Search Results

161 items found

  • Tom Evans Art

    PREVIOUS Tom Evans Paintings NEXT PAGE La plupart de mes peintures représentent Tadoussac et la rivière Saguenay. ​ Les toiles sont exposées chez moi au 13 Rue du Parc Languedoc, Tadoussac, si vous souhaitez les voir envoyez moi un email et nous fixerons un horaire. tomfevans@icloud.com Most of my paintings are of Tadoussac and the Saguenay River. ​ The paintings are on display at my house at 13 Rue du Parc Languedoc, Tadoussac, if you would like to see them send me an email and we will set up a time. tomfevans@icloud.com Group 1 $600 Group 2 $400 Group 3 $200 295 Cale Seche Houses ~1930's 16x20"Acrylic 2022 266 Tennis Club with Players 15x21" Acrylic 2020 296 Beach at Tadoussac August 2020 16x20"Acrylic 2022 SOLD 295 Cale Seche Houses ~1930's 16x20"Acrylic 2022 1/9 273 HAB loading at Grosse Roche 258 CSL Boat passing the Point 14x18" Acrylic 2019 255 Marina Boats 14x18" Acrylic 2019 SOLD 273 HAB loading at Grosse Roche 1/10 185 Waterfall on the Saguenay 16x20" Acrylic 2016 259 Canoe at Cap a Jack 163 Bay from the Edge 15x20" Oil 2015 SOLD 185 Waterfall on the Saguenay 16x20" Acrylic 2016 1/12 Other works not for sale Autres oeuvres non à vendre 23 Old Wharf in Nova Scotia.jpg 16 Baccaro.jpg 231 Winter TadBeach1965 23 Old Wharf in Nova Scotia.jpg 1/60 NEXT PAGE

