top of page

Search Results

Search this site

92 résultats trouvés avec une recherche vide

  • Tides of Tadoussac

    Tadoussac Historical Photos and Stories - History of Tadoussac CLUB de TENNIS TADOUSSAC TADOUSSAC TENNIS CLUB 1890's - Houses at the top of the hill. The hotel was enlarged in 1898 so this is earlier, before golf? 1890 - Maisons en haut de la colline. L'hôtel a été agrandi en 1898 donc c'est plus tôt, avant de golf?

  • Spruce Cliff | tidesoftadoussac1

    Built in 1861 as a Tadoussac summer residence for Quebec businessman Willis Russell. PREVIOUS Spruce Cliff 1861----> NEXT PAGE Tadoussac 1864 Much of this was written by Lilybell Rhodes (1889-1975), whose family built the house next door, she was a great friend of Grace Scott and often stayed with Grace in the summer. With bits from Grace Scott, Benny Beattie, Susie Bruemmer, Ann Dewart, Brian Dewart. Willis Russell, born 1814, came from Vermont to Quebec City about 1840 in search of lumber interests. Liking Quebec, he sent for his wife Rebecca Page Sanborn and child, who came by stagecoach (under protest), to Quebec. He became very active in the hotel business [the St Louis, the Albion and the Russell Hotels], in municipal affairs, and among other accomplishments, he wrote a 100 page booklet entitled "Quebec As it was and As it is". Willis Russell biography in our Bios section https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/tadbios/russell%2C-willis-%26-rebecca-page-(sanborn) In Quebec, he became friends with Colonel Rhodes, with whom he used to go fishing at the Marguerite River, where they were founding members of the Ste Marguerite Salmon Fishing Club. When Mr Russell first brought his family to Tadoussac, he rented a house in L'Anse a l'Eau. Doctors had recommended sea air for Wilis' ailing daughter, and the summer was sucessful. Then he, Colonel Rhodes, and Mr Powel of Philadelphia bought adjoining lots. Une grande partie de ceci a été écrite par Lilybell Rhodes (1889-1975), dont la famille a construit la maison voisine. Elle était une grande amie de Grace Scott et restait souvent avec Grace en été. Avec des morceaux de Grace Scott, Benny Beattie, Susie Bruemmer, Ann Dewart, Brian Dewart. Willis Russell, né en 1814, est venu du Vermont à Québec vers 1840 à la recherche d'intérêts forestiers. Aimant Québec, il fit venir sa femme Rebecca Page Sa nbo rn et son enfant, qui vinrent, sous protestation, en diligence à Québec. Il devient très actif dans l'hôtellerie [les hôtels St Louis, l'Albion et le Russell], dans les affaires municipales, et entre autres réalisations, il rédige un livret de 100 pages intitulé "Le Québec tel qu'il était et tel qu'il est". Biographie de Willis Russell dans notre section Bios https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/tadbios/russell%2C-willis-%26-rebecca-page-(sanborn) À Québec, il se lie d'amitié avec le colonel Rhodes, avec qui il avait l'habitude d'aller pêcher à la rivière Marguerite, où ils étaient membres du Salmon Fishing Club. Lorsque M. Russell a amené sa famille à Tadoussac pour la première fois, il a loué une maison à L'Anse à l'Eau. Les médecins avaient recommandé l'air marin pour la fille malade de Wilis, et l'été a été un succès. Ensuite, lui, le colonel Rhodes et M. Powel de Philadelphie ont acheté des lots adjacents. Willis Russell's name on the screen on the front door! (actually probably his grandson wrote it) We need a photo of him and his wife! Willis Russell a écrit son nom sur l'écran de la porte d'entrée ! Colonel Rhodes was the first to build. Mrs Mary Wallace recently found a letter from Colonel Rhodes to his builder saying that his friend Mr Russell wanted a house built just like his, and "of as good lumber". Thus the two houses were almost identical, with bell cast roofs, the typical French Canadian roof at the time. The two ice houses were built side by side on property which a later survey revealed was on the Rhodes property. Consequently, Mrs Russel built another ice house attached to the kitchen. On the west side, Mr Russell and Mr Powel built their wash houses back to back with a single dividing wall and a single chimney. They were used for storage, and had wash tubs where an Indian woman used to do the laundry. Their respective outhouses were also back to back with a single dividing wall, and it was rumoured that conversations were carried onby various members of both houses through the wall. Grace and her brother were encouraged to visit the outhouse before dark, as a visit after dark necessitated lighting the lantern. Le colonel Rhodes a été le premier à construire. Mme Mary Wallace a récemment trouvé une lettre du colonel Rhodes à son constructeur disant que son ami M. Russell voulait une maison construite comme la sienne, et "d'aussi bon bois". Ainsi, les deux maisons étaient presque identiques, avec des toits en fonte de cloche, le toit typiquement canadien-français de l'époque. Les deux glacières ont été construites côte à côte sur une propriété qui, selon une enquête ultérieure, se trouvait sur la propriété de Rhodes. Par conséquent, Mme Russel a construit une autre glacière attenante à la cuisine. Du côté ouest, MM. Russell et Powel ont construit leurs lavoirs adossés avec un seul mur mitoyen et une seule cheminée. Ils étaient utilisés pour le stockage et avaient des bacs à laver où une femme indienne faisait la lessive. Leurs dépendances respectives étaient également dos à dos avec un seul mur de séparation, et la rumeur disait que des conversations étaient menées par divers membres des deux maisons à travers le mur. Grace et son frère ont été encouragés à visiter la dépendance avant la tombée de la nuit, car une visite après la tombée de la nuit nécessitait d'allumer la lanterne. Left, the original Rhodes Icehouse, which has partially sunk into the hole underneath which was dug for the ice! Right, the back to back washhouses on the Powel side of the property. À gauche, la glacière originale de Rhodes, qui s'est partiellement enfoncée dans le trou en dessous qui a été creusé pour la glace ! À droite, les lavoirs dos à dos du côté Powel de la propriété. When Willis Russell died in 1887, the property was left to his two surviving children, Agnes Ballard and William Edward, who bought out his sister's share. Left a widow in 1893, Mrs William Edward Russell continued spending her summers in Tadoussac. Mrs Russell used to sit on the front gallery at noon to greet golfers and tennis players as they walked home. Mrs Russell sometimes renting the cottage to Dr Johnathon Dwight of New York. [The Dwights created "Dwight Park" between