top of page

Search Results

88 éléments trouvés pour «  »

  • Tom Evans Art

    PREVIOUS Tom Evans Paintings NEXT PAGE La plupart de mes peintures représentent Tadoussac et la rivière Saguenay. ​ tomfevans@icloud.com Most of my paintings are of Tadoussac and the Saguenay River. ​ tomfevans@icloud.com CLICK on the painting to open a slide gallery. CLIQUEZ sur la peinture pour ouvrir une galerie. 320 Red Leaves and Sunset 333 CaleSeche Boats Autumn 231 Winter TadBeach1965 320 Red Leaves and Sunset 1/153 NEXT PAGE

  • Flowers | tidesoftadoussac1

    Flowers, butterflies and other small things Blue-Eyed Grass Wild Iris Pink Lady's Slipper Painted Lady Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Atlantis Fritillary Hobomok Skipper Yellow Goatsbeard St. Lawrence Tiger Moth White Admiral

  • More Faces of Tadoussac | tidesoftadoussac1

    Été à Tadoussac Summer 1920-1940 Page 7 of 7 Please help! If you have more photos If you have names that I don't have If you have notes I could add If you were there yourself! tomfevans@icloud.com S'il vous plaît aider! Si vous avez plus de photos Si vous avez des noms que je n'ai pas Si vous avez des notes que je pourrais ajouter Si vous y étiez! tomfevans@icloud.com NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS (More) Faces of Tadoussac (Plus) Visages de Tadoussac 1922 Lewis Evans with his mother Emily (Bethune) Evans Jim and Jean Alexander with grandparents Nan (Rhodes) Williams and Lennox Williams, and with their mother Gertrude (Williams) Alexander 1925 Jack Wallace, Nan Wallace (Leggat), Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker), Jim Alexander Grace Scott 1925 Maye Hudspeth, Kae Evans Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1926 Left Ann Stevenson (Dewart) Right Elizabeth Stevenson (O'Neill) 1926 Erie Languedoc in her garden -- Note! -- Stevenson cottage being built in the background Smut the dog, Emily (Bethune) Evans, Kae Evans, the Stevenson sisters, Elizabeth (O'Neill) (note camera), Maggie (Reilley), Ann (Dewart), May Carrington Smith, Nan Gale at Evans camp at Cap a Jack 1924-25 Dorothy (Rhodes) Evans, Trevor Evans, Phoebe Evans (Skutezky), Ainslie Evans (Stephen) 1927-28 with Trevor Evans Jr 1931 Evans family with Alfred Hovington, Kate Von Iffland, and at right Maye Hudspeth 1931 Evans family with Tim Evans (baby) Kate Von Iffland, Muriel Evans (standing), Monica Rhodes, Betty Morewood (Evans) Lennox Williams with his wife Nan (Rhodes) Williams and his son Sydney Williams 1933 Jean and Jim Alexander, Syndey Williams, Gertrude and General Ron Alexander, Percival Tudor-Hart, Jack Wallace seated Mary (Williams) Wallace, Michael Wallace, Catherine Tudor-Hart, Lennox and Nan Williams Jack Wallace, ?, Betty Morewood (Evans), Bill Morewood, Michael Wallace, ?, ?, Phoebe Evans (Skutezky), Ainslie Evans (Stephen), ? Mary (Williams) Wallace Phoebe, Ainslie, Susie Russell, and Trevor Evans 1934 Iso (Price) & Guy & Ann (Van Alystyn) Smith Elizabeth (Stevenson) and Lionel O'Neill Helen Neilson Maggie (Stevenson) Reilley Catherine (Rhodes) and Percival Tudor-Hart Coosie Price The Alexander family, Gertrude (Williams), Jim, Jean, and Gen Ron Alexander Amatuer Theatre in the shed behind the upper Evans house Standing - Jack Wallace, Jim Alexander, Ron Alexander, Jack Wallace Mary Wallace, Nan Williams, Jean Alexander, Nan Wallace, ?, Lennox Williams, Gertrude Alexander Sydney Williams, Jim Williams, Susan Williams (Webster), ?, Joan Williams (Ballantyne), Michael Wallace Barbara Hampson (Alexander/Campbell) 1936 Jack Wallace, Jim and Jean Alexander, Nan Wallace (Leggat), Michael Wallace, Joan, Susan, and Jim Williams 1936 Standing Frank Morewood, Jim & Gertrude Alexander, ?, Sydney Williams Middle Nan Williams, Henry and Helen Price, Lennox Williams, Enid (Price) and Susan Williams Front Nan Wallace, Joan Williams, Mary Wallace, Ron Alexander 1937 Bill Morewood, Ainslie Evans, Billy Morewood, Jean Alexander, Betty Morewood (Evans) ???, Joan and Susan Williams 1937 Betty Morewood (Evans) and her parents Frank Morewood and Carrie (Rhodes) Morewood The first summer for the new cottage Le premier été pour le nouveau chalet Robin Molson, ?, ?, Verity Molson, Joan Williams (Ballantyne) Enid (Price) Williams with her children Jim, Susan, and Joan Williams and cousins Pam and Ann Smith Pam Smith (McCarter) 1937 Prices, Smiths and Williams Nan Wallace, Peggy T., Betty Morewood, Susie Russell, Joan Shaw, Mary Del Robertson, Mary Fowler, Jean Alexander, Jean? Bar Hampson, Helen Davis, Peggie Durnford, Mabel Warburton, Ainslie Evans Mary Hampson (Price), Ted Price, Mary Fowler Nan Wallace (Leggat) Jack Molson, Doris (Carrington Smith) Molson, Arthur Price Susan Williams, Ann Smith, Joan and Sheila Williams, Pam Smith, Jim Williams Bill Stephen Verity Molson, Eve, Ann and Pam Smith 1941 Sheila Williams (Campbell) and Penny Smith (Younger) PREVIOUS NEXT PAGE La FIN de L'été à Tadoussac 1920-1940 Tu l'as fait! Bien joué! 200 Photos Mais pas la fin Continuez ... >>> The END of Summer in Tadoussac 1920-1940 You made it! Well Done! 200 Photos But not the end Keep going...>>>

  • Canoes,Punts,Rowboats | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS NEXT PAGE Canoes, Punts, Rowboats Canots, Punts, Chaloupes Birchbark Canoe 1910 Canot d'écorce 1910 Godfrey, Lily, and Catherine Rhodes Plage Tadoussac Beach 1901 Godfrey Rhodes, Minnie (Rhodes) Morewood, Dorothy (Dorsh) Rhodes (Evans), ?, Billy Morewood, Carrie Rhodes (Morewood) 1901 Nancy Morewood, Catherine Rhodes (Tudor-Hart), Frank E Morewood K Ewart holding on tight K Ewart tenant serré Dean Lewis Evans et Marjorique pêchent près du Lark Reef 1910 Dean Lewis Evans and Marjorique fishing near Lark Reef, 1910 1900's The "WHITE BOAT" circa 1910 at the Marguerite Dressed all in white and pulling the boat to the shore of the Saguenay, 1917 Tout de blanc vêtu et en tirant le bateau à la rive de la rivière Saguenay, 1917 Nan (Rhodes) and Lennox Williams Lily and Frances Rhodes Mary Williams (Wallace) in the "White Boat" Pte a la Croix Lennox Williams Sydney Williams Adele Languedoc Mary Williams (Wallace) ? Lily Rhodes Nan (Rhodes) Williams 1910's Marjorie Gagnon helped my father, Lewis Evans with his model of a Lower St Lawrence Yawl, about 1918. In 1951 Lewis Evans bought a very old yawl and restored it, the "Bonne Chance" shown at right in a painting by Tom Roberts. Majorque Gagnon a aidé mon père, Lewis Evans avec son modèle d'un Yole Bas-St Laurent , vers 1918. En 1951, Lewis Evans a acheté un yole très vieux et le restaura, le "Bonne Chance" illustré à droite dans un tableau de Tom Roberts. "Explorer" Lewis Evans & Harry Dawson Baude River above the dam Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker) and Jim Alexander 1920's Bill Morewood, ?, Jack Wallace 1930's Bill and Frank E Morewood Ainslie Evans (Stephen) Betty Morewood (Evans) Phoebe Evans (Skutezky) Robin and Doris Molson Jack, Verity and Robin Molson 1930's Susan Williams (Webster), ?, Joan Williams (Ballantyne), Jim Williams, ?? Joan Williams (Ballantyne), ?? Harry Morewood, Jimmy Williams, Simon Wallace (friend), Joan Williams (Ballantyne), Frank Morewood, Susan Williams (Webster), Jennifer and Delia Tudor-Hart, Bobby Morewood Jimmy Williams, Susan Williams (Webster) 1942 Sheila Williams (Campbell), Penny Smith (Younger) 1942 Alan Finldey, Betty, Anne and Lewis Evans, and dog Smitty in the punt! No Life Jackets 1950 Alan Finldey, Betty, Anne and Lewis Evans, et le chien Smitty dans le punt! Pas de gilets de sauvetage 1950 Jim and Ted Aylan-Parker Jean (Alexander) Aylan-Parker 1955 ? & Willie Leggatt 1964 NEXT PAGE

