryd (Rhodes cottage) with the hotel and Hudson's Bay post in the background Tadoussac en 1860 par Washington Friend (1820-1866) de la collection de Lewis et Cathy Evans montrant Brynhyfryd (Rhodes cottage) avec l'hôtel et le Poste de la Baie d'Hudson dans le fond "Rocks on the Saguenay" by Washington Friend (1820-1866) 1865 Tadoussac by Edwin Whitefield from the collection of Michael and Judy Alexander Cid's Store by Tom Roberts 1969 Mosaic in tile and seaglass by Tom Evans 2007 Mosaïque dans carreaux et verre de mer Tom Evans 2007 2009 NEXT PAGE 38

  • More Faces of Tadoussac | tidesoftadoussac1

    Été à Tadoussac Summer 1920-1940 Page 7 of 7 Please help! If you have more photos If you have names that I don't have If you have notes I could add If you were there yourself! tomfevans@icloud.com S'il vous plaît aider! Si vous avez plus de photos Si vous avez des noms que je n'ai pas Si vous avez des notes que je pourrais ajouter Si vous y étiez! tomfevans@icloud.com NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS (More) Faces of Tadoussac (Plus) Visages de Tadoussac 1922 Lewis Evans with his mother Emily (Bethune) Evans Jim and Jean Alexander with grandparents Nan (Rhodes) Williams and Lennox Williams, and with their mother Gertrude (Williams) Alexander 1925 Jack Wallace, Nan Wallace (Leggat), Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker), Jim Alexander Grace Scott 1925 Maye Hudspeth, Kae Evans Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1926 Left Ann Stevenson (Dewart) Right Elizabeth Stevenson (O'Neill) 1926 Erie Languedoc in her garden -- Note! -- Stevenson cottage being built in the background Smut the dog, Emily (Bethune) Evans, Kae Evans, the Stevenson sisters, Elizabeth (O'Neill) (note camera), Maggie (Reilley), Ann (Dewart), May Carrington Smith, Nan Gale at Evans camp at Cap a Jack 1924-25 Dorothy (Rhodes) Evans, Trevor Evans, Phoebe Evans (Skutezky), Ainslie Evans (Stephen) 1927-28 with Trevor Evans Jr 1931 Evans family with Alfred Hovington, Kate Von Iffland, and at right Maye Hudspeth 1931 Evans family with Tim Evans (baby) Kate Von Iffland, Muriel Evans (standing), Monica Rhodes, Betty Morewood (Evans) Lennox Williams with his wife Nan (Rhodes) Williams and his son Sydney Williams 1933 Jean and Jim Alexander, Syndey Williams, Gertrude and General Ron Alexander, Percival Tudor-Hart, Jack Wallace seated Mary (Williams) Wallace, Michael Wallace, Catherine Tudor-Hart, Lennox and Nan Williams Jack Wallace, ?, Betty Morewood (Evans), Bill Morewood, Michael Wallace, ?, ?, Phoebe Evans (Skutezky), Ainslie Evans (Stephen), ? Mary (Williams) Wallace Phoebe, Ainslie, Susie Russell, and Trevor Evans 1934 Iso (Price) & Guy & Ann (Van Alystyn) Smith Elizabeth (Stevenson) and Lionel O'Neill Helen Neilson Maggie (Stevenson) Reilley Catherine (Rhodes) and Percival Tudor-Hart Coosie Price The Alexander family, Gertrude (Williams), Jim, Jean, and Gen Ron Alexander Amatuer Theatre in the shed behind the upper Evans house Standing - Jack Wallace, Jim Alexander, Ron Alexander, Jack Wallace Mary Wallace, Nan Williams, Jean Alexander, Nan Wallace, ?, Lennox Williams, Gertrude Alexander Sydney Williams, Jim Williams, Susan Williams (Webster), ?, Joan Williams (Ballantyne), Michael Wallace Barbara Hampson (Alexander/Campbell) 1936 Jack Wallace, Jim and Jean Alexander, Nan Wallace (Leggat), Michael Wallace, Joan, Susan, and Jim Williams 1936 Standing Frank Morewood, Jim & Gertrude Alexander, ?, Sydney Williams Middle Nan Williams, Henry and Helen Price, Lennox Williams, Enid (Price) and Susan Williams Front Nan Wallace, Joan Williams, Mary Wallace, Ron Alexander 1937 Bill Morewood, Ainslie Evans, Billy Morewood, Jean Alexander, Betty Morewood (Evans) ???, Joan and Susan Williams 1937 Betty Morewood (Evans) and her parents Frank Morewood and Carrie (Rhodes) Morewood The first summer for the new cottage Le premier été pour le nouveau chalet Robin Molson, ?, ?, Verity Molson, Joan Williams (Ballantyne) Enid (Price) Williams with her children Jim, Susan, and Joan Williams and cousins Pam and Ann Smith Pam Smith (McCarter) 1937 Prices, Smiths and Williams Nan Wallace, Peggy T., Betty Morewood, Susie Russell, Joan Shaw, Mary Del Robertson, Mary Fowler, Jean Alexander, Jean? Bar Hampson, Helen Davis, Peggie Durnford, Mabel Warburton, Ainslie Evans Mary Hampson (Price), Ted Price, Mary Fowler Nan Wallace (Leggat) Jack Molson, Doris (Carrington Smith) Molson, Arthur Price Susan Williams, Ann Smith, Joan and Sheila Williams, Pam Smith, Jim Williams Bill Stephen Verity Molson, Eve, Ann and Pam Smith 1941 Sheila Williams (Campbell) and Penny Smith (Younger) PREVIOUS NEXT PAGE La FIN de L'été à Tadoussac 1920-1940 Tu l'as fait! Bien joué! 200 Photos Mais pas la fin Continuez ... >>> The END of Summer in Tadoussac 1920-1940 You made it! Well Done! 200 Photos But not the end Keep going...>>>

  • Tides of Tadoussac

    PREVIOUS La Rivière Saguenay Endroits Intéressants Cool Places on the Saguenay River NEXT PAGE Pointe à la CROIX Pointe à la Croix Pointe à la Croix L'origine de la croix n'est pas connue, mais il y a des références à la Pointe à la Croix dans 2 livres, de 1889 et 1891. La croix a été remplacée au moins quatre fois ! The origin of the cross is not known, but there are references to Pointe à la Croix in 2 books, from 1889 and 1891. The cross has been replaced at least four times! Circa 1930, tea (with china teacups!) on Pt à la Croix, at center my grandmother Emily Evans, and my father R Lewis Evans Vers 1930, thé (avec des tasses en porcelaine !) sur Pt à la Croix, au centre ma grand-mère Emily Evans, et mon père R Lewis Evans This was the old cross that was mounted on Pointe à la Croix, the little point jutting out into the Saguenay River, from the east below the cliffs between Anse La Barque and La Boule bay. This one fell down and somebody put up another...the cross is dated 1941, the vertical piece on which it stood up supported by a pile of rocks was missing at the time we brought it home, about 1971 (tag by Jack Molson). ​ This cross was replaced by R Lewis Evans and Tom Evans in the early 1970's C'était l'ancienne croix qui était montée sur la Pointe à la Croix, la petite pointe qui s'avance dans la rivière Saguenay, par l'est en contrebas des falaises entre l'Anse La Barque et la baie de La Boule. Celui-ci est tombé et quelqu'un en a posé un autre... la croix est datée de 1941, la pièce verticale sur laquelle elle se tenait soutenue par un tas de rochers manquait au moment où nous l'avons ramenée à la maison, vers 1971 (tag de Jack Molson) . ​ Ce croisement a été remplacé par R Lewis Evans et Tom Evans au début des années 1970 The cross fell down again and was replaced by Tom Evans and friends! 2005 La croix est retombée et a été remplacée par Tom Evans et ses amis ! 2005 more coming soon... 29 NEXT PAGE

