top of page

Search Results

Search this site

283 results found with an empty search

  • Watt, Frances McIntosh

    Early summer residents about whom little is known Watt, Frances McIntosh Early summer residents about whom little is known Back to ALL Bios Frances MacIntosh Watt – d. 1876 and David Watt d. 1918 There is a window at the back of the church dedicated to the memory of Frances MacIntosh Watt but we have been able to find out very little about her. We know she died on July 1st, 1876 and that she was buried in Outremont, Montreal, Quebec at the Mont-Royal Cemetery. The tombstone is inscribed: FRS. MACINTOSH wife of DAVID A. WATT DIED 1ST JULY 1876 NEIL MACINTOSH, BROTHER ISABELLA McLEAN, cousin Her husband was originally named David Allan Poe and apparently changed his name to Watt. He went by Poe in the 1861 census and when he was married to Frances in 1857. However, he signed as D. A. P. Watt on the original chapel subscriber's list of 1866. David and Frances had four children, three girls, and a boy, but even in David’s obituary below the girls are not identified by name. He seems to have died in 1918. Mr. David Allan Watt Passed Away in 88th Year (Obituary) The death of Mr. David Allan Watt took place last Thursday at his residence, 285 Stanley Street. He was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1830, and was thus eighty-eight years of age. He was educated at the Grammar School, Greenock, came to Canada in 1846, and was one of the organizers of the Corn Exchange, the Citizen’s League, and the Montreal Art Association. He was the editor of the Canadian Naturalist. In 1857 he married Miss Frances Macintosh, his wife predeceasing him in 1876. He is survived by his four children, Mrs. F. H. Whitmore and the Misses Watt, of Montreal, and Mr. Allan Watt, of Rocky Mount, N. C. Back to ALL Bios

  • Campbell, James (Jim) Kenneth

    A true gentleman and avid golfer, Jim and Sheila built Taighmor Campbell, James (Jim) Kenneth A true gentleman and avid golfer, Jim and Sheila built Taighmor Back to ALL Bios James Kenneth Campbell - October 13, 1933 – August 12, 2018 Jim was born in Montreal, Quebec to James Kenneth (Ken) Campbell and Doris Victoria Campbell (nee Ayerst). His first 11 years were spent living in Montreal where he attended Strathcona Academy in Outremont. In 1944, following the death of his father, Jim, his brother Bob (4 years old at the time) and their mother moved to Lachute, Quebec to be closer to the Campbell family. They lived on Main Street and Jim attended Lachute Academy. Hockey played a significant role in the Campbell family. Jim followed in the footsteps of his father and uncle by actively embracing the game. Any free time he had he could be found on the outdoor rink behind the school. His skills on the ice earned him the opportunity to play for the McGill Hockey Team – although he was unfortunately sidelined due to a circulatory issue and a subsequent open-heart operation. Jim also studied business at Babson College in Boston, Massachusetts. Jim went on to work at Price Wilson, a paper company in Lachute, as a manager in the purchasing and distribution division. It was during this time that he met Sheila Enid Williams. Sheila was working as a receptionist at Fraser Paper in Montreal and with Jim as a regular customer it wasn’t too long before their courtship began. Jim and Sheila married on November 2, 1963. They had three children, Doris Enid (died 1965), Kenneth David, and Victoria Joan. Jim’s first visit to Tadoussac was in 1963 where he braved the Saguenay in a canoe with his future father-in-law, Canon Sydney Williams, only to have a Minke whale breach in front of the canoe. It would seem the event did not deter him. Jim made annual visits to Tad staying at The Barn and for many years at the Pink House. In 2003, Jim and Sheila built their own house in Tad, Taighmor. Since that time, they have spent every summer with occasional winter visits including a memorable Christmas in 2016. Jim was a fan of many sports other than hockey, including curling, skiing and the odd game of tennis. Above all he was an avid golfer who played at every opportunity (he made 2 holes-in-one!). Most mornings in Tad were spent on the golf course with various cottagers. Jim had the capacity and the interest to engage in conversation with anyone he met – young or old. He was a quiet and thoughtful man who enjoyed a good laugh, the love of his friends and most especially his family. Jim was the true definition of a gentleman. Back to ALL Bios