  • Saguenay Mills | Moulins et villes du Saguenay

    PREVIOUS Saguenay Mills and Towns Moulins et Villes du Saguenay NEXT PAGE The Saguenay River has a number of ghost towns, where large lumber mills and entire villages existed for a short time and then completely disappeared. The only remains are some slab-wood walls and rocks and bricks. The history is fascinating. ​ Much of the text here is from the excellent website of Petit-Saguenay, which includes St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, below is an english translation. ​ ​ La rivière Saguenay compte plusieurs villes fantômes, où de grandes scieries et des villages entiers ont existé pendant une courte période puis ont complètement disparu. Les seuls vestiges sont des murs en dalles de bois, des pierres et des briques. L'histoire est fascinante. ​ Une grande partie du texte ici provient de l'excellent site Web de Petit-Saguenay, qui comprend St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, ci-dessous est une traduction en anglais. ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 Anse CHEVAL MARGUERITE Mill/Moulin et Wharf/Quai circa 1910 ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 ST ETIENNE et la Ville Industrielle/Factory Town 1883-1900 Anse au Cheval Anse-aux-Petites-Îles Anse de Roche Baie Saint-Marguerite Arrival of the Société des Vingt-et-un in Petit-Saguenay April 25, 1838. The Société des Vingt-et-un prepared a schooner to set off to conquer the Saguenay, then under the Hudson's Bay Company monopoly. This team of 27 men first stopped at Anse-aux-Petites-Îles, between Tadoussac and Anse Saint-Étienne, to unload a group of loggers there, who built the first sawmill on the Saguenay. The expedition thus relieved continued on its way to Anse-au-Cheval, located opposite the Baie Saint-Marguerite, where a second mill was built. They waited for the ice to leave, which takes a month. Then, the rest of the crew continues their journey which brings them to the colonization of L'Anse-Saint-Jean and Baie des Ha! Ha! The first two stops of the Société des Vingt-et-un are therefore in two coves in the territory of Petit-Saguenay. These sawing facilities will be of short duration, since the mills were designed to be easily moved depending on the availability of the resource. At the time, it was pine, which was then abundant in the area, that they felled as a priority. However, these two coves are never permanently inhabited - although they are visited by priests who identify 8 men in Petites-Îles and 2 men in l'Anse-au-Cheval in 1839 - and it is rather at Anse de Petit-Saguenay and Anse Saint-Étienne that future colonization efforts were deployed in Petit-Saguenay. Arrivée de la Société des Vingt-et-un à Petit-Saguenay 25 avril 1838. La Société des Vingt-et-un apprête une goélette pour partir à la conquête du Saguenay, alors sous le monopole de Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson. Cette équipée de 27 hommes fait d'abord escale à l'Anse-aux-petites-Îles, entre Tadoussac et l'Anse Saint-Étienne, pour y débarquer un groupe de bûcherons, qui y construit le premier moulin à scie sur le Saguenay. L'expédition ainsi délestée poursuit son chemin jusqu'à l'Anse-au-Cheval, située en face de la Baie Saint-Marguerite, où un second moulin est construit. On y attend le départ des glaces, ce qui prend un mois. Puis, le reste de l'équipage poursuit son voyage qui l'amène à la colonisation de L'Anse-Saint-Jean et la Baie des Ha! Ha! Les deux premiers arrêts de la Société des Vingt-et-un se font donc dans deux anses sur le territoire de Petit-Saguenay. Ces installations de sciage seront de courte durée, puisque les moulins étaient conçus pour être facilement déplaçables en fonction de la disponibilité de la ressource. À l'époque, c'est le pin, qui est alors abondant sur le territoire, qu'on abat en priorité. Ces deux anses ne sont toutefois jamais habitées de façon permanente - bien qu'elle soit visitées par des curés qui recensent 8 hommes aux Petites-Îles et 2 hommes à l'Anse-au-Cheval en 1839 - et c'est plutôt du côté de l'Anse de Petit-Saguenay et de l'Anse Saint-Étienne que les futurs efforts de colonisation se déploient à Petit-Saguenay. St Etienne is shown on a map of 1744 1865 The Rhodes family had a summer cottage in Tadoussac, and they would row up the Saguenay and camp and fish! The fishing was very good, and St Etienne was a favourite spot. They also loved swimming and shooting. Godfrey Rhodes wrote about it in his diary from 1865, at age 15. ​ 1865 La famille Rhodes avait un chalet d'été à Tadoussac, et ils ramaient en canot sur le Saguenay, campaient et pêchaient! La pêche était très bonne, et St Etienne était un endroit préféré. Ils aimaient aussi nager et tirer. Godfrey Rhodes a écrit à ce sujet dans son journal de 1865, à l'âge de 15 ans. The text here is from the excellent website of Petit-Saguenay, which includes St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, below is an english translation. ​ Construction of a company village at Anse Saint-Étienne At the end of the 1870s, the Price company began to take an interest in the Anse Saint-Étienne site to install a sawmill. The site is favorable for development, because it is well protected from the winds and offers an excellent anchorage. On site, there are at most a few fishing families and the remains of a mysterious sawmill whose owner we do not know. It was in 1882 that the Price company decided to build a real company village there, which would be the first of its kind in the region. The establishment is called a company village, since all the buildings belong to the Price company. The mill is for its part of a considerable size: it works with steam and has a power of 200 forces, which makes it de facto the largest factory of this type in Saguenay. Locks, slabs and docks are built around the mill to facilitate the transport, storage and loading of timber. A steam tug, the Belle, is based on site to facilitate the entry and exit of schooners and other sailing vessels at low tide. The workers and their families are housed in rooming houses near the factory, which makes for a very lively working-class neighborhood. The notables, mostly English-speaking and Protestant, were settled on an upper plateau, in what was called at the time the Anse des Messieurs or the Anse de l'Eglise. The village experienced significant growth and once again placed Petit-Saguenay in the heart of the Price empire in the region. Le texte ici est tiré de l'excellent site Web de Petit-Saguenay, qui inclut St Etienne, https://petit-saguenay.com/notre-histoire/, à gauche est une traduction en anglais. Construction d'un village de compagnie à l'Anse Saint-Étienne À la fin des années 1870, la compagnie Price commence à s'intéresser au site de l'Anse Saint-Étienne pour y installer un moulin à scie. Le site est favorable à l'établissement, parce qu'il est bien protégé des vents et offre un excellent mouillage. Sur place, on retrouve tout au plus quelques familles de pêcheurs et les vestiges d'un mystérieux moulin à scie dont on ne connait pas le propriétaire. C'est en 1882 que la compagnie Price décide d'y construire un véritable village de compagnie, qui sera le premier du genre dans la région. On qualifie l'établissement de village de compagnie, puisque toutes les bâtiments appartiennent à la compagnie Price. Le moulin est pour sa part d'une ampleur considérable : il fonctionne à la vapeur et possède une puissance de 200 forces, ce qui en fait de facto la plus grande usine de ce type au Saguenay. Autour du moulin, on construit des écluses, des dalles et des quais pour faciliter le transport, l'entreposage et le chargement du bois. Un remorqueur à vapeur, le Belle, est basé sur place pour faciliter l'entrée et la sortie des goélettes et autres navires à voile à marée basse. Les ouvriers et leurs familles sont logés dans des maisons de chambre à proximité de l'usine, ce qui constitue un quartier ouvrier très vivant. Les notables, pour la plupart anglophones et protestants, sont quant à eux installés sur un plateau supérieur, dans ce que l'on appelle à l'époque l'Anse des Messieurs ou l'Anse de l'Église. Le village connait un essor important et replace à nouveau Petit-Saguenay au coeur de l'empire des Price dans la région. Development of a modern village in Saint-Étienne Quickly after the founding of the company village of Saint-Étienne, it experienced a significant boom which increased the population to nearly 400 people in 1887, when the decision was made to build a church and set up a cemetery on the spot. To house all these workers and their families, they had to build around 30 homes in the working-class neighborhood and install many services. About ten residences were also built at Anse-des-Messieurs to accommodate the manager and the notables. A 27-kilometer-long telegraph line connected Saint-Étienne to Rivière aux Canards (Baie-Sainte-Catherine) and a colonization path - the maritime path - is opened along this line at the site of the current chemin des Îles. A post office is also set up on site and the post office is delivered twice a week between Saint-Étienne and Tadoussac and between Saint-Étienne and L'Anse-Saint-Jean. A farm is cleared on the surrounding plateaus to provide fresh food to the inhabitants. Two schools are also open for the education of children with teachers Adéla and Cécile Gobeil. Visitors are welcomed in a comfortable hotel. Rumors have it that some of the buildings are even served by electricity produced at the steam mill and a water supply service! Développement d'un village moderne à Saint-Étienne Rapidement après la fondation du village de compagnie de Saint-Étienne, celui-ci connait un essor important qui fait grimper la population à près de 400 personnes en 1887, lorsqu'on décide de construire une