  • Tides of Tadoussac Quebec - Rare Historic Photographs

    TABLE DES MATIÈRES & DATES importantes en bas de cette page NEXT PAGE TABLE OF CONTENTS & Key DATES at the bottom of this page DATES NAVIGATION use the Pull-Down Page Menus above OR use the NEXT PAGE buttons at right OR use the page photos below ​ LA NAVIGATION utilisez les menus déroulants de la page ci-dessus OU utilisez les boutons NEXT PAGE à droite OU utilisez les photos de la page ci-dessous Moulins du Saguenay Mills NEW PAGE or search! ou cherchez! Drydock - La Cale Sèche & Armand Imbeau NEW PAGE TADOUSSAC old photos Maps & Images Hudson's Bay Station Buildings Disappeared Anse à L'Eau Then and Now Golf​ View from High Up Horses, Buggies and Cars Molson Museum The Dunes BOATS & SHIPS Shipwrecks The Old Wooden Wharf Yawls & Small Boats Canoes,Punts,Rowboats Dallaire's Boat Goelettes Ferries SAGUENAY Moulins du Saguenay Saguenay Mills Cap a Jack Endroits Intéressants Lark Reef, La Toupie Anchorages 1930's 1950's High Tide Club Charlevoix Crater HOUSES Lilybell Rhodes Paintings by Tom Evans ART Benmore, Quebec Rhodes Cottage Spruce Cliff Fletcher Radford Rhodes - Family Tree RHODES FAMILY William Rhodes&Ann Smith William Rhodes & Anne Dunn Uncle James Rhodes Armitage Rhodes Godfrey Rhodes EVANS William Rhodes Betty and Lewis Evans Jim Williams RUSSELL William Russell & Fanny Eliza Pope​ CONTACT PAGE At the confluence of the St. Lawrence and Saguenay rivers, Tadoussac and its surrounding area were a meeting place and a crossroads for trade between First Nations people that have been here for 8000 years. These two major waterways enabled European explorers and traders to enter into the continent. Natives traded with Basques whalers and Breton cod fishermen as early as the 14th Century. As he was sailing up the St. Lawrence in 1535, Jacques Cartier was taken aback by the sheer beauty of the area and dropped anchor in the bay to visit. Pierre de Chauvin built a fur-trading post in 1600, the first building in New France. In May of 1603, Samuel de Champlain sealed an alliance between the French and the First Nations near Tadoussac. It was a commercial, military and foundational agreement that would lead to the establishment of Québec City five years later. After having lived off the fur trade, fishing and whaling, and then the forest industry, in 1864 the village built its first hotel to accommodate summer vacationers. Since then, tourism has been the pillar of local and regional socioeconomic life. ​ ​ ​ Please email me more DATES to add to this list 1535 Jacques Cartier discovers the Saguenay Fjord 1600 Construction of a house and establishment of a fur trading post by Pierre de Chauvin 1647&1747 Chapel built 1838 Price Sawmill built 1848 Price Sawmill closed 1859 Hudson's Bay Post closed 1860 Brynhyfryd built 1861 Spruce Cliff built 1861 Molson Beattie house built 1862 Tadalac built 1864 Tadoussac Hotel built 1864 Powel/Bailey House built 1864 Cid's built 1865 Price Row built 1867 Protestant Chapel built 1869 A rudimentary road links Les Escoumins to Tadoussac 1870 Hudson's Bay Post Demolished 1873 (Spring) The Governor General of Canada, the Marquis Dufferin, builds his summer residence in Tadoussac. 