  • Saguenay Mills | Moulins et villes du Saguenay

    PREVIOUS Saguenay Mills and Towns Moulins et Villes du Saguenay NEXT PAGE The Saguenay River has a number of ghost towns, where large lumber mills and entire villages existed for a short time and then completely disappeared. The only remains are some slab-wood walls and rocks and bricks. The history is fascinating. ​ Much of the text here is from the excellent website of Petit-Saguenay, which includes St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, below is an english translation. ​ ​ La rivière Saguenay compte plusieurs villes fantômes, où de grandes scieries et des villages entiers ont existé pendant une courte période puis ont complètement disparu. Les seuls vestiges sont des murs en dalles de bois, des pierres et des briques. L'histoire est fascinante. ​ Une grande partie du texte ici provient de l'excellent site Web de Petit-Saguenay, qui comprend St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, ci-dessous est une traduction en anglais. ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 Anse CHEVAL MARGUERITE Mill/Moulin et Wharf/Quai circa 1910 ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 Anse au Cheval Anse-aux-Petites-Îles Anse de Roche Baie Saint-Marguerite Arrival of the Société des Vingt-et-un in Petit-Saguenay April 25, 1838. The Société des Vingt-et-un prepared a schooner to set off to conquer the Saguenay, then under the Hudson's Bay Company monopoly. This team of 27 men first stopped at Anse-aux-Petites-Îles, between Tadoussac and Anse Saint-Étienne, to unload a group of loggers there, who built the first sawmill on the Saguenay. The expedition thus relieved continued on its way to Anse-au-Cheval, located opposite the Baie Saint-Marguerite, where a second mill was built. They waited for the ice to leave, which takes a month. Then, the rest of the crew continues their journey which brings them to the colonization of L'Anse-Saint-Jean and Baie des Ha! Ha! The first two stops of the Société des Vingt-et-un are therefore in two coves in the territory of Petit-Saguenay. These sawing facilities will be of short duration, since the mills were designed to be easily moved depending on the availability of the resource. At the time, it was pine, which was then abundant in the area, that they felled as a priority. However, these two coves are never permanently inhabited - although they are visited by priests who identify 8 men in Petites-Îles and 2 men in l'Anse-au-Cheval in 1839 - and it is rather at Anse de Petit-Saguenay and Anse Saint-Étienne that future colonization efforts were deployed in Petit-Saguenay. Arrivée de la Société des Vingt-et-un à Petit-Saguenay 25 avril 1838. La Société des Vingt-et-un apprête une goélette pour partir à la conquête du Saguenay, alors sous le monopole de Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson. Cette équipée de 27 hommes fait d'abord escale à l'Anse-aux-petites-Îles, entre Tadoussac et l'Anse Saint-Étienne, pour y débarquer un groupe de bûcherons, qui y construit le premier moulin à scie sur le Saguenay. L'expédition ainsi délestée poursuit son chemin jusqu'à l'Anse-au-Cheval, située en face de la Baie Saint-Marguerite, où un second moulin est construit. On y attend le départ des glaces, ce qui prend un mois. Puis, le reste de l'équipage poursuit son voyage qui l'amène à la colonisation de L'Anse-Saint-Jean et la Baie des Ha! Ha! Les deux premiers arrêts de la Société des Vingt-et-un se font donc dans deux anses sur le territoire de Petit-Saguenay. Ces installations de sciage seront de courte durée, puisque les moulins étaient conçus pour être facilement déplaçables en fonction de la disponibilité de la ressource. À l'époque, c'est le pin, qui est alors abondant sur le territoire, qu'on abat en priorité. Ces deux anses ne sont toutefois jamais habitées de façon permanente - bien qu'elle soit visitées par des curés qui recensent 8 hommes aux Petites-Îles et 2 hommes à l'Anse-au-Cheval en 1839 - et c'est plutôt du côté de l'Anse de Petit-Saguenay et de l'Anse Saint-Étienne que les futurs efforts de colonisation se déploient à Petit-Saguenay. St Etienne is shown on a map of 1744 1865 The Rhodes family had a summer cottage in Tadoussac, and they would row up the Saguenay and camp and fish! The fishing was very good, and St Etienne was a favourite spot. They also loved swimming and shooting. Godfrey Rhodes wrote about it in his diary from 1865, at age 15. ​ 1865 La famille Rhodes avait un chalet d'été à Tadoussac, et ils ramaient en canot sur le Saguenay, campaient et pêchaient! La pêche était très bonne, et St Etienne était un endroit préféré. Ils aimaient aussi nager et tirer. Godfrey Rhodes a écrit à ce sujet dans son journal de 1865, à l'âge de 15 ans. The text here is from the excellent website of Petit-Saguenay, which includes St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, below is an english translation. ​ Construction of a company village at Anse Saint-Étienne At the end of the 1870s, the Price company began to take an interest in the Anse Saint-Étienne site to install a sawmill. The site is favorable for development, because it is well protected from the winds and offers an excellent anchorage. On site, there are at most a few fishing families and the remains of a mysterious sawmill whose owner we do not know. It was in 1882 that the Price company decided to build a real company village there, which would be the first of its kind in the region. The establishment is called a company village, since all the buildings belong to the Price company. The mill is for its part of a considerable size: it works with steam and has a power of 200 forces, which makes it de facto the largest factory of this type in Saguenay. Locks, slabs and docks are built around the mill to facilitate the transport, storage and loading of timber. A steam tug, the Belle, is based on site to facilitate the entry and exit of schooners and other sailing vessels at low tide. The workers and their families are housed in rooming houses near the factory, which makes for a very lively working-class neighborhood. The notables, mostly English-speaking and Protestant, were settled on an upper plateau, in what was called at the time the Anse des Messieurs or the Anse de l'Eglise. The village experienced significant growth and once again placed Petit-Saguenay in the heart of the Price empire in the region. Le texte ici est tiré de l'excellent site Web de Petit-Saguenay, qui inclut St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, à gauche est une traduction en anglais. Construction d'un village de compagnie à l'Anse Saint-Étienne À la fin des années 1870, la compagnie Price commence à s'intéresser au site de l'Anse Saint-Étienne pour y installer un moulin à scie. Le site est favorable à l'établissement, parce qu'il est bien protégé des vents et offre un excellent mouillage. Sur place, on retrouve tout au plus quelques familles de pêcheurs et les vestiges d'un mystérieux moulin à scie dont on ne connait pas le propriétaire. C'est en 1882 que la compagnie Price décide d'y construire un véritable village de compagnie, qui sera le premier du genre dans la région. On qualifie l'établissement de village de compagnie, puisque toutes les bâtiments appartiennent à la compagnie Price. Le moulin est pour sa part d'une ampleur considérable : il fonctionne à la vapeur et possède une puissance de 200 forces, ce qui en fait de facto la plus grande usine de ce type au Saguenay. Autour du moulin, on construit des écluses, des dalles et des quais pour faciliter le transport, l'entreposage et le chargement du bois. Un remorqueur à vapeur, le Belle, est basé sur place pour faciliter l'entrée et la sortie des goélettes et autres navires à voile à marée basse. Les ouvriers et leurs familles sont logés dans des maisons de chambre à proximité de l'usine, ce qui constitue un quartier ouvrier très vivant. Les notables, pour la plupart anglophones et protestants, sont quant à eux installés sur un plateau supérieur, dans ce que l'on appelle à l'époque l'Anse des Messieurs ou l'Anse de l'Église. Le village connait un essor important et replace à nouveau Petit-Saguenay au coeur de l'empire des Price dans la région. Development of a modern village in Saint-Étienne Quickly after the founding of the company village of Saint-Étienne, it experienced a significant boom which increased the population to nearly 400 people in 1887, when the decision was made to build a church and set up a cemetery on the spot. To house all these workers and their families, they had to build around 30 homes in the working-class neighborhood and install many services. About ten residences were also built at Anse-des-Messieurs to accommodate the manager and the notables. A 27-kilometer-long telegraph line connected Saint-Étienne to Rivière aux Canards (Baie-Sainte-Catherine) and a colonization path - the maritime path - is opened along this line at the site of the current chemin des Îles. A post office is also set up on site and the post office is delivered twice a week between Saint-Étienne and Tadoussac and between Saint-Étienne and L'Anse-Saint-Jean. A farm is cleared on the surrounding plateaus to provide fresh food to the inhabitants. Two schools are also open for the education of children with teachers Adéla and Cécile Gobeil. Visitors are welcomed in a comfortable hotel. Rumors have it that some of the buildings are even served by electricity produced at the steam mill and a water supply service! Développement d'un village moderne à Saint-Étienne Rapidement après la fondation du village de compagnie de Saint-Étienne, celui-ci connait un essor important qui fait grimper la population à près de 400 personnes en 1887, lorsqu'on décide de construire une église et d'aménager un cimetière sur