église et d'aménager un cimetière sur place. Pour loger tous ces travailleurs et leurs familles, on doit construire une trentaine d'habitations dans le quartier ouvrier et installer de nombreux services. Une dizaine de résidences sont également construites à l'Anse-des-Messieurs pour loger le gérant et les notables. Une ligne de télégraphe de 27 kilomètres de long relie Saint-Étienne à Rivière aux Canards (Baie-Sainte-Catherine) et un chemin de colonisation - le chemin maritime - est ouvert le long de cette ligne à l'emplacement de l'actuel chemin des Îles. Un bureau de poste est également aménagés sur place et la poste est livrée deux fois par semaine entre Saint-Étienne et Tadoussac et entre Saint-Étienne et L'Anse-Saint-Jean. Une ferme est défrichée sur les plateaux environnants pour fournir des aliments frais aux habitants. Deux écoles sont également ouvertes pour l'éducation des enfants avec les institutrices Adéla et Cécile Gobeil. Les visiteurs sont quant à eux accueillis dans un hôtel confortable. Les rumeurs veulent qu'une partie des bâtiments est même desservie par l'électricité produite au moulin à vapeur et un service d'aqueduc! St Etienne 1883-1900 The golden age of Saint-Étienne After several years of operation, the industrial village of Saint-Étienne reached its peak at the turn of the 1890s. It figures prominently among the 3 mills of the Price company on the Saguenay, a company which also has facilities in Chicoutimi and the Baie des Ha! Ha!. At the peak of activities, there was a permanent population of 495 people in 1891, which excludes the 400 to 600 workers who stay on the sites each winter. It was then the most populous village between La Baie and Tadoussac. About a hundred workers operate the sawmill, which processes between 200 and 300,000 logs per year. It was mainly spruce, which replaced pine as the main species, the latter having been completely exploited in the first decades of the colonization of the Saguenay or ravaged by recurring fires. The wood comes mainly from the territory of Petit-Saguenay and Baie-Sainte-Catherine. There were up to twenty logging sites per winter operating in the hinterland to supply the industry. The village began to decline from 1891, however, mainly due to two factors. First, the supply is more and more difficult and they had to harvest the resource further and further to bring it to the mill, which reduces the profitability of operations. Then, a major depression hit the world economy from 1891, which affected the wood exports of the Price company to the United States. However, Saint-Étienne remained a dynamic village until its tragic end in 1900. ​ This photo does NOT show the village on fire, the smoke is from the chimneys! L'âge d'or de Saint-Étienne Après plusieurs années d'opération, le village industriel de Saint-Étienne atteint son apogée au tournant des années 1890. Il figure en bonne place parmi les 3 moulins de la compagnie Price sur le Saguenay, compagnie qui compte également des installations à Chicoutimi et à la Baie des Ha! Ha!. Au sommet des activités, on compte une population permanente de 495 personnes en 1891, ce qui exclut les 400 à 600 travailleurs qui séjournent chaque hiver sur les chantiers. C'est alors le village le plus populeux entre La Baie et Tadoussac. Une centaine de travailleurs fait fonctionner le moulin à scie où transitent entre 200 et 300 000 billots par année. On y scie essentiellement de l'épinette, qui a remplacé le pin comme essence principale, cette dernière ayant été complètement exploitée dans les premières décennies de la colonisation du Saguenay ou ravagée par les incendies récurrents. Le bois vient principalement du territoire de Petit-Saguenay et de Baie-Sainte-Catherine. On opère jusqu'à une vingtaine de chantiers de bûchage par hiver dans l'arrière-pays pour alimenter l'industrie. Le village se met toutefois à décliner à compter de 1891, principalement à cause de deux facteurs. D'abord, l'approvisionnement est de plus en plus difficile et on doit aller récolter la ressource de plus en plus loin pour l'apporter au moulin, ce qui réduit la rentabilité des opérations. Ensuite, une dépression importante frappe l'économie mondiale à compter de 1891, ce qui affecte les exportations de bois de la compagnie Price vers les États-Unis. Saint-Étienne demeure toutefois un village dynamique jusqu'à sa fin tragique en 1900. ​ Cette photo ne montre PAS le village en feu, la fumée vient des cheminées ! Saint-Étienne razed to the ground June 5, 1900. A stubble fire started in the morning by colonist Benjamin Boudreault on the heights of Saint-Étienne spread to the forest thanks to the strong winds. In the space of two hours, the flames reached the village of Saint-Étienne, which was reduced to ashes. Only a handful of buildings were spared, but all the residents were literally thrown into the sea, picked up on board two passing ships. The sawmill, the docks, three ships and the entire wood inventory were lost in the fire. Only the district of Anse-des-Messieurs was spared. The next day, thanks to the generosity of the public and the authorities, aid was sent from Chicoutimi: money, food and clothing were distributed to the grieving families. If the workers got by without too much damage, the Price company must declare a total loss since the establishment is not insured. These losses are estimated at between $ 300,000 and $ 400,000, which equates to between $ 9M and $ 12M today. Faced with the scale of the disaster and taking into account the fact that the establishment had already been declining for a few years because of supply problems, the company decided not to rebuild and instead to open a new sawmill at Baie Sainte-Catherine, a mill which moved again in 1908 to Baie Sainte-Marguerite. L'Anse Saint-Étienne, for its part, was abandoned by the Price company, which hardly did any business there until the land was sold to the municipality in the 1970s. Saint-Étienne rasé par les flammes 5 juin 1900. Un feu d'abattis débuté en matinée par le colon Benjamin Boudreault sur les hauteurs de Saint-Étienne se répand à la forêt à la faveur des forts vents. En l'espace de deux heures, les flammes atteignent le village de Saint-Étienne qui est réduit en cendre. Une poignée de bâtiments seulement sont épargnés, mais tous les résidents sont littéralement jetés à la mer, recueillis à bord de deux navires de passage. Le moulin à scie, les quais, trois navires ainsi que l'ensemble de l'inventaire de bois sont perdus dans l'incendie. Seul le quartier de l'Anse-des-messieurs est épargné. Dès le lendemain, grâce à la générosité du public et des autorités, on achemine de l'aide en provenance de Chicoutimi : de l'argent, des vivres et des vêtements sont ainsi distribués aux famille éplorés. Si les travailleurs s'en sortent sans trop de dommage, la compagnie Price, elle, doit déclarer une perte totale puisque l'établissement n'est pas assuré. Ces pertes sont estimées à entre 300 et 400 000 $, ce qui équivaut à entre 9M$ et 12M$ aujourd'hui. Devant l'ampleur du désastre et compte tenud du fait que l'établissement décline déjà depuis quelques années à cause des problèmes d'approvisionnement, la compagnie décide de ne pas reconstruire et de plutôt ouvrir un nouveau moulin à scie du côté de Baie Sainte-Catherine, moulin qui est déménagé à nouveau en 1908 du côté de Baie Sainte-Marguerite. L'Anse Saint-Étienne est pour sa part abandonnée par la compagnie Price, qui n'y fait plus guère d'activités jusqu'à la vente du terrain à la municipalité dans les années 1970. Great Fire on the Saguenay Forty Families Homeless A dispatch announces that a big fire has ravaged the village of St Etienne, on the Saguenay, and that forty families are homeless. The telegraph office was also set on fire, making it more difficult to obtain full details, the distance being sixteen miles. The captain of the "Saguenay" boat was asked to stop at St-Etienne and transport homeless people to St-Alexis de Chicoutimi. ​ LATER The large establishment of Price Brothers & Co, wood merchants of St-Etienne, was completely destroyed by fire this afternoon. The losses are considerable and include nearly 200,000 feet of trade lumber, stores and most of the docks. A schooner and two boats which were at the wharf were also destroyed. Forty families are homeless as a result of the conflagration and find themselves running out of food and even clothing. Most of the workers were occupied in the sawmills, and came to Chicoutimi. It is believed that the fire was started by reckless settlers. Losses are estimated between $350,000 and $ 400,000. The steamer "Saguenay" * Mill Village Anse-des-Messieurs Today St Etienne is a popular picnic spot, accessible by road, and there are remains of the old wharfs in the stream. Aujourd'hui, St Etienne est un lieu de pique-nique populaire, accessible par la route, et il reste des vestiges des anciens quais dans le ruisseau. Match up the hills! Circa 1890 >> 2020 Associez les collines! Vers 1890 >> 2020 Anse au Cheval Anse au Cheval Price installs debarkers at Anse au Cheval In 1838, the Société des Vingt-et-Un set up its first sawmills in the region at Petit-Saguenay, at Anse aux Petites-Îles and at Anse au Cheval. After a few years of operation, these two mills were sold to William Price, who did not continue to operate for long. L'Anse au Cheval was therefore abandoned for a few decades until Joseph Desgagné, son of the famous schooner builder Zéphirin Desgagné from L'Anse-Saint-Jean, took a lease there from the land agent of Tadoussac in the 1880s or 1890s. The activities of Joseph Desgagné at Anse au Cheval are not known, but we can assume that he does either cutting or sawing, since he regularly transports wood with his schooners. He then transferred his rights to Onésime Gagné of L'Anse-Saint-Jean, who