1874 Establishment of a salmon fish farm by Samuel Wilmot in the former facilities of William Price at Anse-à-l'Eau. 1885-9 Église de la Sainte-Croix built 1899-1901 Tadoussac Hotel expansion 1912? Wharf built 1914 Piddington built Ivanhoe 1923 Bourgouin & Dumont Fire 1927 A ferry between Baie-Sainte-Catherine and Tadoussac is in service year round 1927 CSL St Lawrence Launched 1928 CSL Tadoussac and Quebec launched 1931 Destruction by fire of Radford House 1932 Destruction by fire of Brynhyfryd, rebuilt the same yea 1932 Maison Molson/Beattie or Noel Brisson built (Moulin Baude) 1936 Windward built 1942 New Hotel Tadoussac built 1942 Maison Chauvin reconstruction 1942 Power Station at Moulin Baude built 1946 Destruction by fire of Église de la Sainte-Croix 1948 Turcot House built 1950 Destruction by fire of the CSL Quebec at the wharf 1966 End of CSL boats 1986 Webster house built À la confluence du Saint-Laurent et de la rivière du Saguenay. Tadoussac et ses proches environs constituaient un lieu de rassemblement et un carrefour d’échanges entre Premières Nations, présentes sur le territoire depuis 8 000 ans. Ces cours d’eau majeurs ont permis aux explorateurs et aux commerçants venus d’Europe de pénétrer le continent. Dès le XIVe siècle, les autochtones ont commercé avec les chasseurs basques de baleines et les pêcheurs bretons de morue. En 1535, alors qu’il remonte le Saint-Laurent, Jacques Cartier est saisi par sa beauté du site et jette l'ancre dans la baie pour le visiter. Pierre de Chauvin y construit un poste de traite de fourrures en 1600, le premier bâtiment de la Nouvelle-France. En mai 1603, Samuel de Champlain scelle tout près de Tadoussac une alliance entre les Français et les peuples autochtones. Il s’agit d’une entente commerciale, militaire et d’établissement qui ouvre la voie à la fondation de Québec cinq ans plus tard. Après avoir vécu du commerce des fourrures, de la pêche et de la chasse à la baleine, puis de l’industrie forestière, c’est en 1864 que le village construit le premier hôtel pour accueillir les villégiateurs estivaux. Depuis, le tourisme constitue un pilier de la vie socioéconomique locale et régionale. ​ S'il vous plaît écrivez-moi plus de DATES à ajouter à cette liste 1535 Jacques Cartier découvre le fjord du Saguenay 1600 Construction d'une maison et établissement d'un poste de traite des fourrures par Pierre de Chauvin 1647&1747 Chapelle construite 1838 Scierie Price construite 1848 Prix Scierie fermée 1859 Fermeture du poste de la Baie d'Hudson 1860 Brynhyfryd construit 1861 Spruce Cliff construite 1861 Maison Molson Beattie construite 1862 Tadalac construit 1864 Tadoussac Hôtel construit 1864 Construction de la maison Powel/Bailey 1864 Cid construit 1865 Price Row construit 1867 Chapelle protestante construite 1869 Une route rudimentaire relie Les Escoumins à Tadoussac 1870 Poste de la Baie d'Hudson démoli 1873 (printemps) Le gouverneur général du Canada, le marquis Dufferin, construit sa résidence d'été à Tadoussac. 1874 Établissement d'une pisciculture de saumon par Samuel Wilmot dans les anciennes installations de William Price à Anse-à-l'Eau. 1885-9 Église de la Sainte-Croix construite 1899-1901 Agrandissement de l'hôtel Tadoussac 1912 ? Quai construite 1914 Piddington construit Ivanhoe 1923 Destruction par le feu Bourgouin & Dumont 1927 Un traversier entre Baie-Sainte-Catherine et Tadoussac est en service à l'année 1927 CSL St Lawrence lancé 1928 CSL Tadoussac and Quebec lancé 1931 Destruction par le feu de Radford House 1932 Destruction par le feu de Brynhyfryd, reconstruit la même année 1932 Maison Molson/Beattie ou Noel Brisson built (Moulin Baude) 1936 Windward construit 1942 Nouvel Hôtel Tadoussac construit 1942 Reconstruction de la Maison Chauvin 1942 Construction de la centrale électrique du Moulin Baude 1946 Destruction par le feu de l'église de la Sainte-Croix 1948 Maison Turcot construite 1950 Destruction par le feu du CSL Québec au quai 1966 Fin des bateaux CSL 1986 Construction de la maison Webster ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ NEXT PAGE