place. Pour loger tous ces travailleurs et leurs familles, on doit construire une trentaine d'habitations dans le quartier ouvrier et installer de nombreux services. Une dizaine de résidences sont également construites à l'Anse-des-Messieurs pour loger le gérant et les notables. Une ligne de télégraphe de 27 kilomètres de long relie Saint-Étienne à Rivière aux Canards (Baie-Sainte-Catherine) et un chemin de colonisation - le chemin maritime - est ouvert le long de cette ligne à l'emplacement de l'actuel chemin des Îles. Un bureau de poste est également aménagés sur place et la poste est livrée deux fois par semaine entre Saint-Étienne et Tadoussac et entre Saint-Étienne et L'Anse-Saint-Jean. Une ferme est défrichée sur les plateaux environnants pour fournir des aliments frais aux habitants. Deux écoles sont également ouvertes pour l'éducation des enfants avec les institutrices Adéla et Cécile Gobeil. Les visiteurs sont quant à eux accueillis dans un hôtel confortable. Les rumeurs veulent qu'une partie des bâtiments est même desservie par l'électricité produite au moulin à vapeur et un service d'aqueduc! St Etienne 1883-1900 The golden age of Saint-Étienne After several years of operation, the industrial village of Saint-Étienne reached its peak at the turn of the 1890s. It figures prominently among the 3 mills of the Price company on the Saguenay, a company which also has facilities in Chicoutimi and the Baie des Ha! Ha!. At the peak of activities, there was a permanent population of 495 people in 1891, which excludes the 400 to 600 workers who stay on the sites each winter. It was then the most populous village between La Baie and Tadoussac. About a hundred workers operate the sawmill, which processes between 200 and 300,000 logs per year. It was mainly spruce, which replaced pine as the main species, the latter having been completely exploited in the first decades of the colonization of the Saguenay or ravaged by recurring fires. The wood comes mainly from the territory of Petit-Saguenay and Baie-Sainte-Catherine. There were up to twenty logging sites per winter operating in the hinterland to supply the industry. The village began to decline from 1891, however, mainly due to two factors. First, the supply is more and more difficult and they had to harvest the resource further and further to bring it to the mill, which reduces the profitability of operations. Then, a major depression hit the world economy from 1891, which affected the wood exports of the Price company to the United States. However, Saint-Étienne remained a dynamic village until its tragic end in 1900. ​ This photo does NOT show the village on fire, the smoke is from the chimneys! L'âge d'or de Saint-Étienne Après plusieurs années d'opération, le village industriel de Saint-Étienne atteint son apogée au tournant des années 1890. Il figure en bonne place parmi les 3 moulins de la compagnie Price sur le Saguenay, compagnie qui compte également des installations à Chicoutimi et à la Baie des Ha! Ha!. Au sommet des activités, on compte une population permanente de 495 personnes en 1891, ce qui exclut les 400 à 600 travailleurs qui séjournent chaque hiver sur les chantiers. C'est alors le village le plus populeux entre La Baie et Tadoussac. Une centaine de travailleurs fait fonctionner le moulin à scie où transitent entre 200 et 300 000 billots par année. On y scie essentiellement de l'épinette, qui a remplacé le pin comme essence principale, cette dernière ayant été complètement exploitée dans les premières décennies de la colonisation du Saguenay ou ravagée par les incendies récurrents. Le bois vient principalement du territoire de Petit-Saguenay et de Baie-Sainte-Catherine. On opère jusqu'à une vingtaine de chantiers de bûchage par hiver dans l'arrière-pays pour alimenter l'industrie. Le village se met toutefois à décliner à compter de 1891, principalement à cause de deux facteurs. D'abord, l'approvisionnement est de plus en plus difficile et on doit aller récolter la ressource de plus en plus loin pour l'apporter au moulin, ce qui réduit la rentabilité des opérations. Ensuite, une dépression importante frappe l'économie mondiale à compter de 1891, ce qui affecte les exportations de bois de la compagnie Price vers les États-Unis. Saint-Étienne demeure toutefois un village dynamique jusqu'à sa fin tragique en 1900. ​ Cette photo ne montre PAS le village en feu, la fumée vient des cheminées ! Saint-Étienne razed to the ground June 5, 1900. A stubble fire started in the morning by colonist Benjamin Boudreault on the heights of Saint-Étienne spread to the forest thanks to the strong winds. In the space of two hours, the flames reached the village of Saint-Étienne, which was reduced to ashes. Only a handful of buildings were spared, but all the residents were literally thrown into the sea, picked up on board two passing ships. The sawmill, the docks, three ships and the entire wood inventory were lost in the fire. Only the district of Anse-des-Messieurs was spared. The next day, thanks to the generosity of the public and the authorities, aid was sent from Chicoutimi: money, food and clothing were distributed to the grieving families. If the workers got by without too much damage, the Price company must declare a total loss since the establishment is not insured. These losses are estimated at between $ 300,000 and $ 400,000, which equates to between $ 9M and $ 12M today. Faced with the scale of the disaster and taking into account the fact that the establishment had already been declining for a few years because of supply problems, the company decided not to rebuild and instead to open a new sawmill at Baie Sainte-Catherine, a mill which moved again in 1908 to Baie Sainte-Marguerite. L'Anse Saint-Étienne, for its part, was abandoned by the Price company, which hardly did any business there until the land was sold to the municipality in the 1970s. Saint-Étienne rasé par les flammes 5 juin 1900. Un feu d'abattis débuté en matinée par le colon Benjamin Boudreault sur les hauteurs de Saint-Étienne se répand à la forêt à la faveur des forts vents. En l'espace de deux heures, les flammes atteignent le village de Saint-Étienne qui est réduit en cendre. Une poignée de bâtiments seulement sont épargnés, mais tous les résidents sont littéralement jetés à la mer, recueillis à bord de deux navires de passage. Le moulin à scie, les quais, trois navires ainsi que l'ensemble de l'inventaire de bois sont perdus dans l'incendie. Seul le quartier de l'Anse-des-messieurs est épargné. Dès le lendemain, grâce à la générosité du public et des autorités, on achemine de l'aide en provenance de Chicoutimi : de l'argent, des vivres et des vêtements sont ainsi distribués aux famille éplorés. Si les travailleurs s'en sortent sans trop de dommage, la compagnie Price, elle, doit déclarer une perte totale puisque l'établissement n'est pas assuré. Ces pertes sont estimées à entre 300 et 400 000 $, ce qui équivaut à entre 9M$ et 12M$ aujourd'hui. Devant l'ampleur du désastre et compte tenud du fait que l'établissement décline déjà depuis quelques années à cause des problèmes d'approvisionnement, la compagnie décide de ne pas reconstruire et de plutôt ouvrir un nouveau moulin à scie du côté de Baie Sainte-Catherine, moulin qui est déménagé à nouveau en 1908 du côté de Baie Sainte-Marguerite. L'Anse Saint-Étienne est pour sa part abandonnée par la compagnie Price, qui n'y fait plus guère d'activités jusqu'à la vente du terrain à la municipalité dans les années 1970. Great Fire on the Saguenay Forty Families Homeless A dispatch announces that a big fire has ravaged the village of St Etienne, on the Saguenay, and that forty families are homeless. The telegraph office was also set on fire, making it more difficult to obtain full details, the distance being sixteen miles. The captain of the "Saguenay" boat was asked to stop at St-Etienne and transport homeless people to St-Alexis de Chicoutimi. ​ LATER The large establishment of Price Brothers & Co, wood merchants of St-Etienne, was completely destroyed by fire this afternoon. The losses are considerable and include nearly 200,000 feet of trade lumber, stores and most of the docks. A schooner and two boats which were at the wharf were also destroyed. Forty families are homeless as a result of the conflagration and find themselves running out of food and even clothing. Most of the workers were occupied in the sawmills, and came to Chicoutimi. It is believed that the fire was started by reckless settlers. Losses are estimated between $350,000 and $ 400,000. The steamer "Saguenay" * Mill Village Anse-des-Messieurs Today St Etienne is a popular picnic spot, accessible by road, and there are remains of the old wharfs in the stream. Aujourd'hui, St Etienne est un lieu de pique-nique populaire, accessible par la route, et il reste des vestiges des anciens quais dans le ruisseau. Match up the hills! Circa 1890 >> 2020 Associez les collines! Vers 1890 >> 2020 Anse au Cheval Anse au Cheval Price installs debarkers at Anse au Cheval In 1838, the Société des Vingt-et-Un set up its first sawmills in the region at Petit-Saguenay, at Anse aux Petites-Îles and at Anse au Cheval. After a few years of operation, these two mills were sold to William Price, who did not continue to operate for long. L'Anse au Cheval was therefore abandoned for a few decades until Joseph Desgagné, son of the famous schooner builder Zéphirin Desgagné from L'Anse-Saint-Jean, took a lease there from the land agent of Tadoussac in the 1880s or 1890s. The activities of Joseph Desgagné at Anse au Cheval are not known, but we can assume that he does either cutting or sawing, since he regularly transports wood with his schooners. He then transferred his rights to Onésime Gagné of L'Anse-Saint-Jean, who obviously operated a mill