  • Godfrey Rhodes & Lily Jamison | tidesoftadoussac1

    Godfrey Rhodes & Lily Jamison Godfrey Rhodes 1850-1932 & Lily Jamison 1859-1939 Godfrey Rhodes is the second oldest of 9 children of Col William Rhodes and Anne Catherine Dunn. Godfrey married Lily Jamison, and they had one daughter Catherine Rhodes, who married Percival Tudor-Hart, an artist. Godfrey bought the estate Cataraquai in Sillery, Quebec City, in the early 1900's, located next door to his family home at Benmore. The story is that the estate was being auctioned by a friend of the family, and Godfrey had no plans to buy the place but placed a bid just to keep the bidding going. The family lived there until Catherine's death in 1972 (they had no children). It is now owned by the Quebec government. Catherine and PTH (as he was known) also built a summer house in Tadoussac in the early 1900's, still known as the Tudor-Hart house. Godfrey Rhodes est la deuxième plus ancien des neuf enfants de Col William Rhodes et Anne Catherine Dunn. Godfrey épousé Lily Jamison, et ils ont eu une fille Catherine Rhodes, qui a épousé Percival Tudor-Hart, un artiste. Godfrey achète le domaine Cataraquai à Sillery, Québec, dans le début des années 1900, situé à côté de sa maison familiale à Benmore. L'histoire, c'est que la propriété a été mis aux enchères par un ami de la famille, et Godfrey n'avait pas l'intention d'acheter, mais placé une enchère juste pour garder l'appel d'offres en cours. La famille y vécut jusqu'à la mort de Catherine en 1972 (ils n'avaient pas d'enfants). Il est maintenant la propriété du gouvernement du Québec. (les photos nécessaires!) Catherine et la PTH (comme il était connu) également construits une maison d'été à Tadoussac dans le début des années 1900, encore connu sous le nom de la maison Tudor-Hart. Godfrey is on the left, age about 5 circa 1855 circa 1893 on the beach - the Mums with 6 little girls! Nan Williams (Mary3 and Gertrude2), Minnie Morewood (Nancy5 and Billy2), Totie Rhodes (hat) (Lily4), Lily Rhodes (Catherine5) circa 1894 Godfrey on the left, then Nan Williams, Lily center, Hem and Lennox Williams top right back - Mrs Frank Jamison, Minnie Rhodes Morewood middle - Mrs Jamison (Lily's mother), Carrie (Nan) Rhodes Williams, Granny Anne Dunn Rhodes and Lily Jamison Rhodes in front circa 1893 Rhodes family - Godfrey back row with hat, Lily back row second from right Godfrey and M. Poitras with game circa 1895 Godfrey and John Morewood on the steps of the Poitras house 1898 - Godfrey, his wife Lily and daughter Catherine (age about 10) on the Tadoussac beach early 1900's - from left - Minnie Rhodes Morewood and Lily (sisters-in-law), Armitage with stick. bottom right - Carrie Rhodes (my grandmother) and Catherine Rhodes (age about 20) circa 1908 - Lily Jamison Rhodes and her daughter Catherine Rhodes (~20) 1910 - Catherine, Godfrey, Lily in Europe circa 1910 - Harriet Ross, Dorothy Rhodes Evans, Catherine Rhodes and Godfrey Drawing of Godfrey by Catherine 21

  • Russell, Mary Frances

    Mary's mother died shortly after her birth and she and her sister Erie were brought up by their grandparents, Willis and Rebecca Russell, spending their summers in Spruce Cliff. Russell, Mary Frances Mary's mother died shortly after her birth and she and her sister Erie were brought up by their grandparents, Willis and Rebecca Russell, spending their summers in Spruce Cliff. Back to ALL Bios Mary Frances Russell Janes 1864 - 1915 Mary Frances Russell Janes’ mother was born in Franklin, New Hampshire in 1836, the daughter of Willis Russell and Rebecca Page (Sanborn). In 1843, when she was seven, Mary’s family relocated to Quebec City where her father, Willis, entered the hotel business. In 1858, Mary married a Scotsman, William Duthie Baxter Janes and they moved to Montreal. Their first daughter, Mary Frances Russell Janes (1860) died within a week of her birth, and their second daughter, Elizabeth Anne Leavitte Janes (1861) died at the age of one. Erie Russell Janes (1863) was the third daughter. She survived and thrived, as did her younger sister who was given the same name as the first child, and is the subject of this biography, Mary Frances Russell Janes (1864). In Willis Russell’s biography, it was mentioned that a doctor recommended sea air for Willis’s ailing daughter. His friend William Rhodes encouraged him to join him in Tadoussac, a plan that led to the construction of Spruce Cliff in 1861. It seems clear that Mary was that ailing daughter and sadly, tragedy struck one more time. In the days following this fourth daughter’s birth, Willis’s daughter, Mary, weakened and died in Quebec at the age of twenty-eight. She was buried in the family plot at Mount Hermon Cemetery in Quebec. The two surviving children, Erie and Mary, went to live with their grandparents, Willis and Rebecca, who had built Spruce Cliff as a place for their daughter to heal. One can only hope that after being left with two babies and enduring three family deaths in five years, the cottage helped to heal the whole family. Erie eventually married George de Guerry Languedoc and built Amberley Cottage in Languedoc Park. Mary never married and she continued to come to Tadoussac every summer to Spruce Cliff, staying with her grandparents until they died in the late 1880s, and then with her Uncle William and his three children. An old family letter reveals that she lived for a time with her sister, Erie, and her husband, George Languedoc, in Ottawa. Mary died in 1915 at the age of fifty-one. In the chapel, both the baptismal font and a wall plaque are given in memory of her fifty years of summer residency in Tadoussac. Back to ALL Bios