obviously operated a mill there, since when the latter sold his facilities to the Price company in 1902, the notarial contract mentioned a " mill with machines, machine, kettle, shingle machine, carriage complete with saws and other accessories, ridges, edging saws [...], as well as the house [...], booms and docks used to pound the planks and other woods. " A small colony even developed around these installations, with some families affected by the fire in the village of Saint-Étienne in 1900. ​ The Price company, for its part, operates debarkers there in a factory supplied with energy by steam. The pulpwood thus freed from its bark is then exported by ship to pulp and paper mills in Ontario and the United States. The Anse au Cheval mill was thus in operation for several years, until a law came to prohibit the export of pulpwood in 1910 and thus led to the decline of activities on the site. In 1914, the installations were dismantled and the kettle was transferred to Desbins, where the Price company operated one of the five pulp and paper mills in the region at the time. L'Anse au Cheval was abandoned for good. Price installe des écorceurs à l'Anse au Cheval En 1838, la Société des Vingt-et-Un installe ses premiers moulins à scie dans la région à Petit-Saguenay, soit à l'Anse aux Petites-Îles et à l'Anse au Cheval. Après quelques années d'exploitation, ces deux moulins sont vendus à William Price, qui ne continue pas l'exploitation bien longtemps. L'Anse au Cheval est donc abandonnée pendant quelques décennies jusqu'à ce que Joseph Desgagné, fils du fameux constructeur de goélettes Zéphirin Desgagné de L'Anse-Saint-Jean, y prenne un bail auprès de l'agent des terres de Tadoussac dans les années 1880 ou 1890. Les activitéss de Joseph Desgagné à l'Anse au Cheval ne sont pas connues, mais on peut présumer qu'il y fait soit de la coupe ou du sciage, puisque que celui-ci transporte régulièrement du bois avec ses goélettes. Il transfère ensuite ses droits à Onésime Gagné de L'Anse-Saint-Jean, qui y exploite manifestement un moulin, puisqu'au moment où ce dernier vend ses installations à la compagnie Price en 1902, le contrat notarié fait mention d'un "moulin avec machines, engin, bouilloire, machine à bardeaux, carriage complet avec scies et autres accessoires, buttes, scies à déligner [...], ainsi que la maison [...], booms et quais servant à piler les madriers et autres bois." Une petite colonie s'est même développée autour de ces installations, avec quelques familles sinistrées après le feu du village de Saint-Étienne en 1900. La compagnie Price, pour sa part, y exploite des écorceurs dans une usine alimentée en énergie par la vapeur. Le bois de pulpe ainsi libéré de son écorce est ensuite exporté par bateau vers des usines de pâte et papiers d'Ontario et des États-Unis. Le moulin de l'Anse au Cheval est ainsi en opération pendant plusieurs années, jusqu'à ce qu'une loi vienne interdire l'exportation de bois de pulpe en 1910 et mène ainsi au déclin des activités sur le site. En 1914, on démentèle les installations et on transfère la bouilloire à Desbins, où la compagnie Price opère l'une des cinq usines de pâte et papier de la région à l'époque. L'Anse au Cheval est définitivement abandonnée. 2020 there are some remains of the activities in Anse au Cheval. There are probably more remains in the forest. 2020, il y a quelques vestiges des activités à Anse au Cheval. Il y a probablement plus de restes dans la forêt. Marguerite Baie Saint-Marguerite The "MARGUERITE" is a beautiful place. Marguerite Bay is the mouth of the two Marguerite Rivers, which combine a short distance above the head of the bay. The bay is 2km deep and 1km wide. At high tide it is completely flooded, at low tide mostly dry, with the river running down the middle to the Saguenay. ​ La "Marguerite" est un bel endroit. Marguerite Bay est la bouche des deux Rivières-Marguerite, qui se combinent à une courte distance au-dessus de la tête de la baie. La baie est à 2km de profondeur et un kilomètre de large. A marée haute, il est complètement inondée, à marée basse la plus grande partie est sec, avec la rivière qui coule au milieu au Saguenay. The Marguerite Belugas Parc Saguenay Visitors Center today Site of the movie set in 1972 Marguerite Rivers join here Saguenay River Remains of the Village Ice Caves The Notch Petite Rigolette Northwest Corner Banc des Messieurs Remains of Wharf and crib Sand Dune Amazing Canal Beach Village of Sainte Marguerite, built around the sawmill Circa 1910? ​ ​ Village de Sainte-Marguerite, construit autour de la scierie Periode 1910? About 1930's Remains of the town and the wharf, at high tide Environ 1930 Vestiges de la ville et le quai, à marée haute The "Muriel" anchored in the Marguerite, circa 1930 Below the "Hobo" and the "Bonne Chance" in the same location in 1956, the rocks in the background are the same. This is in the middle of the bay, in the river channel, which never dries out at low tide. Le "Muriel" ancrée dans la Marguerite, vers 1930 Ci-dessous le "Hobo" et la "Bonne Chance" au même endroit en 1956, les roches dans le fond sont les mêmes. Ceci est dans le milieu de la baie, dans le chenal de la rivière, qui ne sèche jamais à marée basse. A trip to the Marguerite in about 1935 Bill Morewood (my uncle) looking at the camera Jim Alexander with the crest on his sweater Not sure who the third guy is. Un voyage à la Marguerite en 1935 environ Bill Morewood (mon oncle) en regardant la caméra Jim Alexander avec la crête sur son chandai La "Marguerite" est un bel endroit. Marguerite Bay est la bouche des deux Rivières-Marguerite, qui se combinent à une courte distance au-dessus de la tête de la baie. La baie est à 2km de profondeur et un kilomètre de large. A marée haute, il est complètement inondée, à marée basse la plus grande partie est sec, avec la rivière qui coule au milieu au Saguenay. Putting up a beacon on the old pier at the Marguerite for 'navigation' July 1937 Herbert, Noel, Self (Jack Molson?) This marker (and other ones) stood on the 'crib' for many years. The crib was the pile of rocks that was the remains of the end of the old wharf, where it reached the river channel. Guy Smith and the 'Hobo' and Lewis Evans's 'Bonne Chance' anchored in the Marguerite in 1956 From the log of the "Bonne Chance" August 13th 1956: 4pm Entered Marguerite, schooner "Hobo" on anchorage, she reported having caught 18, and left for the Islets Rouge. Tuesday I fished half flood at dawn on the point above the crip - 4 trout, one a good size. Fished ebb all morning on Banc des Messieurs taking 17, all but 2 on flies. Trevor (Evans) and John (Price) fished Petite Rigolette (the smaller outlet of the Marguerite over the low tide flats), taking 26. Fished afternoon flood, I getting nothing on main channel, Trevor and John 18 on the Petite Rigolette. Sunny and calm. Below they are dumping water from the Nor-Shore Canoe from the deck of the "Hobo" Mettre en place un arbre sur le vieux quai de la Marguerite pour «navigation» Juillet 1937 Herbert, Noel, Self (Jack Molson?) Ce marqueur (et autres) se trouvait sur la «crèche» pour de nombreuses années. La crèche était le tas de pierres qui était les vestiges de la fin de l'ancien quai, où il a atteint le chenal de la rivière. Guy Smith et la «Hobo» et «Bonne Chance» de Lewis Evans ancrée dans la Marguerite en 1956 À partir du journal de la "Bonne Chance« Le 13 Août 1956: 16:00 Entrée Marguerite, goélette "Hobo" sur l'ancrage, elle a déclaré avoir pris 18, et a quitté pour les îlots Rouge. Mardi, je pêche la moitié inondation à l'aube sur le point au-dessus du berceau - 4 truites, une bonne taille. Pêché ebb toute la matinée sur le Banc des Messieurs prenant 17, tous sauf 2 sur les mouches. Trevor (Evans) et John (Price) pêchées Petite Rigolette (la plus petite sortie de la Marguerite sur les bancs de sable à marée basse), en tenant 26. pêché inondation de l'après-midi, je de ne rien obtenir sur le canal principal, Trevor et John 18 sur la Petite Rigolette. Ensoleillé et calme. Ci-dessous, ils déversent l'eau du canot Nor-Shore de la plate-forme de la "Hobo" In 1972 the movie "Journey" was filmed at the Marguerite, and a small village was built at the head of the bay. The movie was directed by Paul Almond and starred Genvieve Bujold. En 1972, le film "Journey" a été filmé à la Marguerite, et un petit village a été construit à la tête de la baie. Le film a été réalisé par Paul Almond et inclus Genvieve Bujold. Remains of the Wharf, 1951 Les vestiges du quai, 1951 Remains of the Wharf, 1970's Les vestiges du quai, 1970's In 2005 Lewis, Tom and Alan Evans spent a night in the Marguerite on Al's boat the "Trillium", a "reenactment" of the many trips we took there with our father. We fished in all the usual spots but did not catch anything. The trout have made a comeback in recent years, but they are smarter than they used to be! En 2005, Lewis, Tom et Alan Evans ont passé une nuit dans la Marguerite sur le bateau de Al le «Trillium», une «répétition» des nombreux voyages que nous avons là-bas avec notre père. Nous avons pêché dans tous les endroits habituels, mais n'a rien attrapé. Les truites ont fait un retour au cours des dernières années, mais ils sont plus intelligents qu'ils étaient! 2014 we visited the "Ice Caves". At the foot of the large rockslide on the nrth side of the bay, ice can be found under the large boulders in July, and even in August the air was very cold. Natural air conditioning! Look for the small stream and follow it up the hill. 2014 nous avons visité les "grottes de glace". Au pied de la grande éboulement sur le côté nord de la baie, la glace peut être trouvé sous les grands rochers en Juillet. même en Août l'air était très froid. Climatisation naturelle! Cherchez le petit ruisseau et suivre jusqu'à la colline. 61 NEXT PAGE