there, since when the latter sold his facilities to the Price company in 1902, the notarial contract mentioned a " mill with machines, machine, kettle, shingle machine, carriage complete with saws and other accessories, ridges, edging saws [...], as well as the house [...], booms and docks used to pound the planks and other woods. " A small colony even developed around these installations, with some families affected by the fire in the village of Saint-Étienne in 1900. ​ The Price company, for its part, operates debarkers there in a factory supplied with energy by steam. The pulpwood thus freed from its bark is then exported by ship to pulp and paper mills in Ontario and the United States. The Anse au Cheval mill was thus in operation for several years, until a law came to prohibit the export of pulpwood in 1910 and thus led to the decline of activities on the site. In 1914, the installations were dismantled and the kettle was transferred to Desbins, where the Price company operated one of the five pulp and paper mills in the region at the time. L'Anse au Cheval was abandoned for good. Price installe des écorceurs à l'Anse au Cheval En 1838, la Société des Vingt-et-Un installe ses premiers moulins à scie dans la région à Petit-Saguenay, soit à l'Anse aux Petites-Îles et à l'Anse au Cheval. Après quelques années d'exploitation, ces deux moulins sont vendus à William Price, qui ne continue pas l'exploitation bien longtemps. L'Anse au Cheval est donc abandonnée pendant quelques décennies jusqu'à ce que Joseph Desgagné, fils du fameux constructeur de goélettes Zéphirin Desgagné de L'Anse-Saint-Jean, y prenne un bail auprès de l'agent des terres de Tadoussac dans les années 1880 ou 1890. Les activitéss de Joseph Desgagné à l'Anse au Cheval ne sont pas connues, mais on peut présumer qu'il y fait soit de la coupe ou du sciage, puisque que celui-ci transporte régulièrement du bois avec ses goélettes. Il transfère ensuite ses droits à Onésime Gagné de L'Anse-Saint-Jean, qui y exploite manifestement un moulin, puisqu'au moment où ce dernier vend ses installations à la compagnie Price en 1902, le contrat notarié fait mention d'un "moulin avec machines, engin, bouilloire, machine à bardeaux, carriage complet avec scies et autres accessoires, buttes, scies à déligner [...], ainsi que la maison [...], booms et quais servant à piler les madriers et autres bois." Une petite colonie s'est même développée autour de ces installations, avec quelques familles sinistrées après le feu du village de Saint-Étienne en 1900. La compagnie Price, pour sa part, y exploite des écorceurs dans une usine alimentée en énergie par la vapeur. Le bois de pulpe ainsi libéré de son écorce est ensuite exporté par bateau vers des usines de pâte et papiers d'Ontario et des États-Unis. Le moulin de l'Anse au Cheval est ainsi en opération pendant plusieurs années, jusqu'à ce qu'une loi vienne interdire l'exportation de bois de pulpe en 1910 et mène ainsi au déclin des activités sur le site. En 1914, on démentèle les installations et on transfère la bouilloire à Desbins, où la compagnie Price opère l'une des cinq usines de pâte et papier de la région à l'époque. L'Anse au Cheval est définitivement abandonnée. 2020 there are some remains of the activities in Anse au Cheval. There are probably more remains in the forest. 2020, il y a quelques vestiges des activités à Anse au Cheval. Il y a probablement plus de restes dans la forêt. Marguerite Baie Saint-Marguerite The "MARGUERITE" is a beautiful place. Marguerite Bay is the mouth of the two Marguerite Rivers, which combine a short distance above the head of the bay. The bay is 2km deep and 1km wide. At high tide it is completely flooded, at low tide mostly dry, with the river running down the middle to the Saguenay. ​ La "Marguerite" est un bel endroit. Marguerite Bay est la bouche des deux Rivières-Marguerite, qui se combinent à une courte distance au-dessus de la tête de la baie. La baie est à 2km de profondeur et un kilomètre de large. A marée haute, il est complètement inondée, à marée basse la plus grande partie est sec, avec la rivière qui coule au milieu au Saguenay. The Marguerite Belugas Parc Saguenay Visitors Center today Site of the movie set in 1972 Marguerite Rivers join here Saguenay River Remains of the Village Ice Caves The Notch Petite Rigolette Northwest Corner Banc des Messieurs Remains of Wharf and crib Sand Dune Amazing Canal Beach Village of Sainte Marguerite, built around the sawmill Circa 1910? ​ ​ Village de Sainte-Marguerite, construit autour de la scierie Periode 1910? About 1930's Remains of the town and the wharf, at high tide Environ 1930 Vestiges de la ville et le quai, à marée haute The "Muriel" anchored in the Marguerite, circa 1930 Below the "Hobo" and the "Bonne Chance" in the same location in 1956, the rocks in the background are the same. This is in the middle of the bay, in the river channel, which never dries out at low tide. Le "Muriel" ancrée dans la Marguerite, vers 1930 Ci-dessous le "Hobo" et la "Bonne Chance" au même endroit en 1956, les roches dans le fond sont les mêmes. Ceci est dans le milieu de la baie, dans le chenal de la rivière, qui ne sèche jamais à marée basse. A trip to the Marguerite in about 1935 Bill Morewood (my uncle) looking at the camera Jim Alexander with the crest on his sweater Not sure who the third guy is. Un voyage à la Marguerite en 1935 environ Bill Morewood (mon oncle) en regardant la caméra Jim Alexander avec la crête sur son chandai La "Marguerite" est un bel endroit. Marguerite Bay est la bouche des deux Rivières-Marguerite, qui se combinent à une courte distance au-dessus de la tête de la baie. La baie est à 2km de profondeur et un kilomètre de large. A marée haute, il est complètement inondée, à marée basse la plus grande partie est sec, avec la rivière qui coule au milieu au Saguenay. Putting up a beacon on the old pier at the Marguerite for 'navigation' July 1937 Herbert, Noel, Self (Jack Molson?) This marker (and other ones) stood on the 'crib' for many years. The crib was the pile of rocks that was the remains of the end of the old wharf, where it reached the river channel. Guy Smith and the 'Hobo' and Lewis Evans's 'Bonne Chance' anchored in the Marguerite in 1956 From the log of the "Bonne Chance" August 13th 1956: 4pm Entered Marguerite, schooner "Hobo" on anchorage, she reported having caught 18, and left for the Islets Rouge. Tuesday I fished half flood at dawn on the point above the crip - 4 trout, one a good size. Fished ebb all morning on Banc des Messieurs taking 17, all but 2 on flies. Trevor (Evans) and John (Price) fished Petite Rigolette (the smaller outlet of the Marguerite over the low tide flats), taking 26. Fished afternoon flood, I getting nothing on main channel, Trevor and John 18 on the Petite Rigolette. Sunny and calm. Below they are dumping water from the Nor-Shore Canoe from the deck of the "Hobo" Mettre en place un arbre sur le vieux quai de la Marguerite pour «navigation» Juillet 1937 Herbert, Noel, Self (Jack Molson?) Ce marqueur (et autres) se trouvait sur la «crèche» pour de nombreuses années. La crèche était le tas de pierres qui était les vestiges de la fin de l'ancien quai, où il a atteint le chenal de la rivière. Guy Smith et la «Hobo» et «Bonne Chance» de Lewis Evans ancrée dans la Marguerite en 1956 À partir du journal de la "Bonne Chance« Le 13 Août 1956: 16:00 Entrée Marguerite, goélette "Hobo" sur l'ancrage, elle a déclaré avoir pris 18, et a quitté pour les îlots Rouge. Mardi, je pêche la moitié inondation à l'aube sur le point au-dessus du berceau - 4 truites, une bonne taille. Pêché ebb toute la matinée sur le Banc des Messieurs prenant 17, tous sauf 2 sur les mouches. Trevor (Evans) et John (Price) pêchées Petite Rigolette (la plus petite sortie de la Marguerite sur les bancs de sable à marée basse), en tenant 26. pêché inondation de l'après-midi, je de ne rien obtenir sur le canal principal, Trevor et John 18 sur la Petite Rigolette. Ensoleillé et calme. Ci-dessous, ils déversent l'eau du canot Nor-Shore de la plate-forme de la "Hobo" In 1972 the movie "Journey" was filmed at the Marguerite, and a small village was built at the head of the bay. The movie was directed by Paul Almond and starred Genvieve Bujold. En 1972, le film "Journey" a été filmé à la Marguerite, et un petit village a été construit à la tête de la baie. Le film a été réalisé par Paul Almond et inclus Genvieve Bujold. Remains of the Wharf, 1951 Les vestiges du quai, 1951 Remains of the Wharf, 1970's Les vestiges du quai, 1970's In 2005 Lewis, Tom and Alan Evans spent a night in the Marguerite on Al's boat the "Trillium", a "reenactment" of the many trips we took there with our father. We fished in all the usual spots but did not catch anything. The trout have made a comeback in recent years, but they are smarter than they used to be! En 2005, Lewis, Tom et Alan Evans ont passé une nuit dans la Marguerite sur le bateau de Al le «Trillium», une «répétition» des nombreux voyages que nous avons là-bas avec notre père. Nous avons pêché dans tous les endroits habituels, mais n'a rien attrapé. Les truites ont fait un retour au cours des dernières années, mais ils sont plus intelligents qu'ils étaient! 2014 we visited the "Ice Caves". At the foot of the large rockslide on the nrth side of the bay, ice can be found under the large boulders in July, and even in August the air was very cold. Natural air conditioning! Look for the small stream and follow it up the hill. 2014 nous avons visité les "grottes de glace". Au pied de la grande éboulement sur le côté nord de la baie, la glace peut être trouvé sous les grands rochers en Juillet. même en Août l'air était très froid. Climatisation naturelle! Cherchez le petit ruisseau et suivre jusqu'à la colline. 61 NEXT PAGE