  • Williams, The Reverend Sidney & Enid (Price)

    An avid sportsman and churchman, Sidney and Enid served the Tadoussac Chapel for many years Williams, The Reverend Sidney & Enid (Price) An avid sportsman and churchman, Sidney and Enid served the Tadoussac Chapel for many years Back to ALL Bios Sydney Waldron Williams 1899-1972 & Enid M. Williams 1904 – 1998 Sydney Williams was born in Quebec City in 1899 and was the fourth child of Bishop Lennox Waldron Williams and Caroline Annie Rhodes. Sydney had an older brother James (Jimmy) who died at the battle of the Somme in 1916 and older sisters Mary and Gertrude. Sydney attended Quebec High School (Boy’s School) from 1908 until 1916. He was Head Prefect and was awarded the Governor General’s medal (for mathematics) and the Ann Ross Medal (for science). He attended Bishop’s University from 1916 until 1918 and then the Royal Military College from 1918 until 1921 (College Number 1394). Sydney finished his degree in Chemical Engineering at McGill University (as RMC could not grant degrees at the time) graduating in 1923. After graduation, Sydney worked for the Laurentide Paper Company in Grand-Mère between 1923 and 1927. He then decided to follow in the footsteps of so many of his ancestors by pursuing a degree in theology at Bishop’s University (1927-1929). He was ordained a deacon in May 1929, and then a priest in 1930, by his father Bishop Lennox Williams at the cathedral in Quebec City. After a short courtship, Sydney married Enid Price in June 1929. Enid was born in Quebec City, the second child in a family of ten children. Her parents were Henry Edward Price and Helen Muriel (Gilmour). Enid’s father, Henry, had been born in Talcahuano, Chile and, along with his brother William Price, had come to Canada as a child. Enid attended King’s Hall, Compton. Sydney and Enid had four children: Joan, Susan, Jimmy, and Sheila. Sydney was the curate for St Michael’s Church in Bournemouth, England between 1930 and 1932 before returning to work as the curate at the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Quebec City while his father was Bishop. From 1933 until 1940 Sydney became the incumbent at St John the Evangelist, so he and Enid moved to Shawinigan Falls. In her childhood, Enid had visited Tadoussac nearly every summer, staying first at her father’s house, known as “the Harry Price House” (formally called Casa Nueva). After her marriage she stayed at Brynhyfryd and later still at The Barn. At the outbreak of war, and based on his previous military background, Sydney volunteered to serve and went overseas serving in the 66th Battery, 14th Field Regiment. While in England, Sydney worked as an instructor and he retired as a Major in 1944. He returned to his parish in Shawinigan as the Anglican Rector where he worked for many years until his retirement in 1967. Enid and Sydney’s children, their thirteen grandchildren and many great grandchildren have enthusiastically continued the family tradition of summers in Tadoussac. Enid had a fund of knowledge about the families of the old English society of Quebec, and she used to reminisce about the past way of life in both Tadoussac and Quebec City. In addition to an active Parish ministry, Sydney served with great devotion on many Diocesan boards including the Executive Committee of Synod, Church Society, and the Pension Committee, as well as being a member of the Corporation of King’s Hall, Compton. Enid loved Tadoussac and its chapel. She served as President of the Chapel Association and contributed some of the needlepoint embroidery presently in the chapel. She also remembered the chapel in her will, leaving it a donation. Always a proud military man, in 1956, Sydney was made an Honorary Lt Col. of the 62nd Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment in Shawinigan. He was also the Honorary Chaplain for the RMC Club of Canada and would preside over many Remembrance Day Ceremonies at the College. The following quote comes from an article written for the RMC Review about Sydney: “His many friends knew him as a man of understanding and wit, and he is also remembered by a great many people for his help in times of their trouble. His strong faith and deep understanding enabled him to give both spiritual and practical comfort.” Sports were always a great interest of Sydney and as a young man, he was a member of the Bishop’s University hockey and basketball teams. Sydney was also a great marksman and won many prizes for target shooting. He was a member of the Rifle Team at both RMC and McGill University and started the gun club in Shawinigan. Later in life, he taught the police in Shawinigan how to shoot. He used this skill in retirement when he could often be found shooting rats at the dump in Tadoussac. Sydney spent his childhood summers in Tadoussac living with his parents. He was an avid golfer, tennis player, and canoeist. After his ordination, Sydney followed in the footsteps of his father by officiating the church services in July each summer until his retirement. On the death of his father, Sydney inherited The Barn and Sydney and Enid spent their retirement playing bridge with Coosie and Ray Price and enjoying their children and grandchildren. They had a strong friendship with Dr Taylor, an American clergyman who visited Tadoussac for many years. Sydney died in St Anne’s Military Hospital in 1972 and was buried in Mount Hermon Cemetery in Quebec City. The reredos (panel behind the altar) in the Protestant Chapel in Tadoussac, was presented in his memory by the congregation. Sydney was a beloved minister, and his kind and friendly nature left a mark on everyone he met. Tadoussac was blessed to have had such a fine man as their liturgical leader for so many years. Kevin Webster Back to ALL Bios