  • Benmore | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS Benmore Quebec NEXT PAGE 1848-1948 Col. Rhodes bought the house in 1848. He died in 1892, his wife Granny Ann Rhodes lived there until 1911. Their daughter Minnie Rhodes Morewood (died 1942) and Henry (Harry) Morewood (died 1916) lived there with their children John, Frank, Nancy, Billy, and Bobby Morewood. ​Frank Morewood writes: It was a great house to me (not a mansion like Cataraqui but I loved spending time at Benmore and I did spend a lot of time there). My parents were living there when I was born, as my father (Bobby) had lost his job in the depression and he went home to his mother's place with his whole family. At that time it housed my father's mother, two sisters, one of his two brothers and two maids. Benmore was in the family from 1848 to 1948. Colonel Rhodes a acheté la maison en 1848. Il est mort en 1892, son épouse Granny Ann Rhodes y vécut jusqu'en 1911. Leur fille Minnie Rhodes Morewood (mort en 1942) et Henry (Harry) Morewood (mort en 1916) a vécu dans la maison avec leurs enfants John, Frank, Nancy, Billy, et Bobby Morewood. Frank Morewood écrit: C'était une grande maison pour moi (pas une manoir comme Cataraqui mais j'ai adoré passer du temps à Benmore et j'ai fait passer beaucoup de temps là-bas). Mes parents vivaient là quand je suis né, mon père (Bobby) avait perdu son emploi dans la dépression et il rentra chez lui pour la place de sa mère avec toute sa famille. A cette époque, il abritait la mère de mon père, deux sœurs, l'une de ses deux frères et deux servantes. Benmore était dans la famille de 1848 à 1948. Frank Morewood (my grandfather) Vue sur la St-Laurent Minnie and Harry Morewood Billy, Minnie and Bobby Morewood 1890's Carrie and her mother Caroline Rhodes, Minnie Morewood, Billy and Frank, about 1893 Granny (1890's) with Frank Morewood & Jimmy Williams ​ Charlie Rhodes Mary Williams Wallace ​ Armitage Rhodes driving, Godfrey's wife Lily, Minnie and Bobby Morewood, Granny at the back, about 1910. ​ Benmore Tennis C ourt ​ Just two stories, 3rd floor added in 1864 Seulement deux étages, 3ème étage a été ajouté en 1864 View of the St Lawrence The horse's name is Jack Le cheval est appelé Jack I took the photo above in 2001 Granny and Hem on the porch around 1900. Next door, Godfrey's house Cataraquai, that's Godfrey with the dog, about 1920's. Juste à côté, la maison de Godfrey Cataraquai, c'est Godfrey avec le chien, environ 1920. Back to Home Page NEXT PAGE