  • Minnie Rhodes & Harry Morewood | tidesoftadoussac1

    Mary Elizabeth (Minnie) Rhodes 1857-1942 & Henry Francis (Harry) Morewood 1855-1916 ​ NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS This page under construction

  • R Lewis Evans & Betty Morewood Evans | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS R Lewis Evans 1911-1988 Betty Morewood Evans 1922-1993 NEXT PAGE Circa 1905 Tadoussac Dad's family before he was born, Dean Lewis Evans (sitting), his first wife May, his 3 children Basil, Trevor (with pipe) and Muriel. On May 7th, 1911, Emily Elizabeth (Bethune) Evans, at age 46, gave birth to her first and only child, Robert Lewis Evans. Her husband, the Reverend Dean Thomas Frye Lewis Evans, was 67 and the father of five adult children and already a grandfather. So baby Lewis entered this world with a readymade niece and nephew, and only nine years to get to know his father. Born in 1911, RLE held by his nephew Miles who was older than he was. RLE with his mother, Emily (Bethune) Evans RLE at Cap a Jack with his Dad Doris Molson and RLE on the beach in Tadoussac Dean Lewis Evans and his (second) family Miles Hudspeth and RLE on the beach in Tadoussac RLE with half-brothers Basil and Trevor Evans, about 1914 RLE with half-brother Trevor Evans, about 1916 RLE with friend Ralph Collyer Dad always loved this photo, with his friend Marjorique sailing a model of a lower-St Lawrence Yawl. Later he owned a boat almost exactly like this one, called the Bonne Chance. There he is, sailing with the dog Fancy. RLE and his dog at the cottage in Tadoussac RLE with his mother, and in a photo by Notman Above, RLE with his half-brothers Basil and Trevor, and father Dean Lewis Evans (Dean of Montreal), at the cottage in Tadoussac. At right on the same day, mother Emily, Kae, Miles and Muriel have joined in. St Stephen's Rectory in Montreal RLE beside Ann Dewart at Cap a Jack ​ RLE worked at a camp at Bon Echo, lots of sailing and building props circa 1930 RLE combining his interest in boats and stage sets! He seems to have mocked up an enormous miniature CSL boat and launched it! Lots of boats! The raft above wouldn't work in the Saguenay, probably above the dam at Moulin Baude, with Harry Dawson, cousin No complaints! RLE on a BOAT with 7 girls Below with the older crowd, tea at Pte a la Croix! Camping at Petit Bergeronnes above, and at Cape Eternity, probably by rowing in a nor-shore canoe Betty Morewood age about 16? on the Saguenay. It looks like Trevor Evans and Bill Morewood in the canoe. This photo was in RLE's photo album from the late 1930's, he married Betty in 1944. Late 1930's, RLE bought a small schooner built in Tancook Island, Nova Scotia, called it the Noroua The Tadoussac gang on the wharf circa 1939, l to r (Mickey) Ainslie Evans (Stephen), Mary Fowler, Marion Strong, Bill Morewood, Barbara Hampson (Alexander/Campbell), Jim Alexander (sitting), Teddy Price, Mary Hampson (Price), Evan Price, Jim Warburton, Jack Wallace, John Turcot RLE taught at Bishop's College School from 1933-1972. Above the only time I've ever seen him on skates much less in hockey gear. Notables include Graham Patriquin, Headmaster Grier, Oggy Glass, and RLE on the right. Mid-1930's, RLE is the coach, and on the team is EM Fisher, son of Evelyn (Meredith) Fisher, she is widow of Jim Williams (died in WW1, see his page). EM Fisher died in 2012. Small world in those days, they were definitely aware of the Tadoussac connection. RLE was a keen skier, coached the ski team at BCS. He broke his right arm badly in the 1930's, and this restricted movement meant he couldn't hold a gun properly (or salute) and it prevented him from serving in WW2. I didn't know about the cool car RLE owned until I went through these albums! He took it to Tadoussac in the winter in the 1939, left, "on the road between Cap a L'Aigle and St Simeon". Above on a sketchy ferry near Portneuf. Left in front of the Prep school at BCS. Below RLE teaching a class! RLE did this drawing of the Noroua and sent it to his future in-laws, the Morewoods, for a Christmas card - what could anyone want more than a picture of his boat! Betty (Morewood) Evans and R Lewis Evans on the beach in Tadoussac circa 1945? married but before kids? 1951 - the Noroua and the Bonne Chance together briefly at the wharf in Tadoussac. The Noroua was sold to someone in Ottawa, shown below on the delivery trip up the river, with John Price one of the crew. (Note I was born on July 4 1951 so I was probably a week or 2 old at this time! I made it to Tadoussac at the end of July, so I'm told) Mum and Dad in 1961 Us kids on a trip to Tad about 1963 Lewis, Tom, Alan, Anne. Lewis Evans in a Tadoussac with Betty 1961 at his desk in the Common Room at BCS and directing a play and all summer on the Saguenay The family in 1975 Back - Lew & Cathy, Alan, Heather, Tom and Rocky Front - Anne, Pauline Belton, Dad & Mum, Ian Kids - Carrie and Ian Belton Wedding of Tom and Heather 1976 Gord, Wilf, Heather, Joan, Gail (all Smiths) Heather, Hank Law, Tom, Suzanne Skolnick Mum, Dad, Alan, Anne, Cathy Kids - Ian and Carrie Belton NEXT PAGE about 1987 in Tadoussac Mum & Dad, Heather and I, and our kids Julia and Sarah R Lewis Evans died in 1988 at the age of 78. This biography is quite random, driven by the photographs that are available. Thus there's a lot missing, and many photos of boats! To be continued... On May 7th, 1911, Emily Elizabeth (Bethune) Evans, at age 46, gave birth to her first and only child, Robert Lewis Evans. Her husband, the Reverend Dean Thomas Frye Lewis Evans, was 67 and the father of five adult children and already a grandfather. So baby Lewis entered this world with a readymade niece and nephew, and only nine years to get to know his father. On October 19th, 1922, Caroline Annie (Rhodes) Morewood, at age 42, gave birth to her second child, Elizabeth Anne (Betty) Morewood. Her husband was her first cousin, Francis Edmund Morewood, who was 5 years her junior. Twenty months earlier, Carrie and Frank had produced a son, William Harold Morewood. On August 5th, 1944, at the Coupe in Tadoussac, 33-year-old Lewis asked 21-one-year-old Betty to marry him. She said yes, and their lives came together on December 27th of that year. Until the Dean died in 1920, the Evans family had spent their winters in Montreal and every summer in their house in Tadoussac, which at that time was the farthest east Price brothers house, later sold to the Beatties. After his death, however, mother and son moved to Toronto for the winter, but still got to Tadoussac each year. Emily must have been concerned that her son should have male role models in his life, so she had him attend Trinity College School – a boys boarding school in Port Hope, ON. Lewis liked the school and had positive memories of it. This is remarkable because on a personal level, these were difficult years. At the age of 14, he was hit by a severe case of alopecia, an autoimmune disorder whereby one’s hair falls out, and over the next year or so, he lost all his hair. When asked how Lewis handled this in an often unsympathetic boarding school environment, one of his classmates said that such was his quick wit that any boy who set out to tease him was swiftly put in his place. Between graduating from TCS and starting at Trinity College in Toronto, Lewis was taken on a European tour by his mother. They travelled extensively and visited many specialists in an effort to reverse the effects of alopecia. The tour was wonderful, the hair did not come back, and perhaps worst of all, they missed their summer in Tadoussac. This was the only summer Lewis missed in his 77 years. It was after this tour that Lewis chose to wear a wig, a decision he frequently regretted especially in the heat of the summer. Meanwhile, Betty, one of Col. William Rhodes’s many great-grandchildren, was growing up in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. She attended the Baldwin School for girls and subsequently Bryn Mawr and University of Pennsylvania. Her family would spend time in Tadoussac most summers, renting rooms in Catelier House (now the Maison du Tourisme) but then, in 1936, her father designed and built a house, now called Windward. From then on, she never missed a summer visit. In 1948, Frank Morewood sold Windward to Betty and Lewis for $1, and suddenly, Lewis, whose mother had died the year before, found himself with two cottages in Tadoussac. He chose to keep Windward, partly because it was newer, partly because it was politic, partly because of its view, but especially because he could see his boat at its buoy in the bay! At university, Lewis had studied English, graduating in 1933, and Betty had majored in business, graduating in 1944. Lewis followed through on his plan to be a teacher, receiving offers from a school in Bermuda and one in Lennoxville. Because Lennoxville was closer to Tadoussac, he started his career in 1934 at Bishop’s College School from which he retired in 1972. He did take a year away to get his teaching credential at University of London where he was delighted to have a front-row seat for the abdication of King Edward VIII and was on the very crowded street watching the parade leading to the coronation of George VI. Any career plans Betty had upon graduation were trumped by her summer engagement and winter wedding... and in the fullness of time, by the arrival of Anne, Lewis, Tom and Alan. She was of the generation when women were mothers and homemakers, and to these functions, Betty added the role of steadfast supporter of all that her husband did, and BCS benefitted from her unpaid and often unknown contribution. For the first 18 years of their marriage, Lewis was a Housemaster. Betty knew all the boys and welcomed them into her home as a matter of course. Every teacher new to BCS was invited to Sunday dinner, and she frequently found herself hosting parties for faculty and friends. She has been called a world-class knitter and a world-class worrier (especially about her children no matter how old they were). Meanwhile, Lewis, who had moved to the Upper School after five years teaching in the Prep, was completely immersed in the life of the school – teaching, coaching, directing plays and running his residences. He was one of the pioneers of ski racing in the Eastern Townships, and spent many hours freezing at the bottom of a hill, clipboard in one hand and stop watch in the other. He was an example of service and character. When he died, one Old Boy remembered him as “an oasis of calm in an otherwise harsh and demanding school.” Indeed, he was. But his contributions went beyond BCS. From the mid-50s until his retirement in 1972, he spearheaded the Lennoxville Players, directing many plays from British farces to Broadway musicals. This was a group of amateur “actors” from all levels of the community who were, like their leader, looking for an enjoyable night out... and all proceeds to go to a local charity. In 1972, Betty and Lewis retired to Brockville, Ontario. Here, they joined Tadoussac friends, Rae and Coosie Price and Jean and Guy Smith who had already retired to this comfortable town on the eastern end of the Thousand Islands. From there, they travelled to Tadoussac – for many years by boat, almost 700 kilometers down the St. Lawrence in their cabin cruiser, Anne of/de Tadoussac. For all their lives, home was where the family was, but Tadoussac was where the family was at home. The village, the river, the tides, the mountains, the beaches, the people, all had a strong hold on their hearts. In late spring, the family would leave Lennoxville before dawn on the first morning after the last teachers’ meeting, and at the end of the summer, they would return the day before the first meeting for the coming school year. After retirement, the summer would extend from the May long weekend until Thanksgiving. An accomplished sailor and boatman, Lewis knew every cove and anchorage on the Saguenay, learned from his own experience, but even more, from local captains whom he respected and adored, and, it would seem, they held him in equal esteem. Over the years, his passion for boats gave way to his passion for fishing. There were many overnight trips up the Saguenay, often to the Marguerite, to fish the falling tide, then the rising, then up early to start again. One can still see him standing in hip-waders off the point above the crib, rod in hand, pipe upside down against the drizzle, as dawn was lighting the sky. Betty and Lewis were practicing Christians, and while their church in Lennoxville tended to be the BCS Chapel, the one that they were most committed to was the Tadoussac Protestant Chapel. Betty’s great-grandfather had been instrumental in its creation, and Lewis’s father, the Dean, had, for decades, been the summer priest. In 1972 (RIGHT DATE PLEASE), Betty, undertook to organise several summer residents to needlepoint the altar kneeler cushions with images of local wild flowers, and for many years, Lewis served as the secretary on the church committee executive. They were also strong supporters of the Tadoussac Tennis Club. Though Lewis played more than Betty, each made a memorable comment about the game. In his later years, Lewis would stand on the court, ready to deliver a flat baseline forehand or backhand (being equally good at both) and declare, “I’ll do anything within reason, but I will not run!” Betty’s line was less attitudinal, but gives an insight to why she did not play as much: “I find every shot easy to get back except the last one!” And then there was golf, which Betty loved and Lewis tolerated, and Bridge, which… Betty loved and Lewis tolerated. Their love for Tadoussac is best articulated in Lewis’s book, Tides of Tadoussac, and his fascination with the history of the place in his fictional Privateers and Traders. Betty and Lewis were amused at the double numbers that marked their lives: Lewis born in ‘11, Betty in ‘22, Lewis graduates in ‘33, Betty in ‘44, marriage in ‘44... so it was not a surprise that in 1988, Lewis died at age 77. Betty survived him just 4 ½ years. Theirs was a great love, a love of each other, a love of family and friends, a love of people and community, and a love of place, and that love of place, of that place, of Tadoussac, has been inherited by each of their four children and by each of their families. God gave all men all earth to love, But, since our hearts are small, Ordained for each one spot should prove Beloved over all. Rudyard Kipling ​ written by Lewis Evans