  • Campbell, Robert Peel

    Campbell, Robert Peel Back to ALL Bios ​ Robert Peel William Campbell 1853 - 1929 Robert Peel William Campbell was born in St. Hilaire Québec on August 27th, 1853. He was the second son of Major Thomas Edmund Campbell, seigneur of Rouville, and his wife Henriette-Julie Juchereau Duchesnay. Thomas Campbell became seigneur upon his wife’s inheritance of the seigneury from her father, Ignace-Michel-Louis-Antoine d’Irumberry de Salaberry. Robert’s great uncle was Charles de Salaberry, CB, who led the Canadian troops at the battle of Chateauguay in their defeat of a numerically superior American army advancing on Montreal during the War of 1812. He grew up in the Manoir Rouville, a Tudor style mansion located on the south bank of the Richelieu River, in the shadow on the majestic Mount St. Hilaire. His youth would have been spent exploring the countryside of St. Hilaire and helping his father with development of his 150-acre model farm, a large portion of which was devoted to the nurturing of trees. Owing to his mother’s French-Canadian roots and his father’s British heritage, he was completely fluent in both English and French. This ability would serve him well later in his life. He attended Bishop’s College School (BCS) in Lennoxville. He continued his studies at the University of Bishop’s College completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in June of 1873 and a Masters of Arts degree in June of 1876. At the age of 22, this was quite an accomplishment for the day. He went on to study law at Laval University and with the completion of his L.L.B. was awarded the Dufferin Gold Medal. The medal was an official British commendation awarded by the then Governor General Lord Dufferin, to Canadian students and athletes who had achieved high excellence in academics and athletics. While at BCS he would have met boys with ties to Tadoussac. The Rhodes boys were all around his age - Armitage (B. 1848), Godfrey (B. 1850), William (B. 1851), Francis (B. 1853) and Robert (B. 1855). As Robert’s father Thomas and William Rhodes were both officers in the British Army in Canada at one time in their lives, it is entirely possible that there were family ties before the BCS days. One can imagine these young men leaving Québec on a steamer bound for Tadoussac with the entire summer ahead filled with outdoor adventure on the Saguenay River. Robert became a great friend of the Rhodes and Williams families and spent many summers visiting their summer home on the banks of Tadoussac Bay. Robert was called to the Québec Bar in 1877 and practised law in Québec City. He was appointed Assistant Clerk of the Legislative Council of the Province of Québec in 1883. The Legislative Council was the unelected upper house of the bicameral legislature in the province from 1867 to its disbandment in 1968. Concurrently, he was appointed English Journal and English Translator for the Council, no doubt because of his proficiency in both languages. In 1893, he was appointed Clerk of Private Bills and Railways for the Province. He became Clerk of the Legislative Council in 1909. The title of King’s Counsel was conferred upon him in 1903. At some time between 1882 and 1885 he purchased the property know as Kirk Ella from John Brustall. The 83-acre property was located on the opposite side for Rue St. Louis from Godfrey Rhodes residence Cataraqui. The house on the property was destroyed by fire in 1879 after Burstall had done extensive renovations. A new residence would have been built by Robert Campbell. He lived at Kirk Ella until his death. Robert Campbell never married. Throughout his life he was devoted to the institutions which were responsible for his education and to the church. For many years he was a member of the Board of Directors of the University of Bishop’s College. He took a leading role in the administration of the affairs of the University. In 1907 and in recognition of his many years of service he was awarded the degree of Honorary Doctorate of Laws by the University. He was also Chairman of the Board of Directors of BCS from 1908 to 1912 and a Trustee of King’s Hall Compton. It was probably through his association with the Anglican Church in Québec that he came to be such good friends with Lennox Williams and his wife Nan. Robert became Chancellor and secretary of the Diocese of Québec in 1905, and had been associated with the church in Québec for many years. While being 6 years older than Lennox Williams, Robert would have known him and his father James at BCS, and certainly would have developed a close bond while Lennox was the minister at St. Matthew’s Anglican Church in Québec City. Robert died at Kirk Ella in Québec City in 1929. The stories of his time in Tadoussac are lost to the passage of time. The plaque placed in his memory in the Chapel recognizes his long and dedicated service to the Province of Québec, his university, his church and the great esteem with which he was held by the summer residents of Tadoussac of that generation. Lennox John Leggat _______________ Sources: Dictionary of Canadian Biography Volume X – Thomas Edmund Campbell Wikipedia – Thomas Edmund Campbell Prominent People of the Province of Quebec in Professional, Social and Business Life, 1923 The Mitre, University of Bishop’s College Volume 37 No.3 December 1929 Pedigree, The Children of the (Late) Colonel William Rhodes of Benmore, Quebec, Canada