the road and the bank, above Rhodes houses] It is said that one day a cow walked up the front porch right into the living room one afternoon when he was reading quietly. Lorsque Willis Russell mourut en 1887, la propriété fut laissée à ses deux enfants survivants, Agnes Ballard et William Edward, qui rachetèrent la part de sa sœur. Devenue veuve en 1893, Mme Russell continue de passer ses étés à Tadoussac. Mme Russell avait l'habitude de s'asseoir sur la galerie avant à midi pour saluer les golfeurs et les joueurs de tennis alors qu'ils rentraient chez eux. Mme Russell louait parfois le chalet au Dr Johnathon Dwight de New York. [Les Dwights ont créé "Dwight Park" entre la route et la banque, au-dessus des maisons de Rhodes] On raconte qu'un jour, une vache est montée par le porche directement dans le salon un après-midi alors qu'il lisait tranquillement. Left, William Edward Russell and Fanny Eliza Pope Russell In the late 1800's there was a boardwalk and gazebo at the edge of the bank, a great spot for family photos. The bank is not very stable, eventually the gazebo probably slid down the hill! À gauche, William Edward Russell et Fanny Eliza Pope Russell À la fin des années 1800, il y avait une promenade et un belvédère au bord de la rive, un endroit idéal pour les photos de famille. La berge n'est pas très stable, éventuellement le belvédère a probablement glissé en bas de la colline! In the 20th century, the Leslie Russells and the Scotts spent their holidays with Mrs Russell. Upon her death in 1936, the house was left to her four children, Leslie, Frederick, Nonie and Mabel (Mrs Scott) who bought out her brothers and sister. When Mrs Scott died in 1952, she left the house to her daughter Grace. [Nonie married Dr James Stevenson, they had 3 girls Margaret (Reilley), Elizabeth (O'Neill), and Ann (Dewart), who summered in Tadoussac in the Park!] Below Nonie Russell and James Stevenson ~1900 Grace Scott ~ 1930 Right ~1930's Ann, Margaret and Elizabeth Stevenson with their grandmother Mrs Russell Mrs. Russell's daughter in law, Connie (Home) Russell, wife of Frederick Russell, and the two young ones are John Leslie Russell and Lucille (Suzie) Russell, children of Frederick's brother (Leslie Allan Russell) Below right the girls and dogs Au XXe siècle, les Leslie Russell et les Scott passaient leurs vacances avec Mme Russell. À sa mort en 1936, la maison a été léguée à ses quatre enfants, Leslie, Frederick, Nonie et Mabel (Mme Scott) qui ont acheté la propriété à ses frères et sœur. Lorsque Mme Scott est décédée en 1952, elle a laissé la maison à sa fille Grace. [Nonie a épousé le Dr James Stevenson, ils ont eu 3 filles Margaret (Reilley), Elizabeth (O'Neill) et Ann (Dewart), qui ont passé l'été à Tadoussac in the Park!] The family used to bring a cow down with them from Quebec every year and keep it in the 'cow field' across the street, even though the children didn't like to drink 'cowy milk'. Drinking water was obtained from a spring half way down the bank, and was brought up in buckets suspended from a yoke on the maid's shoulders. Washing water was taken from two rain barrels at each corner of the house. Mint growing near the spring down the bank was gathered by the children for roast lamb. Local lamb was plentiful, as was salmon. (From Mrs Russell's account book 1904, salmon cost 10¢ a pound, wild strawberries 5¢ a glass). The property was taken care of by François Deschenes for many years, and then by his son Freddy. After Freddy's death most families chose Gauthier, but Mrs Russell hired his brother Louis as guardian. When the WIlliams house [next door] burned down in 1932, Louis' wife claimed to have saved the house by throwing her rosary on the roof. Before the time of screened porches, a smudge of bark and spruce bits was kept burning in a large iron kettle on the lawn to keep the black flies away. On the front gallery always hung a long tail of seaweed, which by its dryness or dampness indicated the type of weather to expect - or so we thought. Grace remembers that life was more formal in her youth. Everyone went to church on Sunday, and everyone was expected to be on time for meals. Rising bell rang at 8h00, and a breakfast bell at 8h30. A loud bell was rung outside for those on the beach. Kerosene lamps and candles provided light before electricity arrived in 1945. [link to hydro station] Every home had afternoon tea, a wonderful time for entertaining and visiting. Below Mrs Scott, Nonie and Elizabeth O'Neill, Grace Scott Susie (Scott) Bruemmer, Aidan O'Neill, Bobby Scott, Kathrine and Patrick O'Neill La famille avait l'habitude d'amener une vache avec eux du Québec chaque année et de la garder dans le « champ de vache » de l'autre côté de la rue, même si les enfants n'aimaient pas boire du « lait de vache ». L'eau potable provenait d'une source à mi-chemin sur la rive et était amenée dans des seaux suspendus à un joug sur les épaules de la bonne. L'eau de lavage provenait de deux barils de pluie à chaque coin de la maison. La menthe poussant près de la source en bas de la rive était cueillie par les enfants pour l'agneau rôti. L'agneau local était abondant, tout comme le saumon. (D'après le livre de comptes de Mme Russell de 1904, le saumon coûte 10 ¢ la livre, les fraises des bois 5 ¢ le verre). La propriété a été entretenue par François Deschênes pendant de nombreuses années, puis par son fils Freddy. Après la mort de Freddy, la plupart des familles ont choisi Gauthier, mais Mme Russell a embauché son frère Louis comme tuteur. Lorsque la maison Williams [à côté] a brûlé en 1932, la femme de Louis a affirmé avoir sauvé la maison en jetant son chapelet sur le toit. Avant l'époque des porches grillagés, une tache d'écorce et de morceaux d'épinette brûlait dans une grande bouilloire en fer sur la pelouse pour éloigner les mouches noires. Sur la galerie avant pendait toujours une longue queue d'algues qui, par sa sécheresse ou son humidité, indiquait le type de temps à attendre - du moins le pensions-nous. Grace se souvient que la vie était plus formelle dans sa jeunesse. Tout le monde est allé à l'église le dimanche, et tout le monde devait être à l'heure pour les repas. La cloche du lever a sonné à 8h00 et une cloche du petit déjeuner à 8h30. Une cloche bruyante sonnait à l'extérieur pour ceux qui se trouvaient sur la plage. Des lampes à kérosène et des bougies fournissaient de la lumière avant l'arrivée de l'électricité en 1945. [lien vers la centrale hydroélectrique] Chaque maison avait le thé de l'après-midi, un moment merveilleux pour se divertir et visiter. 35 NEXT PAGE