  • RhodesGrandkids | tidesoftadoussac1

    NEXT PAGE The 18 Tadoussac Grandchildren of William Rhodes and Anne Dunn PREVIOUS This is an amazing collection of photographs of the RHODES Family in Tadoussac, assembled from albums of many families. These folks are our ancestors, the people that enjoyed Tadoussac before we did. You will have heard of most of them, and if you are 40+ maybe you knew them. This page is LONG, hundreds of photos. But it's PHOTOGRAPHS, not much reading involved! Take the time to get to know some great people. ​ This page introduces the older ancestors, the children of William and Anne Rhodes, but focuses on the 18 grandchildren who spent wonderful time in Tadoussac from the 1880's to the 1980's! ​ Of the 18 only 8 have descendants, but there are now about 140 direct descendants who come to Tadoussac, and they have built 16 houses in Tadoussac! You may be one! ​ ​ 18 of the RHODES GRANDCHILDREN Carrie Rhodes Morewood 1881 John Morewood1884 Frank Morewood1886 Catherine Rhodes 1888 Nancy Morewood 1888 Jimmy Williams 1888 Lily Bell Rhodes 1889 Mary Williams Wallace 1890 Charley Rhodes 1890 Gertrude Williams Alexander 1891 Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1891 Frances Rhodes 1892 Dorothy Rhodes Evans1892 Gertrude Rhodes1896 Bobby Morewood 1897 Sidney Williams 1899 Monica Rhodes1904 Armitage (Peter) Rhodes Hargreaves 1909 ​ (Omitted from this list are 5 who died in infancy, and 9 children of Bob Rhodes who lived in the US and didn't come to Tadoussac, so the total is really about 32). ​ Please send corrections/additional information!! A short bio for each of these people would improve the page, please write one! ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Peter de Rodes came from France to England in about 1600 ​ William Rhodes 1791-1869 and Ann Smith -1827 lived in Bramhope Hall, England, near Leeds. ​ ​ ​ ​ Their second son, William Rhodes, moved to Quebec in 1842. ​ He married Anne Catherine Dunn in 1846, granddaughter of Thomas Dunn of Quebec. The Rhodes Family lived at Benmore, Sillery, Quebec They built a summer cottage "Brynhyfryd" in Tadoussac in 1860, which was constantly expanded to accomodate the growing family. This is organized by family First the PARENTS (the children of William Rhodes and Anne Dunn) Then the GRANDCHILDREN William Rhodes (Jr) 1851-1921 Caroline Hibler 1848-1929 ​ William was the third oldest of the five Rhodes boys. He worked for the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, and travelled the world delivering and assembling locomotives. They had one daughter. Carrie Rhodes Morewood 1881-1973 The oldest Grandchild, she was born in Australia, and lived in Doylestown and Bryn Mayr (near Philadelphia), and with her son Bill and his family in New Jersey. She summered in Quebec at Benmore and Tadoussac, and married her first cousin Frank Morewood. She is my grandmother, I knew her well! A lovely lady. Carrie, Frank, Bill and Betty(Evans) Morewood) Harry Morewood 1855-1916 Minnie Rhodes 1857-1942​ ​ Minnie was the 6th oldest of the Rhodes children, with 5 older brothers. The Morewood had 5 children, and much of the family lived at the Rhodes family home, Benmore in Quebec, until it was sold in the late 1940's. And of course summer in Tadoussac. ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Frank Morewood 1886-1949 Frank was an artist and architect, and designed several Tadoussac houses (Windward, Brynhyfryd, Turcot). He married his first cousin Carrie (above) and is my grandfather. They had 2 children, Bill and Betty. ​ John Morewood 1884-1944 ​ Nancy Morewood 1888-1946 ​ Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1891-1977 at right Meeting the boat in Anse a L'Eau with her cousin/sister-in-law Carrie Rhodes circa 1910 Bobby Morewood 1897-1964 below, Bill and Ainslie Stephen, Harry Bob and Frank Morewood, Phoebe Morewood Family Photos Left Bill Morewood and Aunt Billy Morewood ​ Right Aunt Margaret Bill and Betty (Evans) Morewood Bobby Morewood ​ Godfrey Rhodes 1850-1932 Lily Jamison 1859-1939 ​ Godfrey was second oldest, and he trained with his brother William in industrial mills in Pennsylvania. He inherited from his namesake, Uncle Godfrey Rhodes, and bought Cataraquai, a large estate in Sillery, Quebec, next door to the Rhodes family home Benmore. They had one daughter Catherine. ​ ​ Cataraquai in Quebec Catherine Rhodes 1888-1972 Catherine was very interested in art and an artist herself. She married Percival Tudor-Hart, a well known artist, and they built a large house in Tadoussac . He had two children from a previous marriage. Catherine lived at Cataraquia her whole life. ​ ​ Armitage Rhodes 1848-1909 Ida Alleman 1854-1893 Katie VonIffland 1867-1938 ​ Armitage was the oldest, and had two children Charley and Dorothy (Dorsh) with his first wife, and two daughters with his second wife, Monica and Armitage (Peter). He lived at Benmore and spent a lot of time in Tadoussac at Brynhyfryd. Above Charley Rhodes with his mother in Montreal Charley Rhodes 1890-? Below Charley Rhodes with Uncle Jimmy Rhodes at Benmore Dorothy Rhodes Evans 1892-1977 at right Dorothy with Katie (VonIffland) Rhodes Below with Monica Dorothy Rhodes married Trevor Evans, and they had four children, Phoebe, Ainslie, Trevor and Tim. They bought the cottage Ivanhoe Dorothy (Dorsh) at right with a couple of her grandchildren Bill and Margie Stephen early 1950's at Hovington's Farm Armitage Rhodes and his second wife, Katie VonIffland, with Monica ​ Below Monica Rhodes and her grandmother Anne (Dunn) Rhodes Monica Rhodes1904-1985 ​ Armitage (Peter) Rhodes Hargreaves 1909-1969 above Dorothy, Peter, Katie (VanIffland) Rhodes above 1913 Peter with her grandmother MrsVonIffland below Katie (Von Iffland) Rhodes with Peter and Dorothy Francis Rhodes 1853-1926 Totie LeMoine 1859-1941 ​ Francis was the fourth oldest and married a Québec girl, Totie LeMoyne, of "Spencer Grange", near Benmore, outside Québec. He studied mining and they lived in the US until James LeMoyne died and they came back to Quebec. They had 3 daughters, LilyBell, Frances and Gertrude. Spencer Grange still exists, at 1328, Avenue Duquet, Quebec Lily Bell Rhodes 1889-1975 ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ above Lily and Frances with their father Francis, at the sand dunes Frances Rhodes 1892-1976 below 1916 at Spencer Grange Lily LucyLogan MargaretPrice GertrudeWA 1950 LilyBell and another cousin, Margaret Robes in Boston The third sister Gertrude Rhodes1896-1926 She studied medicine and when she was an intern in a Denver hospital she got sick and died at the age of 30. ​ Nan Rhodes Williams with Lily and Gertrude, only one photo Caroline Anne (Nan) Rhodes 1861-1937 Lennox Williams 1859-1958 ​ Nan was the second daughter, seventh child in the Rhodes family. She married Lennox Williams who became Bishop of Quebec, they lived in Quebec City and had 4 children. Nan inherited Brynhyfryd from her parents. Jim Williams 1888-1916 He is the oldest son of Lennox Williams and Nan Rhodes. Born in 1888, married Evelyn Meredith January 3, 1916. He was killed in the First World War at the Somme in November 18, 1916 at the age of 28. ​ More photos at under the Williams Tab above Mary Williams Wallace 1890 - 1989 Mary and Jack Wallace owned Brynhyfryd for many years. They had one daughter Nan (Wallace) Leggat, and two sons Jack and Michael Wallace. ​ ~1907 MaryWallace with HarrietRoss at left Mary with Robbie Leggat? early 1950's Gertrude Williams Alexander 1891-? Gertrude married Gen. Ronald Alexander and they had three children, Jim Alexander, Jean (Alexander) Aylan-Parker, and Ron Alexander ​ above circa 1900 in front of Benmore below circa 1907 with her aunt Minnie (Rhodes) Morewood and her granny Anne (Dunn) Rhodes Canon Sidney Waldron Williams 1899-1972 Sidney Williams married Enid Price and they had four children, Joan, Susan, Jim and Sheila ​ at right 1913 Donat Therrien, brother Jimmy and Sid The Williams family at Brynhyfryd circa 1914 ​ ​ Mary Syd Jim Evelyn Lennox&Nan Gertrude Do you think you are done? You are not! There's more Rhodes Grandchildren, mostly having fun together in Tadoussac! Keep going to the next page>>>> NEXT PAGE