  • Smith, George Noel Carington

    George was a great sportsman and had a very successful military career that took him around the world Smith, George Noel Carington George was a great sportsman and had a very successful military career that took him around the world Back to ALL Bios George Noel Carington Smith 1904 - 1988 The second of four children and eldest son of Charles and Aileen Carington Smith, Noel was born on Christmas Day and aptly named. The family lived at Montmorency Falls, where Noel’s lifelong love of the countryside was nurtured. There are stories of fifteen or twenty feet of snow in the winter - he had his own dog and sledge to cope with this - of eating maple syrup turned to a crispy mouthful in a bowl of deeply frozen snow, and of the magic of living close to the amazing waterfall which famously produces a huge cone of frozen spray in the winter. He was educated at Lower Canada College and then Upper Canada College, graduating in 1922. The next three years were spent training at the Royal Military College at Kingston. Noel decided to make his career in the British Army and in 1925 he moved to the United Kingdom and joined the Royal Artillery Regiment. As a young army officer, he was stationed in various places within the UK. In 1929 he was stationed in India and spent an interesting and active two years there. While there he famously shot dead a ‘man-eating' tiger that had killed two people in the local village. In those days this was a wonderful thing to have done, and he became quite a local hero. Even though the Royal Artillery was highly mechanized during the 1930s, horse riding ability was apparently considered very desirable and Noel proved to be fully capable of reaching an excellent standard. He took part in many horse races, often won, and had many silver trophies to display. When he was still new to British Horse Racing, his future father-in-law bet on him. At the end of the successful race, it turned out that this was the only winning ticket, so the odds were excellent. A win that boded well for his future, no doubt. It was in 1934 that he met Mary Falconer Donaldson, the youngest daughter of a Scottish shipowner, and in 1936 they were married. Army life involved a lot of moving around, and Noel and Mary were no exception. They had four children, Charles Falconer born in 1938, and Katherine Ann in 1940, at which point Mary and the two young children sailed the Atlantic to live in Kingston, Ontario, where they stayed until 1944. After the war, and by now back in Scotland, twins Robert and Rosemary were born in 1945. At the start of the war, Noel was the adjutant attached to a reserve Technical Assistance (T.A.) unit based in County Durham in the north of England, however, within a few months, he was posted to Kingston, as a Staff College instructor. After this, he commanded an artillery regiment during the invasion and conquest of Sicily. Later experiences included Anzio and Ortona. Just at the end of the war, he spent a short time in England, before his second spell in India. Here he became the Acting Commandant of the British Army College in Quetta, in what is now Pakistan, during the months leading up to Independence and Partition; a job that involved overseeing the movement of many thousands of Hindus to the south into safety in India - a huge logistical job, involving the requisitioning of several trains. In 1947 Noel decided to leave the army and he took up a civilian post in Perth, Scotland, administering the T.A. branch of the Scottish regiment, The Black Watch. He still loved riding, and for a while became Master of the Perthshire Drag Hunt. After six years he and Mary bought an arable farm, on which they built a new family-sized farmhouse, and Noel became a full-time farmer. There followed many happy years of farming, breeding Aberdeen Angus beef cattle and Scottish black-face sheep. Noel taught his children to ride, fish, and shoot, passing on his love of sports, horses, dogs, and the outdoors. He could now enjoy fishing and shooting too, and taking part in these two sports was something he continued after he retired from farming until his death in 1988. Ann Carington Smith Back to ALL Bios

  • Rowe, Lucille Elizabeth (Beth) (Dewart)