  • LE MIROIR Articles/Histoires | tidesoftadoussac1

    LE MIROIR Stories/Histoires Le Miroir is published by the Municipality of Tadoussac, and they have asked for some photos and stories that illustrate the fascinating history of Tadoussac. As they come out they will be posted on this page in both languages! Le Miroir est publié par la Municipalité de Tadoussac et a demandé des photos et des histoires qui illustrent l'histoire fascinante de Tadoussac. À leur arrivée, ils seront affichés sur cette page dans les deux langues! UN PETIT PEIGNE CHEZ CID! Text from the book "Tides of Tadoussac" By R Lewis Evans Can you identify the people in this photo? In front of the door, Beth Dewart, Maggie Reilley, Geoff Izard, and at the right end MARIE CID POUVEZ-VOUS NOUS AIDER À IDENTIFIER LES PERSONNES SUR CETTE PHOTOS? À NOTER QUE MARIE CID SE TROUVE À L’EXTRÊME DROITE SUR LA PHOTO. We all know La Boheme in the middle of Tadoussac but some of us remember it fondly as the Marchand General du Pierre Cid. Pierre Cid was a Syrian who immigrated to Canada and settled in Tadoussac and after his death, three of his children, Joe, Marie, and Alexandrine ran the store right into their old age, living in the back of the building. Joe was a delightful man and ran the place. Marie, suffering from Parkinson's Disease, was small and shook constantly, but she was lovely to everyone, knew the price of everything in the store and could add in the tax in seconds. Alexandrine was quite the opposite. Not a believer in the idea that “the customer is always right,” she did not suffer fools gladly. Back in the days that the Canada Steamship Lines owned the Hotel Tadoussac the President of CSL came to stay at the hotel. The hotel staff were terrified. Criticism from the great man could cost them their jobs and they worked very hard to make sure everything was perfect. During his stay he decided to go play golf, and on his way there stopped his flashy big Cadillac outside the Marchand General. In he proudly walked in his canary yellow golfing outfit like a little Napoleon, looked at Alexandrine sternly, and said, “Je veux une peigne.” She made some grunt that sounded like a seal, shuffled off in her bedroom slippers into the gloom at the back of the store and returned with a used ice-cream bucket full of combs. He looked through them and said, “They're not very big, are they?” She looked him in the eye and replied in a voice that could be heard throughout the store, “Big enough for you. You don't have much hair anyway!” Tout le monde connait Le Café Bohème situé au coeur de Tadoussac, mais certains d’entre- nous s’en rappellent encore comme du Marchand Général Pierre Cid. Pierre Cid était un Syrien ayant immigré au Canada et qui s’était établi à Tadoussac. Après sa mort, trois de ses enfants, Joe, Marie et Alexandrine, ont pris la relève de la petite entreprise familiale jusqu’à leurs vieux jours, vivant dans la partie arrière du bâtiment. Joe était un homme charmant et était celui en charge du magasin. Marie, atteinte de la maladie de Parkinson, était petite et souffrait de tremblements constants. Elle était aimable avec tout le monde, connaissait les prix de tout ce qui se vendait en magasin et pouvait faire le calcul des taxes en quelques secondes seulement. Alexandrine était tout le contraire. N’adhérant pas à l’adage populaire voulant que le client aie toujours raison, elle n’avait que faire des imbéciles. Du temps où la Canada Steamship Lines était propriétaire de l’Hôtel Tadoussac, le président de la compagnie vint résider à l’Hôtel. Le personnel en était terrifié. Une mauvaise critique du grand patron pourrait leur coûter leur emploi et ils travaillèrent donc très fort afin de s’assurer que tout soit parfait. Lors de son séjour, monsieur le Président décida d’aller jouer au golf et en route, arrêta sa rutilante Cadillac devant le Marchand Général. Vêtu d’un habit de golf jaune canari, il entra dans le magasin d’un pas fier tel un petit Napoléon, adressa un regard sévère à Alexandrine et dit: « Je veux un peigne! ». Elle émit un petit grognement semblable à celui d’un phoque, trottina, pantoufles aux pieds, dans la pénombre de l’arrière-boutique et revint quelques instants plus tard avec un vieux pot de crème glacée rempli de peignes. Le Président y jeta un oeil et dit: «Ils ne sont pas très gros vos peignes.» Alexandrine le regarda droit dans les yeux et lui répondit d’une voix suffisamment forte pour être entendue à travers tout le magasin : «Ils sont bien assez gros pour vous. De toute façon, ce n’est pas comme si vous aviez beaucoup de cheveux !» Pierre Cid?

  • View from HighUp | tidesoftadoussac1

    Views of Tadoussac from the Cross over 100 years View from High Up Vue d'en haut Circa 1880 Circa 1880 Circa 1895 Circa 1895 Circa 1900 Circa 1930 Circa 1935 Circa 1940 Circa 1945 The Church is gone L'église a disparu Circa 1947 Circa 1950 Circa 1965 Two interesting close-ups Both late 1800's Road behind Cid's going down into the gully And a house overlooking the lake Deux gros plans intéressants À la fin des années 1800 Route derrière Cid va descendre dans le ravin Et une maison surplombant le lac

  • Pleasure Boats and the Tadoussac Marina, 1940-1980

    Boats, Yachts, Marina in Tadoussac 1940-1980 Boats, Marina, 1940-1980 Bateaux, Marina Lewis Evans, my father, loved Tadoussac and he loved boats! In 1939 he bought the "Norôua" named after the north-west wind. It was a 25' schooner built in Tancook Island, Nova Scotia. Lewis Evans, mon père, aimait Tadoussac et il aimait les bateaux! En 1939, il acheta le "Norôua" du nom du vent du nord-ouest. C'était une goélette de 25 pieds construite sur l'île Tancook, en Nouvelle-Écosse. These photos are from the LOG of the Noroua, 1939-1950 (some colourized!) Armand Imbeau in Tadoussac In 1949, Georges Plourde and Captain D'Allaire brought this Lower St Lawrence Yawl from the south shore to Tadoussac. Our family was growing, and this became the "Bonne Chance". En 1949, Georges Plourde et le Capitaine D'Allaire (sur la photo) ont amené ce Yawl du bas Saint-Laurent de la rive sud à Tadoussac. Notre famille s'agrandissait, et c'est devenu la "Bonne Chance". Norôua & Bonne Chance, Tadoussac, 1950 below left Lewis Evans? on the Bonne Chance Alan Evans with the Captain's hat Anne and Betty Evans Bateau du Capitaine Nicholas? Hobo Guy Smith End of the season, Bonne Chance towing Hobo to the dry dock Fin de saison, Bonne Chance remorquant Hobo en cale sèche Empress of Tadoussac Arthur Price Left and below Larry Peck Redwing In the photo at left the schooner with the broken mast is th "Lively Lady" More photos on the SHIPWRECKS page Sur la photo de gauche, la goélette au mât cassé est la "Lively Lady" Plus de photos sur la page SHIPWRECKS The Strathbelle Saguenayan Sam Bailley & Jamboree Coosie Price Jamboree being towed back from St Etienne by the Anne Le Jamboree remorqué de St Etienne par Anne above Coosie Price Jamboree stored for the winter beside the Pilot House drawing by Lily Bell Rhodes Jamboree entreposé pour l'hiver à côté de la Pilot House la dessin par Lily Bell Rhodes Previously Penwa Gordon Smith Later GAL Nan and Bob Leggatt (below) Fish Hatchery Boat Le Saumon Bateau d'écloserie Le Saumon Chicoutimi NEXT PAGE Lewis Evans' boat Anne of Tadoussac with Alan Evans coiling cable Price sailboat Cinvar Lalu Alan Evans' first boat Le premier bateau d'Alan Evans Stairs Durnfords Molsons First Dredging of the Marina Premier dragage de la marina Jamestown built by Greg Cowan Tom Evans and Alan Evans sailing the 505 July 2005 75