  • Tadoussac Ferry Historique Photos

    PREVIOUS The Ferries - Des Traversiers Tadoussac < > Baie Sainte Catherine ​ NEXT PAGE 25 new photos Jan 2019 In the early 1900's the Price Tugboats "Muriel" and the "Mahone" carried passangers between Riviere du Loup, Baie Sainte Catherine, and Tadoussac, and other places. Au début des années 1900, les remorqueurs "Muriel" et le "Mahone" de l'entreprise Price ont transporté des passangers entre Riviere du Loup, Baie Ste Catherine et Tadoussac, et d'autres endroits. ​ ​ ​ MURIEL Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! L'équipage du "Mahone" Capitaine Johnny DesLauriers MAHONE The "Mahone" at Anse à L'Eau, Tadoussac. The "Thor", one of the most powerful tugs of the Price Company, was used on the Saguenay for several years for the refueling of shipyards and the transportation of employees. In 1911, the Trans-Saint Laurent Ltee puts the Thor into operation, between Riviere-du-Loup and Tadoussac. Built in Lévis in 1881, this side-paddlewheel steamer is only used during the summer season and for Sunday excursions, it will be sold in 1916. ​ The Thor at Anse à L'Eau, Tadoussac. THOR Le "Thor", l'un des plus puissants remorqueurs de la compagnie Price, a été utilisé pendant plusieurs années sur le Saguenay pour le ravitaillement en carburant des chantiers et le transport des employés. En 1911, le Trans-Saint Laurent Ltee met en service le Thor, entre Rivière-du-Loup et Tadoussac. Construit à Lévis en 1881, ce paquebot à roue à aubes latérale n’est utilisé que pendant la saison estivale et pour les excursions du dimanche, il sera vendu en 1916. ​ Le Thor à l'Anse à l'Eau, Tadoussac. February 15, 1909 ​ ICE BRIDGE ​ The last cold of January contributed to form the ice bridge between Tadoussac and Baie Ste Catherine. The first to venture there was M. Gabriel Boulianne of Tadoussac, on February 7th, M. Boulianne was accompanied by his two nephews. ÉMÉRILLON PIXIE B 1920's Ferry? No photos ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ The "Pixie B" Painting by Frank Morewood, about 1930. The goelette at the wharf in Tadoussac is the Pixie B and it towed the barge which could carry two cars. Wreck of the Pixie B. It finished its career next to the Bar Orace in Ile aux Coudres early 80's photo Éric Desbiens ​ La "Pixie B" Painting par Frank Morewood, circa 1930. La goélette au quai de Tadoussac est le Pixie B et remorquer le chaland qui pourrait transporter deux voitures. ​ Épave du Pixie B. Il finit sa carrière à coté du bar Chez Orace à l'Ile aux Coudres au début 80 photo Éric Desbiens ​ The "N.B.T." (Noel Brisson Transport) Built by Armand Imbeau in 1939?, 75' long, carried up to six cars on deck. Note the gap in the far gunwale for the cars, and the two ramps on deck. ​ Le "N.B.T." (Noel Brisson Transport) Construit par Armand Imbeau en 1939?, 75' long, porté jusqu'à six voitures. Notez l'écart de l'autre côté pour les voitures, et les deux rampes sur le pont. ​ N.B.T. Text describing the Tadoussac-Baie Ste Catherine crossing in the late 30's in the biography of Jean-Louis Gendron, former NCB Bank employee. >>>>>>>>>>> Texte décrivant le passage frontalier Tadoussac-Baie Ste Catherine à la fin des années 30 dans la biographie de Jean-Louis Gendron, ancien employé de NCB Bank. >>>>>>>>>>> The "Jacques Cartier" The first real car ferry, until 1958, carried 12 cars. ​ Le "Jacques Cartier" Le premier vrai ferry, jusqu'en 1958, place pour 12 voitures ​ JACQUES CARTIER ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ Le Jacques Cartier et un bateau CSL Baie Ste Catherine Circa 1952 Une belle photo de Jack Molson ​ Au quai d'Anse à l'Eau, Tadoussac . At right, the Morewood family, Bill, Betty (my mother) and their mother Carrie (Rhodes) Morewood. Vehicles are getting bigger in the 1950's! Larger ferries are coming soon. Both trucks are PUIZE TRANSPORT. Les véhicules grossissent dans les années 50! Des ferries plus importants arrivent bientôt. Les deux camions sont PUIZE TRANSPORT August 1950, the CSL Quebec burned at the wharf, and the Jacques Cartier came over to help. En août 1950, la CSL Québec a brûlé au quai et la Jacques Cartier est venue aider. What happened to the Jacques Cartier after 1958? Some where on the St Lawrence, not sure of the dates. These photos are NOT in Tadoussac! Qu'est-il arrivé au Jacques Cartier après 1958 ? Somewhere on the St Lawrence, not sure of dates. Ces photos ne sont PAS à Tadoussac! THE SORELOIS: Steel ferry built in 1899 in Montreal, and used along with Jacques Cartier between Baie-Sainte-Catherine and Tadoussac. SORELOIS LE SORELOIS: Traversier en acier construit en 1899 à Montréal et utilisé avec Jacques Cartier entre Baie-Sainte-Catherine et Tadoussac. Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! SAGUENAY and CHARLEVOIX ​ ​ ​ ​ The "Saguenay" 21 cars and the "Charlevoix" 27 cars. 1958 to 1980 La "Saguenay" 21 voitures and la "Charlevoix" 27 voitures. 1958 à 1980 1962 on the ferry in winter My mother Betty Evans admiring the ice on the anchor winch. My brother Lewis Evans in the ski mask (it was cold!) 1962 sur le ferry en hiver Ma mère Betty Evans admirant la glace sur le treuil d'ancre. Mon frère Lewis Evans dans le masque de ski (il faisait froid!) 1964 The Royal Yacht "Brittania" escorted by the destroyer "HMCS Restigouche" 1964 Le yacht royal "Britannia" escorté par le destroyer "NCSM Restigouche" 1960's The ferry trying to pull the "St Lawrence" off the sandbar (see the SHIPWRECKS page) 1960's One of many construction projects on the ferry wharf at Anse à L'Eau 1960 Le ferry en essayant de tirer le "Saint-Laurent" hors du banc de sable (Voir la page SHIPWRECKS) 1960 Un des nombreux projets de construction sur le quai du traversier à Anse à L'Eau circa 1975 Forest Fire on La Boule The other ferry is probably the "Pierre de Saurel" in service from 1974 circa 1975 Feu de forêt sur La Boule L'autre traversier est probablement la "Pierre de Saurel" en service à partir de 1974 circa 1972 We used to "see people off" saying goodbye to Tadoussac at the end of the summer at the ferry wharf, probably the McCarters. ​ Evan Ballantyne, Guy and Jean Smith, Susie Scott (Bruemmer), David Younger, Trevor Williams , Steven Webster, (Belle Ballantyne (Corrigan), David Williams (kneeling), Jennifer Williams, Cinny Price and her pet duck (who has a pet duck?), Alan Evans, Gwen Skutezky, Enid (Price) Williams, Sally Williams, Mary Fowler, Penny Younger circa 1972 Nous dirions adieu aux personnes qui quittent Tadoussac à la fin de l'été au quai du traversier Wait! That's not the right way! Where are you going? Attendez! Tu ne vas pas dans le bon sens! Où allez-vous? Sketch of the proposed bridge across the Saguenay It would be the 10th longest span in the world and the largest in the western hemisphere. The latest study locates the bridge at La Boule, 8 km up the Saguenay, unlike these images. ​ Croquis du pont proposé pour traverser le Saguenay Ce serait la 10e plus longue dans le monde et le plus grand de l'hémisphère occidental La dernière étude situe le pont à La Boule, à 8 km du Saguenay, contrairement à ces images. MV Armand-Imbeau (capacity 367 passengers and 75 vehicles) MV Jos-Deschênes (capacity 367 passengers and 75 vehicles) MV Félix-Antoine-Savard (capacity 376 passengers and 70 vehicles) 2016 New Ferries are scheduled to arrive! 2016 Nouveaux Ferries devraient arriver! NEXT PAGE Many of these photos are from the Facebook Page "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" (Fans of Ferries in Quebec) Thanks to all the contributors! Amateurs de Traversiers au Quebec Plusieurs de ces photos proviennent de la page Facebook "Amateurs de Traversiers au Québec" Merci à tous les contributeurs! NEXT PAGE