    Beth had a fabulous childhood in the Languedoc Park, with a love for nature that always brought her back to Tadoussac Rowe, Lucille Elizabeth (Beth) (Dewart) Beth had a fabulous childhood in the Languedoc Park, with a love for nature that always brought her back to Tadoussac Back to ALL Bios Lucille Elizabeth (Dewart) Rowe - October 5, 1948 – February 6, 2021 Lucille Elizabeth (Dewart) Rowe, known as Beth by family and friends, passed away on February 6, 2021. She grew up in Beverly, Massachusetts and later moved to Washington D.C, and Silver Spring, Maryland where she worked and raised her family. She had an extensive career in child education and was a passionate advocate and volunteer for refugee assistance, hunger and homelessness prevention and environmental protection. Throughout her life, Beth spent a portion of most summers as a member of the Tadoussac community. Beth grew up spending Sundays here in this chapel, sitting in her family pew while listening to her dad deliver Sunday services. She loved hymns and enthusiastically participated in ALL choruses while her cousin Grace, and later cousin Susie played the organ. Beth cherished her memories of her times as a kid roaming Languedoc Park and Hovington Farm, playing Kick the Can, participating in Treasure Hunts, swimming in the lake and hotel pool, picnicking at the beach and attending bonfires and tennis club dances. Beth cherished these memories of a simple, wholesome time enjoying nature’s gifts. Like many of us, Tad was a place that Beth always returned to year after year as a place of respite and restoration. Beth loved the scent of the woods, the songs of birds, the thrill of sighting a whale or a shooting star. She particularly enjoyed reuniting with extended family and childhood friends who will always remember her broad, beautiful, infectious smile, her open, selfless, and giving heart and deep, abiding love for nature and family. She is preceded in death by her former husband Clarence Rowe and her parents, Ann and the Reverend Russell Dewart. She is survived by her two sons, Jesse and Keith, her brothers Timothy, Alan, Brian, and William, and her sister Judith. Back to ALL Bios

  • Museum | tidesoftadoussac1

    Bonne Chance in the Barn/Molson Museum Molson Museum and the "Bonne Chance" This is a crazy part of my family history in Tadoussac! My father, Lewis Evans, loved old wooden boats, and in 1951 he bought an old Lower St Lawrence Yawl and named it the "Bonne Chance". It was built about 1870 on Ile D'Orleans. This was our boat until 1966, when it was bought by Jack Molson and James Beattie, and installed in a barn built by Pierre Tremblay near the lake in Tadoussac, where it remains preserved today. The barns contain a vast collection of artifacts collected over 50 years ago, and now part of The Canadian Heritage of Quebec. In recent years they have held an open house in August to give the public a chance to see the collection. Pierre Tremblay built several houses in Tadoussac. He worked primarily for the English-speaking community, maintaining their cottages; Hector Gauthier trained him for this work. He built the old barns behind the Maritime Museum, erected the Jacques Cartier Cross, and carried out repairs to the Chauvin House and the Old Chapel in the 1960s. After his death in 1991, Roger and Jean-Philippe Hovington took over from the summer residents. LES VIEILLES FAMILLES DE TADOUSSAC, 1850-1950 Gaby Villeneuve Pierre a bâti plusieurs maisons à Tadoussac. Il a principalement travaillé pour la communauté anglophone, entretenant leurs chalets ; Hector Gauthier l'a formé à ce travail. Il a construit les vieilles granges derrière le Musée maritime, érigé la croix Jacques-Cartier et effectué des réparations à la maison Chauvin et à la vieille chapelle dans les années 1960. Après son décès en 1991, Roger et Jean-Philippe Hovington ont pris la relève des résidents estivaux. Ceci est une partie folle de l'histoire de ma famille à Tadoussac! Mon père, Lewis Evans, aimait vieux bateaux en bois, et en 1951, il a acheté un vieux Bas-Saint-Laurent Yawl et nommé le "Bonne Chance". Il a été construit vers 1870 sur l'Ile d'Orléans. Ce fut notre bateau jusqu'en 1966, quand elle a été achetée par Jack Molson et James Beattie, et installé dans une grange construite par Pierre Tremblay près du lac à Tadoussac, où il reste aujourd'hui conservé. Les granges contiennent une vaste collection d'artefacts recueillis il y a plus de 50 ans, et fait maintenant partie de l'Héritage canadien du Québec. Au cours des dernières années, ils ont tenu une journée portes ouvertes en Août pour donner une chance de voir la collection au public. The Yawl in the beach in Tadoussac in 1950, with Capt Edgar Dallaire (the tall man) probably talking about boats! My brother and sister in the foreground, probably not understanding. La Yole dans la plage de Tadoussac en 1950, avec le capitaine Edgar Dallaire (le homme de grande taille) parle probablement de bateaux! Mon frère et soeur au premier plan, probablement pas comprendre. I could stand up in the cabin when I was small, but with 4'6" headroom it got much smaller as I grew up! Je pourrais tenir debout dans la cabine quand j'étais petit, mais avec 4'6" espace libre il eu beaucoup plus petite que j'ai grandi! Heading up the Saguenay circa 1960 on the "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans and his 3 sons, Alan, Tom and Lew Jr., and the dog Jeff. En remontant le Saguenay vers 1960 sur la "Bonne Chance", Lewis Evans et ses 3 fils, Alan, Tom et Lew Jr., et le chien Jeff. D.F.T. & T.F.D. The "White Boat" above circa 1910, below circa 1960, and at right today in the Museum. Le "White Boat" ci-dessus vers 1910, ci-dessous vers 1960, et à droite aujourd'hui au musée. 32