  • Col.William Rhodes & Anne Catherine Dunn | tidesoftadoussac1

    Col William Rhodes and Anne Dunn Col. William Rhodes 1821-1892 Anne Catherine Dunn 1823-1911 Anne Dunn was the grandaughter of Hon.Thomas Dunn (1729-1818, Governor of Lower Canada in the early 1800's) William Rhodes was born at Bramhope Hall in Yorkshire in 1821, the son of William Rhodes 1791-1869 and Ann Smith ?-1827 Above, at Benmore with daughters Below, at Tadoussac with daughters and grandchildren John and Frank Morewood William Rhodes and his brother James At Benmore with daughter Minnie Col. & Mrs Rhodes and family on the lawn at Brynhyfryd about 1880's Family and friends early 1890's in Tadoussac Granny and some of her Grandchildren early 1900's Granny with family and friends about 1907 Biography of Col. William Rhodes from Quebec National Assembly website Né à Bramhope Hall, dans le Yorkshire, en Angleterre, le 29 novembre 1821, fils de William Rhodes, capitaine dans le 19th Lancers, l'ancien 19th Light Dragoons, et d'Ann Smith. Entra dans l'armée britannique en mai 1838, à titre d'enseigne dans le 68th Foot (Durham-Light Infantry); arriva au Canada en août 1841 et servit à Québec d'octobre 1842 à mai 1844. Retourna en Angleterre, mais revint dans la colonie en 1847; cette année-là, quitta les rangs de l'armée avec le grade de capitaine. En 1848, acheta le domaine de Benmore, à Sillery, où il s'établit et s'occupa d'horticulture. Engagé, avec Evan John Price et d'autres, dans l'exploration et l'exploitation minière dans les comtés de Wolfe et de Mégantic, pendant les années 1860. Administrateur de nombreuses compagnies, parmi lesquelles la Banque d'Union du Bas-Canada, dont il avait été l'un des fondateurs, et le Grand Tronc; fut président de la Compagnie d'entrepôt de Québec et de la Compagnie du pont de Québec, qu'il contribua à mettre sur pied, ainsi que des chemins de fer de Québec et Richmond, Québec et Trois-Pistoles, et de la Compagnie du chemin de fer de la rive nord. Élu député de Mégantic en 1854; appuya généralement les réformistes, puis les bleus. Ne s'est pas représenté en 1858. Entra au cabinet Mercier le 7 décembre 1888 en qualité de commissaire de l'Agriculture et de la Colonisation. Élu député libéral de Mégantic à l'Assemblée législative à une élection partielle le 27 décembre 1888. Défait en 1890; démissionna du cabinet le 27 juin. Cofondateur en 1851 de l'Association de la salle musicale de Québec. Président en 1883 et 1884 de la Société de géographie de Québec. Président de la Société d'horticulture; l'un des promoteurs du Mérite agricole, créé en 1890. Juge de paix. Lieutenant-colonel dans la milice, mais connu comme étant le colonel Rhodes. Décédé dans sa résidence de Benmore, à Sillery, le 16 février 1892, à l'âge de 70 ans et 2 mois. Après des obsèques célébrées dans l'église anglicane St. Michael, fut inhumé dans le cimetière Mount Hermon, le 19 février 1892. Avait épousé dans la cathédrale anglicane Holy Trinity, à Québec, le 16 juin 1847, Anne Catherine Dunn, fille de Robert Dunn, qui avait été assistant au cabinet du secrétaire civil, et de Margaret Bell; elle était la petite-fille de Thomas Dunn et de Mathew Bell. Juin 2009 Biography of Col. William Rhodes from Quebec National Assembly website Born in Bramhope Hall , Yorkshire , England, November 29, 1821 , son of William Rhodes , Captain in the 19th Lancers , the former 19th Light Dragoons, and Ann Smith. Entered the British army in May 1838 as an ensign in the 68th Foot ( Durham Light Infantry ) arrived in Canada in August 1841 and served in Quebec from October 1842 to May 1844. Returned to England, but returned to the colony in 1847 and left the ranks of the army with the rank of captain. In 1848, purchased the estate of Benmore, Sillery, where he settled and engaged in horticulture. Engaged with Evan John Price and others in exploration and mining in the counties of Wolfe and Mégantic, during the 1860s. Director of several companies, including the Union Bank of Lower Canada, where he was one of the founders, and the Grand Trunk. President of the Company Warehouse Quebec and Quebec Bridge Company, which he helped to establish, as well as railway Quebec and Richmond, Quebec City and Trois- Pistoles, the Company of the railway on the north shore . Elected MP for Mégantic in 1854, generally supported the reformists and the blues. Was not represented in 1858. Joined the Mercier cabinet December 7, 1888 as Commissioner of Agriculture and Colonization. Elected Liberal MP for Mégantic in the Legislative Assembly in a by-election December 27, 1888. Defeated in 1890 , resigned from the cabinet on June 27. Co-founder in 1851 of the Association of Quebec Music. President in 1883 and 1884 of the Geographical Society of Quebec. President of the Horticultural Society, one of the promoters of Agricultural Merit, created in 1890. Justice of the Peace. Lieutenant- Ccolonel in the militia, but known as Colonel Rhodes. Died at his home in Benmore, Sillery, February 16, 1892, at the age of 70 years and 2 months. After the funeral celebrated in the Anglican Church of St. Michael, was buried in Mount Hermon Cemetery , February 19, 1892. Married in the Anglican Cathedral of the Holy Trinity , Quebec City, June 16, 1847, Catherine Anne Dunn, daughter of Robert Dunn, who had been assistant to the Office of Civil Secretary , and Margaret Bell. She was the granddaughter of Thomas Dunn and Mathew Bell. June 2009 Longer (english) b iography on the Bios Page>> www.tidesoftadoussac.com/tadbios/rhodes%2C-col.-william-and-anne-catherine-(dunn) Col Rhodes made the cover of this magazine in 1998 put out by the National Archives, with an article about William Notman's Hunting Photographs, this one was taken in 1866. Col Rhodes was aquainted with the Canadian Painter Cornelius Krieghoff, in Quebec City, and bought several paintings from him. These paintings passed down through the family. Our family owned one called "Frozen River" which was sold at auction in the 1980's. It is now in the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto. Col Rhodes is actually in this painting by Krieghoff. The text at left describes the painting. 29