  • Languedoc, Erie (Janes) & George de Guerry

    Languedoc, Erie (Janes) & George de Guerry Back to ALL Bios ​ Erie Russell Janes & George de Guerry Languedoc (1863-1941) (1860-1941) Erie Russell Janes (b. 1863 in Montreal) was the daughter of Mary Frances Russell and her husband, William D. B. Janes. Soon after her birth, Erie’s mother died and she went to Quebec to live with her grandparents, Willis Russell and his wife, Rebecca Page Sanborn. Willis Russell, her grandfather, was one of the first Quebec residents to build a summer home at Tadoussac and from her childhood until her death, Erie spent many summer months each year at Tadoussac. When Willis died in 1887, Erie sold out her share of the family house in Tad (“Spruce Cliff”) and built a house opposite the Roman Catholic Church called “Russellhurst”. In 1911 at age 48, Erie married the widower, George de Guerry Languedoc who brought with him his daughter Adele. In his lifetime, George Languedoc was a civil engineer and architect, and for the first two years of their married life they lived at Port Arthur, Ontario. Subsequently, they moved to Ottawa where Erie remained until her husband’s death in 1924 when she came to Montreal to live with her step-daughter, Adele Languedoc who was in charge of the McLennan Traveling Library at Macdonald College. She later sold “Russellhurst” in the Tadoussac village and bought what is now known as Languedoc Parc from Henry Dale, an American. She designed and built “Amberley” which is now (much renovated) the Gomer home. The road in from the main road (from where the golf course presently is) was known as Dale Drive, although the easternmost portion, with its entrance roughly across from the Hovington Farm, was known as Pépin's Road (after the butcher Pépin Brisson, who came in that way). Dale Road was the only English place name in all of Tadoussac. Dale also had a carriage road going down to Pointe Rouge. The circular spot was its turnaround. During World War I, Erie organized a Red Cross Society branch at Aylmer, Quebec, and after the war she was instrumental in setting up seven chapters of the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E., a Canadian national women’s charitable organization) in the Ottawa district. In 1940, just before her death, Erie organized a Red Cross branch in Tadoussac. She was a life member of both the Red Cross Society and the I.O.D.E. Erie did much to promote interest in, and the sale of, handicrafts indigenous to the Saguenay region and was an authority on the folk-lore of this district in Quebec. Recognition of the work she had done for Tadoussac came with her election to the honorary presidency of Le Cercle des Fermieres of Tadoussac which still exists today. Ann Stevenson Dewart relates memories of her first cousin, Erie. “In those days the Park was truly a private enclave, dominated by Cousin Erie Lanquedoc. No one passed her door without her scrutiny, and French and English alike walked in awe of her flashing, black eyes and outthrust jaw. ‘You, there, what's your name?’ she would ask, poking her crooked walking stick at the trespasser's stomach. If it was a French child, she would want to know his parents' names. She persuaded the Curé to declare the Park off limits after dark for the village youths, as much to protect her rest as their morals. Only visitors were allowed to come in by the front gate opposite the Golf Club. Tradesmen and the solitary motorcar had to use the back entrance near Hovington's farm. If anyone came to our door after dark, uninvited, Mum would first get down the .22 rifle before calling out, ‘Who is it?’ Fortunately, she never had to use either it or the revolver. Cousin Erie, however, wasn't afraid of man or beast and often stayed alone in the Park until the boats stopped running late in September. She and her walking stick were a match for anything, but Mum was more nervous. Erie gave her a big brass dinner bell to ring if she needed help. Erie had one even bigger. As the only two women alone in the Park, it was a kind of mutual aid pact in case of fire or illness.” Erie died in 1941 when Amberley then went to Adele and later, after Adele's death, acquired by Adelaide Gomer. Brian Dewart (with excerpts from Ann Stevenson Dewart’s writings)