  • Rhodes, Armitage & Phebe Ida (Alleman) & Catherine (Katie) (von Iffland)

    Col. Rhodes' and Anne Dunn's eldest son. Rhodes, Armitage & Phebe Ida (Alleman) & Catherine (Katie) (von Iffland) Col. Rhodes' and Anne Dunn's eldest son. Back to ALL Bios Armitage Rhodes 1848-1909 & Phoebe Ida (Alleman) 1854-1893 Armitage Rhodes was born in 1848 at Benmore (Sillery) Quebec, the eldest son of Col. William Rhodes and Anne Catherine Dunn. A Civil Engineer, (and founding member of the Society of Engineers of Quebec), he was educated at Bishop’s College School and in Philadelphia, U.S.A. He enjoyed camping, hunting, boating, and fishing. As a young man, he sang in the choir of the Tadoussac chapel. His first wife was Phoebe Ida Alleman who was born in Pennsylvania in 1854, the daughter of Frederick O. Alleman and Mary B. Alleman (born Oglesby). Their children were Mathew Charles Kingsley Rhodes (adopted) and his daughter Dorothy Gwendolyn Esther Rhodes who was born in 1892. Ida was a prolific amateur painter. Several of her oil portraits, sea, and landscapes survive to this day in family hands. She died in 1893, in Sillery, Quebec at age thirty-nine. Armitage subsequently married Catherine von Iffland and their two daughters were Monica Rhodes and Armitage (Peter) Rhodes. Monica never married, and Armitage (who was given male-sounding names because her father had wanted a boy!) was the mother of Ann Hargreaves (Cumyn). Like his father William, Armitage senior was a prominent Quebec City businessman and served as President and Chairman of several companies including Quebec Warehousing Corporation, the Quebec Bridge Corporation, a director of the Union Bank, and the Grand Trunk Railway. He served as president of the Royal Literary and Historical Society. Armitage brought his family to the Rhodes family cottage in Tadoussac for many summers that they spent with the rest of the Rhodes family. The memorial plaque in the chapel lists the names and dates of Armitage and his first wife, as well as his daughter, Dorothy, and her husband, Trevor Evans. Photos above Armitage Rhodes Armitage and Phoebe Ida (Alleman) Rhodes Katie (VonIffland) Rhodes, Monica and Armitage Photos below About 1905 on the Terrien Yacht on the Saguenay - back - Frank Morewood, Bob Campbell, Bobby Morewood, his mother Minnie (Rhodes) Morewood, Kate VonIffland and Armitage Rhodes. Middle - Sidney Williams and Billy Morewood, Nan (Rhodes) Williams and Lennox Williams. Front - Charlie Rhodes, ?, Nancy Morewood and Mary Williams (Wallace). Brynhyfryd in the late 1800's Back to ALL Bios