  • CONTACT | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS WELCOME/BIENVENUE to/à Tides of Tadoussac/ Marées de Tadoussac This site is a home for historic photographs of Tadoussac. My ancestors came to Tadoussac in the mid-1800's and built a summer house in 1860. Over the years many other houses were built, and the families came to Tadoussac every year. They took many photographs, and together these photos illustrate the social history of the community. I'd like to thank all the people who have shown me their photographs! If you have photos or other historic material you would like to contribute, or any corrections to the information here, I'd love to hear from you! I copy the photos by taking pictures of them with a digital camera, it's fast and easy and non-destructive. So far I have collected over 10,000 photographs, there are thousands in the site! It is a pleasure to make these materials available for everyone to see! I have added French using Google Translate, I apologize if it doesn't always make sense, please send corrections! Ce site rassemble des photographies historiques de Tadoussac. Mes ancêtres sont arrivés à Tadoussac au milieu du XIXe siècle et y ont construit une maison d'été en 1860. Au fil des ans, de nombreuses autres maisons ont été bâties et les familles venaient y séjourner chaque année. Ils ont pris plein de photos qui, ensemble, illustrent l'histoire sociale de la communauté. J'aimerais remercier toutes les personnes qui m'ont fait part de leurs photos ! Si vous avez des photos ou d'autres documents historiques que vous souhaitez partager, ou si vous avez des corrections à apporter aux informations présentées ici, n'hésitez pas à me contacter ! Je copie les photos en les photographiant avec un appareil photo numérique ; c'est rapide, facile et non destructif. J'ai déjà rassemblé plus de 10 000 photographies, dont des milliers sont disponibles sur le site ! C'est un plaisir de rendre ces documents accessibles à tous ! J'ai ajouté du français à l'aide de Google Traduction ; excusez-moi si le texte n'est pas toujours clair. N'hésitez pas à me signaler toute erreur ! About 1905 on the Terrien Yacht on the Saguenay - back - Frank Morewood, Bob Campbell, Bobby Morewood, his mother Minnie Morewood, Kate VanIffland second wife of Armitage Rhodes. Middle - Sidney Williams and Billy Morewood, Nan Rhodes Williams and Lennox Williams. Front - Charlie Rhodes, ?, Nancy Morewood and Mary Williams Wallace. A l'époque 1905 sur le Yacht Terrien sur le Saguenay Note! 3 young people in the front row have cameras! ! 3 jeunes dans la première rangée ont des caméras! Mid 1860's. The old Hudson's Bay Post on the right, the back of the original Hotel, at the far left can be seen the 5 Price staff houses (they were all the same then, l to r Cote House, Ida's, Hovington's, Stairs', gap where the rectory is now, Beattie's). Also Spruce Cliff (behind trees) and old Brynhyfryd at the top of the bluff, no Barn or beyond. Dufferin House not built yet, the steeple of the old church is just visible above the hotel. Lots of landslides on the bank! Not many trees on the hills! Milieu des années 1860. Bay Post de la vieille Hudson sur la droite, à l'arrière de l'Hôtel original, à l'extrême gauche on peut voir les cinq maisons du personnel Price (ils étaient tous les mêmes; de gauche à droite Maison Cote, Chez Ida, Hovington, Stairs, écart où le presbytère est maintenant, Beattie). Aussi Spruce Cliff (derrière les arbres) et ancien Brynhyfryd au sommet de la falaise, aucune Barn ou au-delà. Maison Dufferin pas encore construite, le clocher de l'ancienne église est à peine visible au-dessus de l'hôtel. Beaucoup de glissements de terrain sur la rive! Pas beaucoup d'arbres sur les collines! Tom Evans 13 Rue Pc Languedoc CP 1391 Tadoussac Qc G0T2A0 200 Clearview Ave #2730 Ottawa ON K1Z8M2 Tides of Tadoussac seemed the obvious name for the website, being the name of the book my dad (Lewis Evans) wrote about Tadoussac. We have copies if you want one (free)

  • Cap à Jack | tidesoftadoussac1

    Tadoussac Historical Photos and Stories - History of Tadoussac Cap à Jack on the Saguenay River 1911-1935 Cap à Jack was a cabin built by Dean Lewis Evans in about 1911. He was a keen fisherman, and he could be closer to his favorite spots early in the morning and in the evening, when the fish are biting. There were many visitors and activities. A cabin to go to from the cottage in Tadoussac! Cap à Jack était une cabane construite par Dean Lewis Evans environ 1911. Il était un pêcheur passionné, et il pourrait être plus proche de ses endroits préférés tôt dans la matinée et en soirée, lorsque le poisson mord. Il y avait de nombreux visiteurs et activités. Une cabine pour aller partir du chalet à Tadoussac! Where was it? Cap à Jacques is the rocky point just below St Etienne, about 9 miles up the Saguenay from Tadoussac. Où était-il? Cap à Jacques est la pointe rocheuse juste en dessous de St Etienne, environ 9 miles de Tadoussac sur la rivière Saguenay. How did they get there? The "Minota" Emily and Lewis Evans and their son Lewis Evans, my father, about 1917 Comment sont-ils arrivés? Le «Minota" Emily et Lewis Evans et leur fils Lewis Evans, mon père, environ 1917 Coming ashore below the cabin in 1912, and today Venant à la rivage au-dessous de la cabine en 1912, et aujourd'hui The Bathing Pool is small natural pool with rocks at the entrance, only accessible by boat at high tide. Recently visited by 'Webbling'! Le bassin de baignade est petite bassin naturel avec des rochers à l'entrée, uniquement accessible par bateau à marée haute. récemment visitée par 'Webbling'! Emily (Bethune) Evans 1913 - some guests, and R Lewis Evans, age 2, and his father Dean Lewis Evans, age 67 Emily (Bethune) Evans and Dean Lewis Evans Lennox Williams, Sydney Williams, and Willie Rhodes, my mother's grandfather le grand-père de ma mère Tea at Cap à Jack, the Dean, and the other fellow is Hal Bethune R Lewis Evans and Cecily Larratt Smith Aunt Vera Bethune, Aunt Marion Bethune, Dad - Dean Lewis Evans, Marjorie Gagnon Emily (Bethune) Evans Dean Lewis Evans died in 1919 at the age of 74 Dean Lewis Evans est mort en 1919 à l'âge de 74 ans circa 1926, R Lewis Evans with his gun, May Carrington Smith, Nan Gale, Ann (Dewart) Stevenson, Maggie(Reilley) Smut the dog, Emily (Bethune) Evans, Kae Evans, the Stevenson sisters, Elizabeth (O'Neill) (note camera), Maggie (Reilley), Ann (Dewart), May Carrington Smith, Nan Gale The Stevenson sisters, Elizabeth (O'Neill), Ann (Dewart), Maggie (Reilley) Kae Evans Marjorique and Basil Evans with fishing gear Cap à Jack was dismantled in about 1935 Cap à Jack a été démantelé environ 1935 43