  • Rhodes Cottage | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS Rhodes Cottage "Brynhyfryd"​ 1860-1931 NEXT PAGE Col. William Rhodes (1821-1892) was the second son of a landowner in England, and came to Quebec City in the 1840's. He married Anne Catherine Dunn (1823-1911) from Trois Rivieres. They met the Price family who had a lumber mill and other houses in Tadoussac, and they built a summer residence "Brynhyfryd" in Tadoussac in 1860. The Russell family built a similar house next door shortly thereafter (Spruce Cliff), and Col Rhodes was part of the group that built the original hotel in 1864. The Rhodes family had 9 children, the cottage was expanded by adding on at both ends, and remodelled several times. The house burned down in 1931 and was rebuilt in 1932. Both old and new houses are called Brynhyfryd and the owners are descendants of the Colonel and his wife. There are currently 15 houses in Tadoussac owned by direct descendants of the Rhodeses. ​ Colonel William Rhodes (1821-1892) était le fils d'un propriétaire terrien en Angleterre, et est venu à la ville de Québec dans les années 1840. Il a épousé Anne Catherine Dunn (1823-1911) de Trois-Rivières. Ils ont rencontré la famille Price qui avait une scierie et d'autres maisons à Tadoussac, et ils ont construit une résidence d'été "Brynhyfryd" à Tadoussac en 1860. La famille Russell a construit une maison semblable à côté peu de temps après (Spruce Cliff), et le Col Rhodes faisait partie du groupe qui a construit le premier hôtel en 1864. La famille Rhodes avait 9 enfants, la maison a été élargi en ajoutant sur ​​les deux extrémités, et remodelé à plusieurs reprises. La maison a brûlé (1931) et a été reconstruite en 1932. Les deux maisons anciennes et nouvelles sont appelés Brynhyfryd et les propriétaires sont des descendants de Colonel et sa femme. Il ya actuellement 15 maisons à Tadoussac détenues par les descendants directs du Rhodeses. About 1864, the Hotel in the foreground, the 5 Price houses in the main street (note they were all the same originally) and Spruce Cliff and the Rhodes Cottage. Vers 1864, l'Hôtel au premier plan, les 5 maisons Price sur la rue principale (à noter qu'ils étaient tous la même origine) et Spruce Cliff et le Rhodes Cottage. Late 1800's, before the house was expanded. That's Colonel and Mrs Rhodes on the right. Does she look pregnant? She has a baby pram - 3 children were born after 1861. Lots of "help". Fin des années 1800, avant que la maison a été agrandi. C'est le Colonel et Mme Rhodes sur la droite. Est-elle enceinte? Elle a un landau de bébé - 3 enfants sont nés après 1861. Just after it was built in 1861, from a painting by Washington Friend (American watercolorist) owned by W Lewis Evans (note bathing huts on the beach). Peu de temps après il a été construit en 1861, d'une peinture par Washington Friend (aquarelliste américain) de la collection de Lewis & Cathy Evans (notez les cabines de bains sur la plage) about 1890 Inside the cottage, Col Rhodes reading, John Morewood looking at the camera, his brother Frank Morewood asleep. That's Carrie Rhodes on the far right, they were first cousins who later married, my grandparents! L'intérieur du chalet, Col Rhodes lecture, John Morewood en regardant la caméra, son frère Frank Morewood endormi. C'est Carrie Rhodes à l'extrême droite, ils étaient cousins ​​germains qui épousa plus tard, mes grands-parents! 1890's Lennox Williams is the man with the BCS hat in both these photos. The house has been expanded at both ends. Lennox Williams est l'homme avec le chapeau de BCS dans ces deux photographies. La maison a été élargie aux deux extrémités. ​ ​ "Granny" Anne Dunn Rhodes in the middle. Looks a lot like Susie's house! At right the fireplace, similar to the one that's there now, probably in the same location. Mary Wallace reading. Looks like a tree, maybe holding up the roof, with small pegs or branches to hang stuff from. "Granny" Anne Dunn Rhodes dans le milieu. Ressemble beaucoup à la maison de Susie! À droite la cheminée, semblable à celui qui est là maintenant, probablement au même endroit. Mary Wallace lecture. Resemble un arbre, peut-être tenir le toit, avec des branches pour accrocher des choses. Nan Rhodes Williams and her son Jimmie Williams about 1895 Ping-Pong Team Play About 1905 Gertrude Williams (Alexander) on the right, Granny and Sidney Williams on the porch Going Fishing about 1902 Lennox Williams, Poitras, John Morewood, Frank Morewood (kneeling), Charlie Rhodes Aller à la pêche There's a Basketball net! It was invented in 1891 by a Canadian. Il ya un filet de basket-ball! Il a été inventé en 1891 par un Canadien. Probably heading to the CSL boat for the trip home, maybe Frank and John Morewood. Probablement aller au bateau CSL pour le voyage de retour, peut-être Frank et John Morewood. Late 1800's. The town hasn't made it up the hill, but there were houses at the top of the golf course (upper left) Fin des années 1800. La ville n'a pas fait jusqu'à la colline, mais il y avait des maisons en haut du terrain de golf (en haut à gauche) Zooming in From the bay - Note a BOARDWALK at the top of the bank between the two houses, and a clear path down to the seawall and hut on the beach. And a landslide or 2! ​ De la baie - Note Une promenade au sommet de la banque entre les deux maisons, et une voie claire vers la digue et cabane sur la plage. Et un glissement de terrain ou deux! ​ ​ ​ People on the boardwalk! with a canopy! This is likely the Russell family from Spruce Cliff, if you can identify them please help! ​ Les gens sur le trottoir! avec un auvent! Il est probable que la famille Russell de Spruce Cliff, si vous pouvez les identifier s'il vous plaît aider! Frank Morewood's drawing shows new enclosed rooms where there used to be verandah, for the expanding family. The work was done, but with plain white finish, maybe stucco? (below) and the end porch was left open. Frank was in his 20's and later designed the new Brynhyfryd (1932). It's about 1910, Col. Rhodes is gone (1821-1892) but Granny is still alive in her 80's and she has 5 living children (of 9) and over 20 grandchildren under the age of 20!! The house keeps expanding. Le dessin de Frank Morewood montre chambres nouvelles clos où il y avait autrefois une véranda, pour la famille en pleine expansion. Le travail a été fait, mais avec une finition de couleur blanche, peut-être stuc? (ci-dessous) et le porche de la fin a été laissée ouverte. Frank était dans ses années 20 et plus tard a conçu le nouveau Brynhyfryd (1932). C'est vers 1910, le Colonel Rhodes est parti (1821-1892), mais Granny est toujours vivante dans ses années 80 et elle a cinq enfants vivants (de 9) et plus de 20 petits-enfants de moins de 20! La maison ne cesse de s'élargir. Mary Williams, Sydney Williams, Jim Williams, Evelyn Meredith, Lennox Williams, Nan Rhodes Williams, Gertrude Williams, Bobby Morewood about 1912-14, Granny Anne Catherine Dunn Rhodes (1823-1911) has died and Lenny got the house. Sports every day! Golf, Tennis and of course PingPong! Sport tous les jours! Golf, tennis et bien sûr PingPong! More changes to the house D'autres changements à la maison Lenny in the garden with grandchildren Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker) and her brother Jim, circa 1922. At left with Nan. They are in their early 60's, Lenny lived to 99 (1958). Lenny's Study Lenny dans le jardin avec petits-enfants Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker) et son frère Jim, circa 1922. À gauche avec Nan. Ils sont dans leur début des années 60, Lenny a vécu à 99 (1958). Major changes on the road side, seems like a different house. This is just before it burned in 1932 Des changements importants sur le bord de la route, semble être une autre maison. C'est juste avant l'incendie de 1932 The "new" Brynhyfryd looks like this, built in 1932. La «nouvelle» Brynhyfryd ressemble à ceci, construit en 1932. 37 NEXT PAGE