  • Barn | tidesoftadoussac1

    ALL HOUSES Barn NEXT PAGE The Barn has a long history, it is about 150 years old! Built shortly after the main Rhodes house in the 1870's, the Barn has been Kitchen, Scullery, IceHouse, Maid's Quarters, Chicken Coop, and Summer Cottage! The "Barn" was built shortly after the main Rhodes Cottage was built in 1860, and at first served as maid's quarters, ice house, larder and kitchen for the main house. When the Rhodes Cottage burned in 1932 and was rebuilt in 1933, the new house named Brynhyfryd included a kitchen and servants' rooms. Chickens were kept in the Barn until it was converted into a summer cottage in 1934. Letter from Enid Williams, October 1981 The "Barn" has had many uses. First I understand it was built by Col. Rhodes as a kitchen for the big house. The maids slept upstairs, the kitchen being downstairs. The meals were carried over to the big house. When it rained, one maid carried the food and another carried an umbrella. When the big house was done over, the Barn became a place for the chickens. I am not sure if they kept a cow there as well. Eventually it was done over by Mr Frank Morewood and made into a house, in the year 1934. When my father-in-law [Lennox Williams] died and my husband [Sydney Williams] inherited the Barn [1959], he made a few alterations, such as the picture window. The original beams are still being used but are covered up. Mrs Williams bought some land from Mrs Dwight when the Barn was completed [1934] on the Lewis Evans side. I can't think of anything more about the Barn, but I do remember the chickens there when I was married. Sincerely Enid Williams From Michael Alexander Lots of people stayed there. During the War I stayed there with my mother. Jean and Johnny Aylan Parker, Ron, Jim and Ted and I were there when the S.S.Quebec burned at the Wharf - great view from the bedroom up stairs! Bob and Nan Leggat were there at least one summer. It was a great place for all the excess people at Brynhyfryd and quite a popular spot to be. Only thing - it was a long way from 8 o'clock morning prayers led by Grandad (the Bishop) in the Brynhyfryd living room - a command appearance for all before breakfast - every day! The Barn "The Barn" a une longue histoire, elle a environ 150 ans ! Construite peu de temps après la maison principale de Rhodes dans les années 1870, la grange a été la cuisine, l'arrière-cuisine, la glacière, le logement de la bonne, le poulailler et le cottage d'été ! La "Barn" a été construite peu de temps après la construction du cottage principal de Rhodes en 1860 et a d'abord servi de logement de bonne, de glacière, de garde-manger et de cuisine pour la maison principale. Lorsque le Rhodes Cottage a brûlé en 1932 et a été reconstruit en 1933, la nouvelle maison nommée Brynhyfryd comprenait une cuisine et des chambres de domestiques. Les poulets étaient gardés dans la grange jusqu'à ce qu'elle soit transformée en chalet d'été en 1934. Lettre d'Enid Williams, octobre 1981 La "Barn" a eu de nombreuses utilisations. D'abord, je comprends qu'il a été construit par le colonel Rhodes comme cuisine pour la grande maison. Les bonnes dormaient à l'étage, la cuisine étant en bas. Les repas étaient transportés dans la grande maison. Quand il pleuvait, une servante portait la nourriture et une autre portait un parapluie. Lorsque la grande maison a été refaite, la grange est devenue un endroit pour les poulets. Je ne sais pas s'ils y gardaient aussi une vache. Finalement, il a été refait par M. Frank Morewood et transformé en maison, en 1934. Lorsque mon beau-père [Lennox Williams] est décédé et que mon mari [Sydney Williams] a hérité de la grange [1959], il a fait quelques modifications, comme la baie vitrée. Les poutres d'origine sont toujours utilisées mais sont recouvertes. Mme Williams a acheté un terrain à Mme Dwight lorsque la grange a été achevée [1934] du côté de Lewis Evans. Je ne peux rien penser de plus à propos de la grange, mais je me souviens des poulets là-bas quand j'étais marié. Cordialement Enid Williams De Michel Alexandre Beaucoup de monde y est resté. Pendant la guerre, j'y suis resté avec ma mère. Jean et Johnny Aylan Parker, Ron, Jim et Ted et moi étions là lorsque le S. S. Québec a brûlé au quai - superbe vue depuis la chambre en haut des escaliers ! Bob et Nan Leggat y ont passé au moins un été. C'était un endroit formidable pour toutes les personnes excédentaires de Brynhyfryd et un endroit très populaire. La seule chose - c'était loin des prières du matin de 8 heures dirigées par grand-père (l'évêque) dans le salon Brynhyfryd - une apparition sur commande pour tous avant le petit déjeuner - tous les jours! 1974 James Lennox Williams 1959 Rev Canon Sydney Waldron Williams East part of property 1940 Ethel Adam (Dwight) 1911 Jonathan Dwight, Jr Previous 1950's? Before the picture window was installed 1980? That's Betty Evans talking to Enid Williams 20 More photos of The Barn below! CLICK on the first one then use the scroll arrows<> 1/20 20 More photos of The Barn below! CLICK on the first one then use the scroll arrows<>

  • Smith, Gordon Carington

    A career military officer, Gordon served in Italy and in the liberation of France during World War 2 Smith, Gordon Carington A career military officer, Gordon served in Italy and in the liberation of France during World War 2 Back to ALL Bios Gordon Carington Smith 1906 - 1974 Family, dedication to the Canadian Armed Forces, and Tadoussac, were the most important things in the life of Gordon Carington Smith. Gordon was born in 1906 in Quebec City to Robert Harcourt Smith and Mary Valliere Gunn Smith. He was the second of three sons. His older brother was Alexander (Lex) and his younger brother was Guy. They enjoyed a happy childhood growing up on Grande Allée in the English area of Quebec City. In 1911 the family purchased Dufferin House and so began the family love affair with Tadoussac. Following the family tradition, Gordon was educated at Bishop’s College School in Lennoxville, and the Royal Military College in Kingston, from which he graduated in 1927. He completed his engineering degree at McGill in 1929. Immediately, Gordon joined the Royal Canadian Artillery and was appointed a Lieutenant with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery with which he remained until the beginning of World War II when he joined the staff of General Worthington and participated in the formation of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps at Camp Borden. On April 30, 1941, while on his way to England to begin his war service, Gordon’s ship the S.S. Nerissa was torpedoed off the coast of Ireland. He was rescued and proceeded to London. Gordon then served in the Italian Campaign and was twice wounded in action, once while second in command of the British Columbia Dragoons. He served in the liberation of France and ended the war at the Canadian General Reinforcement Unit in Britain. He returned to Canada and his first posting was in Halifax, followed by Kingston, Washington DC, and his final posting was in Ottawa. He received an Honorary Discharge in March 1959. Following his retirement, Gordon and his family moved to Halifax where he joined the architectural firm of Dumaresq and Byrne. He was a loyal board member of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, the Royal Commonwealth Society, and the United Institute of Canada. In 1933 Gordon married Jacqueline Dumaresq of Halifax. They had two children, a son Arthur Harcourt Carington Smith in 1934, and a daughter Eve D’Auvergne Smith in 1939. Also, five grandchildren, Gordon and Christopher Smith and Donald, Janet and Ted McInnes. After family and career, Gordon’s main love was Tadoussac. Whenever possible he and his family would make the trip to Tad. He had sold his share of Dufferin House to Guy Smith in the 1930s so he and his family enjoyed many different cottages. His pride and joy, was his Cape Island boat, Penwa. He was never happier than being in Tad and spending time with his extended family, especially his two beloved brothers. That was his heaven! Gordon died in Halifax in 1974, aged sixty-eight, and is buried there in Fairview Cemetery. Eve Wickwire Back to ALL Bios