  • RhodesGrandkids | tidesoftadoussac1

    Grandchildren of William Rhodes, Quebec & Tadoussac, Quebec NEXT PAGE The 18 Tadoussac Grandchildren of William Rhodes and Anne Dunn PREVIOUS This is an amazing collection of photographs of the RHODES Family in Tadoussac, assembled from albums of many families. These folks are our ancestors, the people that enjoyed Tadoussac before we did. You will have heard of most of them, and if you are 40+ maybe you knew them. This page is LONG, hundreds of photos. But it's PHOTOGRAPHS, not much reading involved! Take the time to get to know some great people. This page introduces the older ancestors, the children of William and Anne Rhodes, but focuses on the 18 grandchildren who spent wonderful time in Tadoussac from the 1880's to the 1980's! Of the 18 only 8 have descendants, but there are now about 140 direct descendants who come to Tadoussac, and they have built 16 houses in Tadoussac! You may be one! 18 of the RHODES GRANDCHILDREN Carrie Rhodes Morewood 1881 John Morewood1884 Frank Morewood1886 Catherine Rhodes 1888 Nancy Morewood 1888 Jimmy Williams 1888 Lily Bell Rhodes 1889 Mary Williams Wallace 1890 Charley Rhodes 1890 Gertrude Williams Alexander 1891 Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1891 Frances Rhodes 1892 Dorothy Rhodes Evans1892 Gertrude Rhodes1896 Bobby Morewood 1897 Sidney Williams 1899 Monica Rhodes1904 Armitage (Peter) Rhodes Hargreaves 1909 (Omitted from this list are 5 who died in infancy, and 9 children of Bob Rhodes who lived in the US and didn't come to Tadoussac, so the total is really about 32). Peter de Rodes came from France to England in about 1600 William Rhodes 1791-1869 and Ann Smith -1827 lived in Bramhope Hall, England, near Leeds. Their second son, William Rhodes, moved to Quebec in 1842. He married Anne Catherine Dunn in 1846, granddaughter of Thomas Dunn of Quebec. The Rhodes Family lived at Benmore, Sillery, Quebec They built a summer cottage "Brynhyfryd" in Tadoussac in 1860, which was constantly expanded to accomodate the growing family. This is organized by family First the PARENTS (the children of William Rhodes and Anne Dunn) Then the GRANDCHILDREN William Rhodes (Jr) 1851-1921 Caroline Hibler 1848-1929 William was the third oldest of the five Rhodes boys. He worked for the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, and travelled the world delivering and assembling locomotives. They had one daughter. Carrie Rhodes Morewood 1881-1973 The oldest Grandchild, she was born in Australia, and lived in Doylestown and Bryn Mayr (near Philadelphia), and with her son Bill and his family in New Jersey. She summered in Quebec at Benmore and Tadoussac, and married her first cousin Frank Morewood. She is my grandmother, I knew her well! A lovely lady. Carrie, Frank, Bill and Betty(Evans) Morewood) Harry Morewood 1855-1916 Minnie Rhodes 1857-1942 Minnie was the 6th oldest of the Rhodes children, with 5 older brothers. The Morewood had 5 children, and much of the family lived at the Rhodes family home, Benmore in Quebec, until it was sold in the late 1940's. And of course summer in Tadoussac. Frank Morewood 1886-1949 Frank was an artist and architect, and designed several Tadoussac houses (Windward, Brynhyfryd, Turcot). He married his first cousin Carrie (above) and is my grandfather. They had 2 children, Bill and Betty. John Morewood 1884-1944 Nancy Morewood 1888-1946 Isobel (Billy) Morewood 1891-1977 at right Meeting the boat in Anse a L'Eau with her cousin/sister-in-law Carrie Rhodes circa 1910 Bobby Morewood 1897-1964 below, Bill and Ainslie Stephen, Harry Bob and Frank Morewood, Phoebe Morewood Family Photos Left Bill Morewood and Aunt Billy Morewood Right Aunt Margaret Bill and Betty (Evans) Morewood Bobby Morewood Godfrey Rhodes 1850-1932 Lily Jamison 1859-1939 Godfrey was second oldest, and he trained with his brother William in industrial mills in Pennsylvania. He inherited from his namesake, Uncle Godfrey Rhodes, and bought Cataraquai, a large estate in Sillery, Quebec, next door to the Rhodes family home Benmore. They had one daughter Catherine. Cataraquai in Quebec Catherine Rhodes 1888-1972 Catherine was very interested in art and an artist herself. She married Percival Tudor-Hart, a well known artist, and they built a large house in Tadoussac . He had two children from a previous marriage. Catherine lived at Cataraquia her whole life. Armitage Rhodes 1848-1909 Ida Alleman 1854-1893 Katie VonIffland 1867-1938 Armitage was the oldest, and had two children Charley and Dorothy (Dorsh) with his first wife, and two daughters with his second wife, Monica and Armitage (Peter). He lived at Benmore and spent a lot of time in Tadoussac at Brynhyfryd. Above Charley Rhodes with his mother in Montreal Charley Rhodes 1890-? Below Charley Rhodes with Uncle Jimmy Rhodes at Benmore Dorothy Rhodes Evans 1892-1977 at right Dorothy with Katie (VonIffland) Rhodes Below with Monica Dorothy Rhodes married Trevor Evans, and they had four children, Phoebe, Ainslie, Trevor and Tim. They bought the cottage Ivanhoe Dorothy (Dorsh) at right with a couple of her grandchildren Bill and Margie Stephen early 1950's at Hovington's Farm Monica Rhodes1904-1985 Armitage Rhodes and his second wife, Katie VonIffland, with Monica Below Monica Rhodes and her grandmother Anne (Dunn) Rhodes Armitage (Peter) Rhodes Hargreaves 1909-1969 above Dorothy, Peter, Katie (VanIffland) Rhodes above 1913 Peter with her grandmother MrsVonIffland below Katie (Von Iffland) Rhodes with Peter and Dorothy Francis Rhodes 1853-1926 Totie LeMoine 1859-1941 Francis was the fourth oldest and married a Québec girl, Totie LeMoyne, of "Spencer Grange", near Benmore, outside Québec. He studied mining and they lived in the US until James LeMoyne died and they came back to Quebec. They had 3 daughters, LilyBell, Frances and Gertrude. Spencer Grange still exists, at 1328, Avenue Duquet, Quebec Lily Bell Rhodes 1889-1975 above Lily and Frances with their father Francis, at the sand dunes Frances Rhodes 1892-1976 below 1916 at Spencer Grange Lily LucyLogan MargaretPrice GertrudeWA 1950 LilyBell and another cousin, Margaret Robes in Boston The third sister Gertrude Rhodes1896-1926 She studied medicine and when she was an intern in a Denver hospital she got sick and died at the age of 30. Nan Rhodes Williams with Lily and Gertrude, only one photo Caroline Anne (Nan) Rhodes 1861-1937 Lennox Williams 1859-1958 Nan was the second daughter, seventh child in the Rhodes family. She married Lennox Williams who became Bishop of Quebec, they lived in Quebec City and had 4 children. Nan inherited Brynhyfryd from her parents. Jim Williams 1888-1916 He is the oldest son of Lennox Williams and Nan Rhodes. Born in 1888, married Evelyn Meredith January 3, 1916. He was killed in the First World War at the Somme in November 18, 1916 at the age of 28. More photos at under the Williams Tab above Mary Williams Wallace 1890 - 1989 Mary and Jack Wallace owned Brynhyfryd for many years. They had one daughter Nan (Wallace) Leggat, and two sons Jack and Michael Wallace. ~1907 MaryWallace with HarrietRoss at left Mary with Robbie Leggat? early 1950's Gertrude Williams Alexander 1891-? Gertrude married Gen. Ronald Alexander and they had three children, Jim Alexander, Jean (Alexander) Aylan-Parker, and Ron Alexander above circa 1900 in front of Benmore below circa 1907 with her aunt Minnie (Rhodes) Morewood and her granny Anne (Dunn) Rhodes Canon Sidney Waldron Williams 1899-1972 Sidney Williams married Enid Price and they had four children, Joan, Susan, Jim and Sheila at right 1913 Donat Therrien, brother Jimmy and Sid The Williams family at Brynhyfryd circa 1914 Mary Syd Jim Evelyn Lennox&Nan Gertrude The Sidney/Enid Williams family circa Mary Syd Jim Evelyn Lennox&Nan Gertrude Do you think you are done? You are not! There's more Rhodes Grandchildren, mostly having fun together in Tadoussac! Keep going to the next page>>>> 190 NEXT PAGE