  • EVANS | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS EVANS Arrival in Canada NEXT PAGE This page is about My great-grandfather Francis Evans 1801-1858, who came to Canada from Ireland with his wife Maria Lewis in 1842. They had 12 children, and lived near Simcoe in southern Ontario. Their 11th child was Thomas Frye Lewis Evans 1846-1919, my grandfather, who spent many summers in Tadoussac (see next page). According two other people's research, we are descended from a Welsh Prince of 1000 years ago, and two brothers who moved from Wales to Ireland in the 1400's. Francis Evans 1803-1858 The Evans family house in Ireland ​ ​ ​ The Evans family house is in the middle of Ireland! ​ ​ ​ From the Dictionary of Canadian Biography (slightly abridged) EVANS, FRANCIS, Church of England clergyman and educator; b. 1 Jan. 1801 in Lough Park, an estate near Castlepollard, County Westmeath (Republic of Ireland), son of Francis Evans; m. c. 1825 Maria Sophia Lewis, and they had six sons and six daughters; d. September 1858 in County Westmeath, and was buried in Castlepollard. ​ Francis Evans, a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin, arrived in Lower Canada in 1824, intent on entering the Anglican ministry. His decision to emigrate may have been influenced by the presence in the Canadas of his uncle, Thomas Evans , a soldier. Shortly after arriving he went back to Europe to marry, and then returned to the colony. On 11 Nov. 1826 he became a deacon, was appointed curate two days later to the Reverend Robert Quirk Short at Trois-Rivières, and was ordained priest on 27 Oct. 1827 by Bishop Charles James Stewart . Evans did well at Trois-Rivières, reporting in 1827 that his congregation had grown by one-third since his arrival even though there had been no increase in population. Nevertheless, he accepted a missionary posting to Upper Canada sponsored by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. In October 1828 he took his young, growing family to Norfolk County where St John’s, near the village of Simcoe in Woodhouse Township, became his home church. ​ He was the first Anglican clergyman to settle in Woodhouse, even though his parishioners, largely United Empire Loyalists and their descendants, had built the church some years before in anticipation of a permanent appointment. Like most Anglican clerics, Evans concentrated his efforts by ministering regularly to a few settled charges. He attempted, however, to preach occasionally in “every place that it is in my power to visit.” He found his labours well received. In 1830 he reflected, “It is particularly gratifying to perceive that the prejudices against our Establishment which were very prevalent are disappearing most rapidly.” ​ None the less, the privileged position of the Church of England ensured it and its servants a host of enemies. William Lyon Mackenzie , for one, twice publicly portrayed Evans as unfeeling and uncaring, characteristics allegedly typical of Anglican clergymen. In 1836 Evans found himself in the public eye again when Lieutenant Governor Sir John Colborne responded to the critics of the church’s claims to establishment by endowing 44 Anglican rectories, one of which went to Evans. The rectories, and Anglican pretensions generally, certainly helped bring about the Upper Canadian rebellion, which affected Evans dramatically. ​ In December 1837 Charles Duncombe and Eliakim Malcolm, responding to rumours that rebels had taken Toronto, mustered some 400 to 500 insurgents southwest of Brantford. On the night of 12 December Evans led a little loyalist band bearing messages through rebel lines to Brantford. The next day the rector bravely went to the insurgent camp “to expostulate,” as a fellow priest recorded, “with the deluded schismatics.” Evans brought news of the governor’s proclamation promising pardon for those returning peacefully home. For his efforts, he was detained. Fortunately, release came soon when the rebels dispersed upon discovering that Mackenzie had been defeated in Toronto and that forces, led by Allan Napier MacNab , were marching against them. But Evans could not escape controversy. In the trials that followed he testified against several prominent insurrectionists, thereby earning further ill will. On 2 Oct. 1838 a mob occupied the Congregational church in Burford Township to prevent his preaching there. ​ Eventually the clamour faded, and Evans settled back into an all too penurious routine. As was the custom with other clerics he had to supplement his meagre income by teaching. He first operated a boarding-school and began teaching at the district grammar school in Simcoe when it opened in 1839. As a teacher he took special interest in aspiring clergymen. He also laboured earnestly at his regular pastoral duties, establishing some 14 congregations in the surrounding district. He toiled for the Upper Canada Bible Society and spread the temperance message. At the time of his death he was an archdeacon and rural dean of Norfolk County. ​ These toils exhausted Evans. In 1855 Bishop John Strachan , who thought him “an active and zealous Missionary,” warned him that a continuance of his “usual labours” would be too much for him, and he was right. In a futile effort to recover his health Evans holidayed in Ireland in 1858 but died there between 5 and 7 September after spending only a week with a brother and sister. In Canada he left a monument of solid if unspectacular work and a large, well-educated family. Colin Frederick Read AND let's not forget his wife, Maria Sophia Lewis, who probably had a lot to do with the large, well-educated and successful family! She was b orn in Martock, Somerset, England on 1804 to Thomas Fry Lewis and Charlotte Georgina Forter. She passed away on 29 Jul 1881 in (interestingly) Québec City. St. John's Church, Woodhouse, just south of Simcoe Ontario #6 "Another son b 1845" is Thomas Frye Lewis Evans, the Dean who ended up in Tadoussac!>> This document at left was created in the 1950's, and has lots of information about the Evans and Lewis families and descendants. Several excerpts have been shown above if you don't want to read the whole thing! (The document at left is 38 pages and it's a pdf so you can read it - I made page 35!) ​ ​ NEXT PAGE

  • Museum | tidesoftadoussac1

    Molson Museum and the "Bonne Chance" NEXT PAGE PREVIOUS This is a crazy part of my family history in Tadoussac! My father, Lewis Evans, loved old wooden boats, and in 1951 he bought an old Lower St Lawrence Yawl and named it the "Bonne Chance". It was built about 1870 on Ile D'Orleans. This was our boat until 1966, when it was bought by Jack Molson and James Beattie, and installed in a barn built by Pierre Tremblay near the lake in Tadoussac, where it remains preserved today. ​ The barns contain a vast collection of artifacts collected over 50 years ago, and now part of The Canadian Heritage of Quebec. In recent years they have held an open house in August to give the public a chance to see the collection. Ceci est une partie folle de l'histoire de ma famille à Tadoussac! Mon père, Lewis Evans, aimait vieux bateaux en bois, et en 1951, il a acheté un vieux Bas-Saint-Laurent Yawl et nommé le "Bonne Chance". Il a été construit vers 1870 sur l'Ile d'Orléans. Ce fut notre bateau jusqu'en 1966, quand elle a été achetée par Jack Molson et James Beattie, et installé dans une grange construite par Pierre Tremblay près du lac à Tadoussac, où il reste aujourd'hui conservé. Les granges contiennent une vaste collection d'artefacts recueillis il y a plus de 50 ans, et fait maintenant partie de l'Héritage canadien du Québec. Au cours des dernières années, ils ont tenu une journée portes ouvertes en Août pour donner une chance de voir la collection au public. The Yawl in the beach in Tadoussac in 1950, with Capt Edgar Dallaire (the tall man) probably talking about boats! My brother and sister in the foreground, probably not understanding. La Yole dans la plage de Tadoussac en 1950, avec le capitaine Edgar Dallaire (le homme de grande taille) parle probablement de bateaux! Mon frère et soeur au premier plan, probablement pas comprendre. I could stand up in the cabin when I was small, but with 4'6" headroom it got much smaller as I grew up! Je pourrais tenir debout dans la cabine quand j'étais petit, mais avec 4'6" espace libre il eu beaucoup plus petite que j'ai grandi! Heading up the Saguenay circa 1960 on the "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans and his 3 sons, Alan, Tom and Lew Jr., and the dog Jeff. En remontant le Saguenay vers 1960 sur la "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans et ses 3 fils, Alan, Tom et Lew Jr., et le chien Jeff. D.F.T. & T.F.D. The "White Boat" above circa 1910, below circa 1960, and at right today in the Museum. Le "White Boat" ci-dessus vers 1910, ci-dessous vers 1960, et à droite aujourd'hui au musée. NEXT PAGE

  • William Rhodes & Ann Smith | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS Back in time, in England... William Rhodes 1791-1869 and Ann Smith -1827 NEXT PAGE Lived at Bramhope Hall, near Leeds, Yorkshire, England. The house no longer exists. Married 1817​. Children Caroline 1818, James 1819, Ann 1820, William 1821 , Godfrey 1823, Francis 1825, and then Ann died in 1827. Everybody on the Rhodes family tree is descended from these two. These lovely paintings of Ann Smith and William Rhodes are from about 1820, before photography was invented! Thanks to Ainslie Stephen and Lew Evans. about 1920 Bramhope England

bottom of page