  • Carington Smith, Lex

    Carington Smith, Lex Back to ALL Bios ​ Alexander Harcourt Carington Smith 1895-1975 Lex, as he was known, was born in Quebec City in 1895 and was the eldest son of Robert Harcourt Smith and Mary Valliere Gunn Smith. He had two younger brothers, Gordon and Guy. He was educated at Bishop’s College School in Lennoxville, Quebec. In 1931 he married Mary Isabelle Atkinson in Levis, Quebec and they lived for many years on Pine Ave in Quebec. He and Mary had one daughter, Susan, born in 1942. During World War II, Lex and Mary cared for two refugee children from England, Richard and Elizabeth. They returned to their family in London after the war but the two families remained in touch for many years. Lex was an importer and manufacturer’s agent of fishing and camping supplies. He was a keen outdoors man and fisherman who tied his own flies. He was never happier than fishing at the Sainte Marguerite River with Uncle Art and his two brothers. Lex and Mary purchased Bayview Cottage (now owned by the Stairs family) and it became known to the family as the fun place to be in Tadoussac. He was a long-time member of the Garrison Club in Quebec, City. Lex died in Quebec City on November 22, 1985 and is buried in Mount Hermon Cemetery. Eve Wickwire

  • Tadoussac Biographies

    Tadoussac Biographies Please write a biography and it can be added to this site! NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS ​ ​ Full Biography ​ ​ Full Biography Alexander, James Okeden ​ Full Biography Barnston, George ​ Full Biography Burns Louisa Jane ​ Full Biography Campbell, Robert Peel ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Arthur ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Charles & Aileen ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Constance Isobel (Price) ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Edmund Harcourt ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, George ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, George Herbert ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, George Noel ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Gordon ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Herbert ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Lex ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Mary Isabelle (Atkinson) ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Robert Guy ​ Full Biography Carington Smith, Robert Harcourt ​ Full Biography Carrington Smith, Jean Alexandra (McCaig) ​ Full Biography Cid, Pierre & Famille ​ Full Biography Craig, George & Micheline ​ Full Biography Dale, Henry We just have a start here. We need more information. Full Biography Dawson, May ​ Full Biography Dewart, Russell and Ann (Stevenson) ​ Full Biography Dobson, Marion Sarah (Smith) ​ Full Biography Evans, Cyril Lewis ​ Full Biography Evans, Lewis and Betty (Morewood) ​ Full Biography Evans, Maria Stewart Dean Evans's first wife, but what else can we find?? Full Biography Evans, Thomas Frye Lewis ​ Full Biography Evans, Trevor Ainslie & Dorothy (Rhodes) ​ Full Biography Glassco, Willa (Price) ​ Full Biography Goodings, Allen ​ Full Biography Humphrys, Phyllis Frances Died in 1974 so someone must remember her. Please let me know! Full Biography Imbeau, Armand En français et en anglais ! In french and english! Full Biography Languedoc, Adele ​ Full Biography Languedoc, Erie (Janes) & George de Guerry ​ Full Biography Lemesurier Smith, Amelia Jane ​ Full Biography McCarter, Douglas ​ Full Biography Molson, Colin John (Jack) Grasset ​ Full Biography Molson, Doris Amelia (Carington Smith) ​ Full Biography Morewood, Frank & Carrie (Rhodes) ​ Full Biography Morewood, Gertrude Isobel ​ Full Biography Palmer, Noeline (Pixie) Winnifred Smith ​ Full Biography Piddington, Alfred ​ Full Biography Powel, Robert Hare Powel Family who built the Bailey house Full Biography Powel,Julia ​ Full Biography Price, Coosie & Ray ​ Full Biography Price, Sir William & Blanche ​ Full Biography Radford, Joseph ​ Full Biography Ransom, Howard Henry Basics only. Any information would be helpful! Full Biography Rhodes, Army & Phebe Ida (Alleman) & Catherine (Katie) (von Iffland) ​ Full Biography Rhodes, Col. William and Ann (Dunn) ​ Full Biography Rhodes, Lily Bell ​ Full Biography Rhodes, Monica ​ Full Biography Russell, Mary Frances ​ Full Biography Russell, Thomas Kendall Need information Full Biography Russell, William Edward & Fanny Eliza (Pope) ​ Full Biography Russell, Willis & Rebecca Page (Sanborn) ​ Full Biography Russell, Willis Robert ​ Full Biography Scott, Frances Grace ​ Full Biography Scott, Mabel Emily (Russell) ​ Full Biography Skutezky, Ernie & Phoebe (Evans) ​ Full Biography Stairs, Dennis & Sue ​ Full Biography Stevenson, Florence Louisa Maude "Nonie" (Russell) & Dr James ​ Full Biography Tremblay, Pierre ​ Full Biography Turcot, Percy & Marjorie (Webb) ​ Full Biography Turcot, Peter Alfred ​ Full Biography Urquhart, Alexander One of our first summer residents! Full Biography Wallace, Jack & Mary (Williams) Bios in the works...I hope! Full Biography Watt, Frances McIntosh ​ Full Biography Whitley, Jessie Margaret ​ Full Biography Williams, Caroline Anne (Rhodes) ​ Full Biography Williams, Jim & Evelyn (Meredith) ​ Full Biography Williams, Lennox ​ Full Biography

  • Powel,Julia

    Powel,Julia Back to ALL Bios ​ Julia Powell – 1851 - 1904 (some notes about her from Godfrey Rhodes Diary) Julia DeVeaux Powel Peters was born in 1851, in Pennsylvania, to Robert Hare Powel and Amy Smedley Powel. Her family lived in Philadelphia and spent time in Quebec City and during the summer, in Tadoussac. Julia’s father was a good friend of William Rhodes and Willis Russel and he built the house that later became the Baileys’. Julia was the same age as Godfrey and William Rhodes and William Russell, and they spent some happy years growing up together. Their family houses in Tadoussac were in a row next to each other. Julia was very popular and outgoing. The boys led an active outdoor life boating and fishing and she would join them, rowing up the Saguenay and sometimes camping overnight at St Etienne. The girls had their own tent. In the evenings when the young gathered at the Powel’s or Russel’s houses for dancing and singing, Julia was featured doing waltzes, gallops and the “jig” with the group. At a Grand Concert and Charade held at the Hotel on July 22, 1870, Julia was one of the performers along with Godfrey Rhodes, Jim Gordon and Pete Meredith. Julia was actively involved with the Tadoussac Chapel and sang in the choir on Sunday’s with Godfrey and Willie. When her family were in Quebec City she joined in the social life of parties and teas, came for dinner at Cataraqui and played cards in the evenings with the Rhodes, and Russells. One day, according to Godfrey, “she drove the cart like a bird and broke a shaft, jamming it at St. John’s Gate”. Julia married Samuel Winslow Miller Peters from Virginia in 1874. They had 2 daughters.