  • Tides of Tadoussac

    Interesting places on the Saguenay River near Tadoussac La Rivière Saguenay Endroits Intéressants Cool Places on the Saguenay River Pointe à la CROIX Pointe à la Croix Pointe à la Croix L'origine de la croix n'est pas connue, mais il y a des références à la Pointe à la Croix dans 2 livres, de 1889 et 1891. La croix a été remplacée au moins quatre fois ! The origin of the cross is not known, but there are references to Pointe à la Croix in 2 books, from 1889 and 1891. The cross has been replaced at least four times! Circa 1930, tea (with china teacups!) on Pt à la Croix, at center my grandmother Emily Evans, and my father R Lewis Evans Vers 1930, thé (avec des tasses en porcelaine !) sur Pt à la Croix, au centre ma grand-mère Emily Evans, et mon père R Lewis Evans This was the old cross that was mounted on Pointe à la Croix, the little point jutting out into the Saguenay River, from the east below the cliffs between Anse La Barque and La Boule bay. This one fell down and somebody put up another...the cross is dated 1941, the vertical piece on which it stood up supported by a pile of rocks was missing at the time we brought it home, about 1971 (tag by Jack Molson). This cross was replaced by R Lewis Evans and Tom Evans in the early 1970's C'était l'ancienne croix qui était montée sur la Pointe à la Croix, la petite pointe qui s'avance dans la rivière Saguenay, par l'est en contrebas des falaises entre l'Anse La Barque et la baie de La Boule. Celui-ci est tombé et quelqu'un en a posé un autre... la croix est datée de 1941, la pièce verticale sur laquelle elle se tenait soutenue par un tas de rochers manquait au moment où nous l'avons ramenée à la maison, vers 1971 (tag de Jack Molson) . Ce croisement a été remplacé par R Lewis Evans et Tom Evans au début des années 1970 The cross fell down again and was replaced by Tom Evans and friends! 2005 La croix est retombée et a été remplacée par Tom Evans et ses amis ! 2005 more coming soon... 11

  • Dean Lewis Evans & May and Emily Bethun | tidesoftadoussac1

    PREVIOUS Dean Lewis Evans May Bethune and Emily Bethune NEXT PAGE The Evans family is in the middle of the Family Tree. Dean Lewis Evans married twice, and his wives were second cousins. May Bethune is the mother of Trevor Evans 1879-1938, who married Dorothy Rhodes 1892-1977, parents of Phoebe, Ainslie, Trevor and Tim. After May died Lewis Evans Sr married Emily Bethune, 20 years younger, and they surprised everyone with another Lewis Evans 1911-1988 (my father). When he was born his mother Emily was 45, father Lewis Evans was 65! Dad's half-brothers were a generation older, he even had a half-nephew who was older than he was. Family Tree Evans Bethune Crooks Ewart Price Molson Carrington-Smith and others A famous name on the tree is Norman Bethune, Canadian physician and medical innovator. He is best known for his service in war time medical units during the Spanish Civil War and with the Communist Eighth Route Army during the Second Sino-Japanese War. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bethune When Lewis Evans married Betty Morewood in 1944 it was the second Evans-Rhodes marriage. 25 years earlier his half-brother Trevor had married Dorothy Rhodes, who was first cousin to Betty's mother Carrie Rhodes Morewood! Got it? Emily Bethune's mother was a Ewart, and her grandmother was a Crooks. One relative is John Price (not related to the other Quebec/Tadoussac Prices), Dad's second cousin, who came to Canada from Scotland to go to medical school at McGill in the 1950's, and he often stayed with us in Tadoussac. He married Nancy Beattie. Doris Molson was Dad's third cousin on her mother (Dawson)'s side, she is also related through her father to the Tadoussac Smiths! (so you'll know if anyone asks) Lewis Evans Family, in 1900 and 1918, in Tadoussac Lewis Evans's first wife died in 1903 so say the year is 1900 ABOVE left to right Muriel 1877-1952 (23) Ruby 1885-1947 (15) Trevor 1879-1938 (21 very dapper) May 1848-1903 (52) Basil 1874-1958 (26) (is he a train conductor?) Lewis Evans 1846-1919 (54) unknown girl 2 unknown dogs Lewis Evans died in 1919 so say the year is 1918 BELOW left to right Basil 1874-1958 (44) Emily 1866-1947 (52) (same age as May in other photo!) Kae Evans 1909-2001 (9) Lewis Evans 1846-1919 (72) Miles Hudspeth 1908-2005 (10) Trevor 1879-1938 (39) Muriel 1877-1952 (41) Lewis Evans 1911-1988 (7) Where's Ruby? 1 unknown dog My grandfather Lewis Evans was born in 1846! He graduated from university in Confederation year 1867, and in 1873 he became rector at St Stephen's Church in Westmount, Montreal, where he remained for 46 years, living in the Rectory behind the church. He got married in 1873, and in 1884 he became minister at the Tadoussac Protestant Chapel (35 years). Photos above by William Notman, from the McCord Museum website. St Stephen Church, Westmount, Montreal I have a cigar box Presented to The Very Reverend Lewis Evans DD DCE Dean of Montreal By a few of his old parishioners as a slight token of their esteem and affection for him on the occasion of the 40th Anniversary of his appointment as Rector of Saint Stephens Church 2nd November 1873 1913 Dean Lewis Evans in Montreal, and his second wife Emily with their son Lewis Evans, circa 1912 "The Cottage" ~1915 and 100+ years later Tadoussac Tennis (& Croquet) Club, that's Emily Evans on the right ~1915, and 100+ years later! Cap à Jack 10 miles up the Saguenay, built ~ 1910 and demolished in the 1930's Lots more photos on the CAP À JACK page Cap à Jack Biography of Dean Lewis Evans in the Bios Section https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/tadbios/evans%2C-thomas-frye-lewis Emily Evans with with her son Lewis Evans and Kae Evans. Lewis Evans has his own page... R Lewis Evans NEXT PAGE