  • Museum | tidesoftadoussac1

    Molson Museum and the "Bonne Chance" NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS This is a crazy part of my family history in Tadoussac! My father, Lewis Evans, loved old wooden boats, and in 1951 he bought an old Lower St Lawrence Yawl and named it the "Bonne Chance". It was built about 1870 on Ile D'Orleans. This was our boat until 1966, when it was bought by Jack Molson and James Beattie, and installed in a barn built by Pierre Tremblay near the lake in Tadoussac, where it remains preserved today. ​ The barns contain a vast collection of artifacts collected over 50 years ago, and now part of The Canadian Heritage of Quebec. In recent years they have held an open house in August to give the public a chance to see the collection. Ceci est une partie folle de l'histoire de ma famille à Tadoussac! Mon père, Lewis Evans, aimait vieux bateaux en bois, et en 1951, il a acheté un vieux Bas-Saint-Laurent Yawl et nommé le "Bonne Chance". Il a été construit vers 1870 sur l'Ile d'Orléans. Ce fut notre bateau jusqu'en 1966, quand elle a été achetée par Jack Molson et James Beattie, et installé dans une grange construite par Pierre Tremblay près du lac à Tadoussac, où il reste aujourd'hui conservé. Les granges contiennent une vaste collection d'artefacts recueillis il y a plus de 50 ans, et fait maintenant partie de l'Héritage canadien du Québec. Au cours des dernières années, ils ont tenu une journée portes ouvertes en Août pour donner une chance de voir la collection au public. The Yawl in the beach in Tadoussac in 1950, with Capt Edgar Dallaire (the tall man) probably talking about boats! My brother and sister in the foreground, probably not understanding. La Yole dans la plage de Tadoussac en 1950, avec le capitaine Edgar Dallaire (le homme de grande taille) parle probablement de bateaux! Mon frère et soeur au premier plan, probablement pas comprendre. I could stand up in the cabin when I was small, but with 4'6" headroom it got much smaller as I grew up! Je pourrais tenir debout dans la cabine quand j'étais petit, mais avec 4'6" espace libre il eu beaucoup plus petite que j'ai grandi! Heading up the Saguenay circa 1960 on the "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans and his 3 sons, Alan, Tom and Lew Jr., and the dog Jeff. En remontant le Saguenay vers 1960 sur la "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans et ses 3 fils, Alan, Tom et Lew Jr., et le chien Jeff. D.F.T. & T.F.D. The "White Boat" above circa 1910, below circa 1960, and at right today in the Museum. Le "White Boat" ci-dessus vers 1910, ci-dessous vers 1960, et à droite aujourd'hui au musée. NEXT PAGE

