Spruce Cliff  1861---->

Spruce Cliff was built in 1861 by Willis Russell. He was married to Rebecca Page Sanborn Pope. They came to Canada in 1835 in search of timber interests and settled  in Quebec, where Mr. Russell became great friends with Colonel Rhodes.  The two of them used to go fishing at the Marguerite River. When he first came to Tadoussac, he rented a house in L'Anse a l'Eau.  Then he, Colonel Rhodes and Mr. Powell of Philadelphia bought adjoining lots. Colonel Rhodes built first and then wrote his builder saying his good friend Mr. Russell wanted a house just like his and of as good lumber. Thus, the two houses were almost identical. 

(Trivia: Willis Russell owned a hotel in Quebec called the Russell Hotel, now called the Hotel Clarendon. There is still a 'Russell Room' in the hotel.)

Spruce Cliff a été construit en 1861 par Willis Russell. Il était marié à Rebecca Page Sanborn Pape. Ils sont venus au Canada en 1835 à la recherche des intérêts de bois et se sont installés au Québec, où M. Russell est devenu très ami avec le colonel Rhodes. Ils sont allés à la pêche ensemble à la rivière Marguerite. Quand il est arrivé à Tadoussac, il a loué une maison à L'Anse à l'Eau. Plus tard, le Colonel Rhodes et M. Powell de Philadelphie acheté lots contigus. Colonel Rhodes construit d'abord et ensuite écrit son constructeur disant que son bon ami M. Russell voulait une maison comme la sienne et d'aussi bonne oeuvre. Ainsi, les deux maisons étaient presque identiques.

(Anecdote: Willis Russell était le propriétaire d'un hôtel au Québec appelé l'Hôtel Russell, maintenant appelé Le Hotel Clarendon. Il est encore un 'Russell Room' à l'hôtel.)