  • Colour! | tidesoftadoussac1

    Photos Historique Tadoussac 1860-1900 Tadoussac The oldest Photographs Les plus anciennes Photographies Photography was invented about 1839, and Tadoussac was a popular subject for well-know professional photographers such as William Notman (father and son) and Livernois from the 1860's. This page is a collection of the early photos, before personal cameras were invented (the first Kodak camera was 1888). The 1860's was a busy time in Tadoussac. The first summer residences were built in the early 1860's. The Tadoussac Hotel, the future Cid store, and the row of 5 houses on the main street were built in 1864. The Protestant Chapel was built in 1867. The old Hudson's Bay Post was on the lawn in front of the Hotel until 1870, which helps with figuring out the dates of the photos! Notice most of the trees have been cut all around Tadoussac! DATES may not be exact, a list of key dates may be found at the bottom of the CONTENTS page (please send dates!) https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com Thanks to McCord Museum, Hotel Tadoussac, BAnQ, and everyone who collects and loves old photographs! La photographie a été inventée vers 1839 et Tadoussac était un sujet prisé par des photographes professionnels reconnus tels que William Notman (père et fils) et Livernois dès les années 1860. Cette page est une collection des premières photos, avant l'invention des appareils photo personnels (le premier appareil photo Kodak date de 1888). Les années 1860 furent une période occupée à Tadoussac. Les premières résidences d'été ont été construites au début des années 1860. L'Hôtel Tadoussac, le futur magasin Cid, et la rangée de 5 maisons sur la rue principale ont été construits en 1864. La Chapelle protestante a été construite en 1867. L'ancien Poste de la Baie d'Hudson était sur la pelouse devant l'Hôtel jusqu'en 1870, ce qui aide à déterminer les dates des photos ! Remarquez que la plupart des arbres ont été coupés tout autour de Tadoussac! Les DATES peuvent ne pas être exactes, une liste des dates clés peut être trouvée au bas de la page CONTENU (veuillez envoyer les dates!) https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com Merci au Musée McCord, à l'Hôtel Tadoussac, à BAnQ et à tous ceux qui collectionnent et aiment les photographies anciennes ! 1860-1900 Maybe before the Hotel was built? Peut-être avant la construction de l'hôtel ? Powel/Bailey House <<<Hanging Beach Cote Ida Hovington Stairs Rectory Evans/Beattie Houses on the beach and a boat being built House on Main Street (right side, now Auberge Galouine) Still 1860's Maisons sur la plage et un bateau en construction Maison sur la rue Main (côté droit, maintenant Auberge Galouine) Toujours des années 1860 One more house on the beach! Une maison de plus sur la plage ! Chapelle de Tadoussac - rectangular windows were replaced with nicer windows, there doesn't seem to be a graveyard yet, still 1860's Chapelle de Tadoussac - les fenêtres rectangulaires ont été remplacées par de plus belles fenêtres, il ne semble pas encore y avoir de cimetière, toujours des années 1860 In the 1860's the Price Sawmill at Anse à L'Eau had been closed for more than 10 years. Below is a 'colourized' photo. Many other photos of Anse à L'Eau at https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/anse-a-l-eau Dans les années 1860, la scierie Price à l'Anse à l'Eau était fermée depuis plus de 10 ans. Ci-dessous une photo "colorisée". Beaucoup d'autres photos de l'Anse à L'Eau à https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/anse-a-l-eau CIrca 1860's, the future George Hotel, some new houses, and the Radford House. The lake is much smaller than today, many years before a dam was built. Vers les années 1860, le futur George Hotel, quelques nouvelles maisons et la Radford House. Le lac est beaucoup plus petit qu'aujourd'hui, bien des années avant la construction d'un barrage. The BRIDGE over the ravine is very interesting. Le PONT sur le ravin est très intéressant. A peine étions-nous montés dans la voiture de l'hôtel que nous nous trouvions en train de traverser au grand galop un pont de planches branlant. Les vieilles dames hurlaient de frayeur, tandis que notre Jean, d'une voix tonitruante, nous criait : « Il fait très noir ce soir, si vous voyez où vous êtes, vous faites peur ! Évidemment, ce cocher distingué qui arborait avec tant de désinvolture son vieux manteau miteux devait être natif de l'endroit. Dufferin House (left) was built in 1873 La maison Dufferin (à gauche) a été construite en 1873 circa 1880's some houses have been built on Pointe d'Islet Below a close-up of one of the houses vers 1880 quelques maisons ont été construites sur la Pointe d'Islet Ci-dessous un gros plan d'une des maisons Circa 1880's, my ancestors on the lawn of the Rhodes cottage, many more photos on another page https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/rhodes-cottage-1 This photo is on a glass plate, there are some cracks and some pieces missing! My G-G-Grandmother Anne Dunn Rhodes in black, and William Rhodes is in the third photo, the only man! Also a baby carriage! Circa 1880's, mes ancêtres sur la pelouse du cottage Rhodes, beaucoup plus de photos sur une autre page https://www.tidesoftadoussac.com/rhodes-cottage-1 Cette photo est sur une plaque de verre, il y a quelques craquelures et quelques morceaux manquants ! Ma G-G-Grand-mère Anne Dunn Rhodes en noir. William Rhodes est sur la troisième photo, le seul homme ! Aussi un landau! Late 1800' s, the Mill has become a Fish Hatchery, and the dock is used for the Steamers, which was the primary method of transportation to Tadoussac. À la fin des années 1800, le moulin est devenu une écloserie et le quai est utilisé pour les bateaux à vapeur, qui étaient le principal moyen de transport vers Tadoussac. Église de la Sainte-Croix built 1885-9, and the hotel was expanded circa 1900, so this is 1890's. Above the main street is an empty sand dune! L'église de la Sainte-Croix a été construite de 1885 à 1889, et l'hôtel a été agrandi vers 1900, nous sommes donc dans les années 1890. Au-dessus de la rue principale se trouve une dune de sable vide ! Anse à L'Eau is still the only dock in Tadoussac, with a new pavilion. L'Anse à L'Eau est toujours le seul quai à Tadoussac, avec un nouveau pavillon. 76

TidesofTadoussac.com is created by Tom Evans

Please send messages and photographs!

TidesofTadoussac.com a été créé par Tom Evans.

N'hésitez pas à envoyer vos messages et vos photos !

Thank you for your feedback!     Merci pour vos commentaires !

bottom of page