  • Watt, Frances McIntosh

    Watt, Frances McIntosh Back to ALL Bios ​ Frances MacIntosh Watt – d. 1876 There is a window at the back of the church dedicated to the memory of Frances MacIntosh Watt but we have been able to find out very little about her. We know she died on July 1st, 1876 and that she was buried in Outremont, Montreal, Quebec at the Mont-Royal Cemetery. The tombstone is inscribed: FRS. MACINTOSH wife of DAVID A. WATT DIED 1ST JULY 1876 NEIL MACINTOSH, BROTHER ISABELLA McLEAN, cousin Her husband was originally named David Allan Poe and apparently changed his name to Watt. He went by Poe in the 1861 census and when he was married to Frances in 1857. However, he signed as D. A. P. Watt on the original chapel subscriber's list of 1866. David and Frances had four children, three girls, and a boy, but even in David’s obituary below the girls are not identified by name. He seems to have died in 1918. Mr. David Allan Watt Passed Away in 88th Year (Obituary) The death of Mr. David Allan Watt took place last Thursday at his residence, 285 Stanley Street. He was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1830, and was thus eighty-eight years of age. He was educated at the Grammar School, Greenock, came to Canada in 1846, and was one of the organizers of the Corn Exchange, the Citizen’s League, and the Montreal Art Association. He was the editor of the Canadian Naturalist. In 1857 he married Miss Frances Macintosh, his wife predeceasing him in 1876. He is survived by his four children, Mrs. F. H. Whitmore and the Misses Watt, of Montreal, and Mr. Allan Watt, of Rocky Mount, N. C.

  • Russell, Willis Robert

    Russell, Willis Robert Back to ALL Bios ​ Willis Robert Russell (1887-1907) Willis Robert Russell (b. 1887) was the son of William Edward Russell and Fanny Eliza Pope. He was the brother of Florence Louisa “Nonie” Russell and Mabel Emily Russell. We don’t know much about Willis Robert other than he lived a short life, dying In Quebec at age 20 from tuberculosis. Brian Dewart

  • Dobson, Marion Sarah (Smith)

    Dobson, Marion Sarah (Smith) Back to ALL Bios ​ Marion Sarah Smith Dobson 1907-1992 Marion, or Mally as she was called in Canada, was born in 1907 in Montreal. Her parents were George Carington Smith and Winifred Dawes Smith. She grew up on Dorchester Ave. in Montreal and attended King’s Hall, Compton. Her summers were spent in Tadoussac with her many Smith and Price cousins. In 1929, in Montreal, she married Benjamin Arthur Palin Dobson and moved to Heaton Lodge, Bolton, Lancashire in England. She would live the rest of her life in England but made frequent visits to Canada and particularly Tadoussac. She and Ben had 3 sons. Bob born in 1931, Chris born in 1936 and Andrew born in 1942, and 5 grandchildren, Richard, Caroline, Jonathan, Nick and Alexandra (Alex). After Ben’s death in 1962, Marion continued to live in their family home, Whitestock, in the Lake District. Their son Bob took over the family home in the late 1970s or early 1980s and Marion moved to a cottage in the Cotswolds to be near Chris and his wife Pen. In 1982, she moved into a cottage on Chris and Pen’s property and was there until her death in 1992. Marion was smart and interested in everything especially anything political. She was very politically astute. She rose up the ranks of the Conservative Party eventually to become Chair of the Northwest area of England. This was a huge volunteer job for which she was awarded the OBE in 1960 for “Political Services”. Her interest in, and knowledge of, politics never waned. She was also a volunteer for the Bolton Nursing Association, the Royal College of Nursing and the Bolton Hostel Committee. To quote her daughter in law, Pen, “She was a wonderful, loving, caring woman.” Pen Dobson