  • Tadoussac Ferry Historique Photos

    PREVIOUS The Ferries - Des Traversiers Tadoussac < > Baie Sainte Catherine ​ NEXT PAGE 25 new photos Jan 2019 In the early 1900's the Price Tugboats "Muriel" and the "Mahone" carried passangers between Riviere du Loup, Baie Sainte Catherine, and Tadoussac, and other places. Au début des années 1900, les remorqueurs "Muriel" et le "Mahone" de l'entreprise Price ont transporté des passangers entre Riviere du Loup, Baie Ste Catherine et Tadoussac, et d'autres endroits. ​ ​ ​ MURIEL Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! L'équipage du "Mahone" Capitaine Johnny DesLauriers MAHONE The "Mahone" at Anse à L'Eau, Tadoussac. The "Thor", one of the most powerful tugs of the Price Company, was used on the Saguenay for several years for the refueling of shipyards and the transportation of employees. In 1911, the Trans-Saint Laurent Ltee puts the Thor into operation, between Riviere-du-Loup and Tadoussac. Built in Lévis in 1881, this side-paddlewheel steamer is only used during the summer season and for Sunday excursions, it will be sold in 1916. ​ The Thor at Anse à L'Eau, Tadoussac. THOR Le "Thor", l'un des plus puissants remorqueurs de la compagnie Price, a été utilisé pendant plusieurs années sur le Saguenay pour le ravitaillement en carburant des chantiers et le transport des employés. En 1911, le Trans-Saint Laurent Ltee met en service le Thor, entre Rivière-du-Loup et Tadoussac. Construit à Lévis en 1881, ce paquebot à roue à aubes latérale n’est utilisé que pendant la saison estivale et pour les excursions du dimanche, il sera vendu en 1916. ​ Le Thor à l'Anse à l'Eau, Tadoussac. February 15, 1909 ​ ICE BRIDGE ​ The last cold of January contributed to form the ice bridge between Tadoussac and Baie Ste Catherine. The first to venture there was M. Gabriel Boulianne of Tadoussac, on February 7th, M. Boulianne was accompanied by his two nephews. ÉMÉRILLON PIXIE B 1920's Ferry? No photos ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ The "Pixie B" Painting by Frank Morewood, about 1930. The goelette at the wharf in Tadoussac is the Pixie B and it towed the barge which could carry two cars. Wreck of the Pixie B. It finished its career next to the Bar Orace in Ile aux Coudres early 80's photo Éric Desbiens ​ La "Pixie B" Painting par Frank Morewood, circa 1930. La goélette au quai de Tadoussac est le Pixie B et remorquer le chaland qui pourrait transporter deux voitures. ​ Épave du Pixie B. Il finit sa carrière à coté du bar Chez Orace à l'Ile aux Coudres au début 80 photo Éric Desbiens ​ The "N.B.T." (Noel Brisson Transport) Built by Armand Imbeau in 1939?, 75' long, carried up to six cars on deck. Note the gap in the far gunwale for the cars, and the two ramps on deck. ​ Le "N.B.T." (Noel Brisson Transport) Construit par Armand Imbeau en 1939?, 75' long, porté jusqu'à six voitures. Notez l'écart de l'autre côté pour les voitures, et les deux rampes sur le pont. ​ N.B.T. Text describing the Tadoussac-Baie Ste Catherine crossing in the late 30's in the biography of Jean-Louis Gendron, former NCB Bank employee. >>>>>>>>>>> Texte décrivant le passage frontalier Tadoussac-Baie Ste Catherine à la fin des années 30 dans la biographie de Jean-Louis Gendron, ancien employé de NCB Bank. >>>>>>>>>>> The "Jacques Cartier" The first real car ferry, until 1958, carried 12 cars. ​ Le "Jacques Cartier" Le premier vrai ferry, jusqu'en 1958, place pour 12 voitures ​ JACQUES CARTIER ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Le Jacques Cartier et un bateau CSL Baie Ste Catherine Circa 1952 Une belle photo de Jack Molson ​ Au quai d'Anse à l'Eau, Tadoussac . At right, the Morewood family, Bill, Betty (my mother) and their mother Carrie (Rhodes) Morewood. Vehicles are getting bigger in the 1950's! Larger ferries are coming soon. Both trucks are PUIZE TRANSPORT. Les véhicules grossissent dans les années 50! Des ferries plus importants arrivent bientôt. Les deux camions sont PUIZE TRANSPORT August 1950, the CSL Quebec burned at the wharf, and the Jacques Cartier came over to help. En août 1950, la CSL Québec a brûlé au quai et la Jacques Cartier est venue aider. What happened to the Jacques Cartier after 1958? Some where on the St Lawrence, not sure of the dates. These photos are NOT in Tadoussac! Qu'est-il arrivé au Jacques Cartier après 1958 ? Somewhere on the St Lawrence, not sure of dates. Ces photos ne sont PAS à Tadoussac! THE SORELOIS: Steel ferry built in 1899 in Montreal, and used along with Jacques Cartier between Baie-Sainte-Catherine and Tadoussac. SORELOIS LE SORELOIS: Traversier en acier construit en 1899 à Montréal et utilisé avec Jacques Cartier entre Baie-Sainte-Catherine et Tadoussac. Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! SAGUENAY and CHARLEVOIX ​ ​ ​ ​ The "Saguenay" 21 cars and the "Charlevoix" 27 cars. 1958 to 1980 La "Saguenay" 21 voitures and la "Charlevoix" 27 voitures. 1958 à 1980 1962 on the ferry in winter My mother Betty Evans admiring the ice on the anchor winch. My brother Lewis Evans in the ski mask (it was cold!) 1962 sur le ferry en hiver Ma mère Betty Evans admirant la glace sur le treuil d'ancre. Mon frère Lewis Evans dans le masque de ski (il faisait froid!) 1964 The Royal Yacht "Brittania" escorted by the destroyer "HMCS Restigouche" 1964 Le yacht royal "Britannia" escorté par le destroyer "NCSM Restigouche" 1960's The ferry trying to pull the "St Lawrence" off the sandbar (see the SHIPWRECKS page) 1960's One of many construction projects on the ferry wharf at Anse à L'Eau 1960 Le ferry en essayant de tirer le "Saint-Laurent" hors du banc de sable (Voir la page SHIPWRECKS) 1960 Un des nombreux projets de construction sur le quai du traversier à Anse à L'Eau circa 1975 Forest Fire on La Boule The other ferry is probably the "Pierre de Saurel" in service from 1974 circa 1975 Feu de forêt sur La Boule L'autre traversier est probablement la "Pierre de Saurel" en service à partir de 1974 circa 1972 We used to "see people off" saying goodbye to Tadoussac at the end of the summer at the ferry wharf, probably the McCarters. ​ Evan Ballantyne, Guy and Jean Smith, Susie Scott (Bruemmer), David Younger, Trevor Williams , Steven Webster, (Belle Ballantyne (Corrigan), David Williams (kneeling), Jennifer Williams, Cinny Price and her pet duck (who has a pet duck?), Alan Evans, Gwen Skutezky, Enid (Price) Williams, Sally Williams, Mary Fowler, Penny Younger circa 1972 Nous dirions adieu aux personnes qui quittent Tadoussac à la fin de l'été au quai du traversier Wait! That's not the right way! Where are you going? Attendez! Tu ne vas pas dans le bon sens! Où allez-vous? Sketch of the proposed bridge across the Saguenay It would be the 10th longest span in the world and the largest in the western hemisphere. The latest study locates the bridge at La Boule, 8 km up the Saguenay, unlike these images. ​ Croquis du pont proposé pour traverser le Saguenay Ce serait la 10e plus longue dans le monde et le plus grand de l'hémisphère occidental La dernière étude situe le pont à La Boule, à 8 km du Saguenay, contrairement à ces images. MV Armand-Imbeau (capacity 367 passengers and 75 vehicles) MV Jos-Deschênes (capacity 367 passengers and 75 vehicles) MV Félix-Antoine-Savard (capacity 376 passengers and 70 vehicles) 2016 New Ferries are scheduled to arrive! 2016 Nouveaux Ferries devraient arriver! NEXT PAGE Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! NEXT PAGE

  • Tides of Tadoussac

    GOLF in Tadoussac ​ 1890's - Houses at the top of the hill. The hotel was enlarged in 1898 so this is earlier, before golf? 1890 - Maisons en haut de la colline. L'hôtel a été agrandi en 1898 donc c'est plus tôt, avant de golf? NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS 1901 - This looks like the 8th gully, probably they are on the green. They have caddies and spectators! Three ladies with umbrellas, either it's very sunny or raining. The shack with the white roof appears in other photos below. 1901 - Cela ressemble à la 8e ravin, probablement, ils sont sur ​​le green. Ils ont caddies et les spectateurs! Trois dames avec des parapluies, soit il y a du soleil ou la pluie. La cabane avec le toit blanc apparaît dans d'autres photos ci-dessous. 1901 - Houses can be seen at the top of the road. The gully that runs across the course between the third and the eighth can be seen, it has grown in 100+ years! 1901 - Les maisons peuvent être vus au dessus de la route. Le ravin qui traverse le parcours entre la troisième et la huitième peut être vu, il a grandi dans 100 + ans! Terrain de golf de la septième pièce The golf course in the early 1900's. This photo is a colorized post card, the photo credited to Notman, a well known photographer at the time. Le terrain de golf dans le début des années 1900. Cette photo est une carte postale colorisée, la photo crédité de Notman, photographe bien connu à l'époque. Several years later>> Plusiers annees plus tard>> This small building appears in the photo above, it is where the first green is now, and they were driving balls up the hill, early 1900's. <> 1935 De derrière la cinquième vert >> A dedicated golfer 2013 Un golfeur dédié NEXT PAGE

  • Anchorages | tidesoftadoussac1

    Saguenay Anchorages By R Lewis Evans NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS PREVIOUS NEXT PAGE

bottom of page