  • Russell, Willis & Rebecca Page (Sanborn)

    First generation summer residents who built Spruce Cliff Cottage Russell, Willis & Rebecca Page (Sanborn) First generation summer residents who built Spruce Cliff Cottage Back to ALL Bios Willis Russell 1814-1887 & Rebecca Page (Sanborn) 1813-1889 Willis Russell came originally from Vermont where he had been associated with his brothers in the paper, pulp, and lumber business. Willis married Rebecca Page (Sanborn) who descended from a long line of early New England colonists. Rebecca’s great grandfather, Lieutenant John Sanborn, was born in Norfolk, England in about 1620 and emigrated to the colonies in 1632 with the Rev. Stephen Bachiler party on the ship William and Frances, settling in Hampton, New Hampshire, the town having been founded by Rev. Bachiler. Many generations later, Rebecca Page Sanborn was born in 1813 in Sanbornton, NH to John Sanborn and Dorcas Nelson. Not much is known about Rebecca herself other than she married Willis in Franklin, NH in 1835 and eight years later they relocated to Quebec City where she and Willis lived until 1887 when he died and she died a year later at age seventy-five. An interesting historical note: Rebecca was distantly related to Thomas Nelson Page, the US Ambassador to Italy during the First World War and a direct descendant of the Virginian, Thomas Nelson Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Willis and Rebecca had six children: Mary, William, Charles, Ellen, Arthur, and Agnes. Mary and William are the ones whose descendants have continued to come to Tadoussac. After being sent by his family to Quebec to investigate business opportunities there, Willis remained a resident of Quebec City throughout the rest of his life and found himself in the hotel business, owning the St. Louis, the Albion, and the Russell House (now the Clarendon). The missal stand on the chapel altar on which the prayer book rests is made from an oak beam taken from the St. Louis Hotel when it was demolished to make room for the Chateau Frontenac. When the doctor recommended sea air for Willis’s ailing daughter, his friend Colonel Rhodes of Quebec suggested they try Tadoussac. The two men bought lots beside each other in 1860 so they could continue the friendship of the two families. Rhodes built immediately and Russell the next year. His order to the builder was “build a house just like William Rhodes’s house.” Subsequently, the Ste. Marguerite Salmon Club was founded in 1885 by Willis Russell and Robert Powel of Philadelphia and the three men could adjourn to the Marguerite River for salmon fishing. The Salmon Club leased all the rights on the Marguerite River along which they built six cottages. One of these, known as Bardsville, still stands. A big promoter of Quebec tourism, Willis Russell wrote a book on the history of Quebec which can still be bought on Amazon (Quebec; as it was and as it is). Willis Russell was involved with the Tadoussac Hotel and Sea Bathing Company which opened the original hotel in 1864. He lived in Quebec City for forty-five uninterrupted years. He is buried in Mt. Hermon Cemetery. Susie (Scott) Bruemmer, Willis and Rebecca’s great-great-granddaughter, now owns the property known as Spruce Cliff near the Tadoussac Tennis Club. The Dewarts, Reilleys, and O’Neills who all spend time in the summer in Tad in their own cottages are also direct descendants of Willis and Rebecca Russell.   Back to ALL Bios

TidesofTadoussac.com is created by Tom Evans

Please send messages and photographs!

TidesofTadoussac.com a été créé par Tom Evans.

N'hésitez pas à envoyer vos messages et vos photos !

Thank you for your feedback!     Merci pour vos commentaires !

bottom of page