Rhodes Cottage "Brynhyfryd"​

1861-1931

          Col. William Rhodes (1821-1892) was the second son of a landowner in England, and came to Quebec City in the 1840's. He married Anne Catherine Dunn (1823-1911) from Trois Rivieres. They met the Price family who had a lumber mill and other houses in Tadoussac, and they built a summer residence "Brynhyfryd" in Tadoussac in 1860.

        The Russell family built a similar house next door shortly thereafter (Spruce Cliff), and Col Rhodes was part of the group that built the original hotel in 1864.

           The Rhodes family had 9 children, the cottage was expanded (1880's?) by adding on at both ends, and remodelled several times after that. The house burned down (1931?) and was rebuilt in 1932. Both old and new houses are called Brynhyfryd and the owners are descendants of the Colonel and his wife. There are currently 15 houses in Tadoussac owned by direct descendants of the Rhodeses.

 

Colonel William Rhodes (1821-1892) était le fils d'un propriétaire terrien en Angleterre, et est venu à la ville de Québec dans les années 1840. Il a épousé Anne Catherine Dunn (1823-1911) de Trois-Rivières. Ils ont rencontré la famille Price qui avait une scierie et d'autres maisons à Tadoussac, et ils ont construit une résidence d'été "Brynhyfryd" à Tadoussac en 1860.

La famille Russell a construit une maison semblable à côté peu de temps après (Spruce Cliff), et le Col Rhodes faisait partie du groupe qui a construit le premier hôtel en 1864.

La famille Rhodes avait 9 enfants, la maison a été élargi (1880?) en ajoutant sur ​​les deux extrémités, et remodelé à plusieurs reprises par la suite. La maison a brûlé (1931?) et a été reconstruite en 1932. Les deux maisons anciennes et nouvelles sont appelés Brynhyfryd et les propriétaires sont des descendants de Colonel et sa femme. Il ya actuellement 15 maisons à Tadoussac détenues par les descendants directs du Rhodeses.

About 1864, the Hotel in the foreground, the 5 Price houses in the main street (note they were all the same originally) and Spruce Cliff and the Rhodes Cottage.

 

Vers 1864, l'Hôtel au premier plan, les 5 maisons Price sur la rue principale (à noter qu'ils étaient tous la même origine) et Spruce Cliff et le Rhodes Cottage.

Late 1800's, before the house was expanded. That's Colonel and Mrs Rhodes on the right.  Does she look pregnant? She has a baby pram - 3 children were born after 1861. Lots of "help".

 

Fin des années 1800, avant que la maison a été agrandi. C'est le Colonel et Mme Rhodes sur la droite. Est-elle enceinte? Elle a un landau de bébé - 3 enfants sont nés après 1861.

Just after it was built in 1861, from a painting by Washington Friend (American watercolorist) owned by W Lewis Evans (note bathing huts on the beach).

 

Peu de temps après il a été construit en 1861, d'une peinture par Washington Friend (aquarelliste américain) de la collection de Lewis & Cathy Evans (notez les cabines de bains sur la plage)    

about 1890  Inside the cottage, Col Rhodes reading, John Morewood looking at the camera, his brother Frank Morewood asleep. That's Carrie Rhodes on the far right, they were first cousins who later married, my grandparents!

 

 

L'intérieur du chalet, Col Rhodes lecture, John Morewood en regardant la caméra, son frère Frank Morewood endormi. C'est Carrie Rhodes à l'extrême droite, ils étaient cousins ​​germains qui épousa plus tard, mes grands-parents!

1890's  Lennox Williams is the man with the BCS hat in both these photos.  The house has been expanded at both ends.

 

Lennox Williams est l'homme avec le chapeau de BCS dans ces deux photographies. La maison a été élargie aux deux extrémités.

Ping-Pong Team Play About 1905
Gertrude Williams (Alexander) on the right, Granny and Sidney Williams on the porch

"Granny" Anne Dunn Rhodes in the middle. Looks a lot like Susie's house! At right the fireplace, similar to the one that's there now, probably in the same location. Mary Wallace reading. Looks like a tree, maybe holding up the roof, with small pegs or branches to hang stuff from.

 

"Granny" Anne Dunn Rhodes dans le milieu. Ressemble beaucoup à la maison de Susie! À droite la cheminée, semblable à celui qui est là maintenant, probablement au même endroit. Mary Wallace lecture. Resemble un arbre, peut-être tenir le toit, avec des branches pour accrocher des choses.

Going Fishing about 1902
Lennox Williams, Poitras, John Morewood, Frank Morewood (kneeling), Charlie Rhodes

 

Aller à la pêche

Nan Rhodes Williams and her son Jimmie Williams      about 1895

There's a Basketball net! It was invented in 1891 by a Canadian.        Il ya un filet de basket-ball! Il a été inventé en 1891 par un Canadien.

Probably heading to the CSL boat for the trip home, maybe Frank and John Morewood.

 

 

Probablement aller au bateau CSL pour le voyage de retour, peut-être Frank et John Morewood.

 

 

Late 1800's.   The town hasn't made it up the hill, but there were houses at the top of the golf course (upper left)
 

Fin des années 1800. La ville n'a pas fait jusqu'à la colline, mais il y avait des maisons en haut du terrain de golf (en haut à gauche)

Zooming in
 

From the bay - Note a BOARDWALK at the top of the bank between the two houses, and a clear path down to the seawall and hut on the beach. And a landslide or 2!

 

 

De la baie - Note Une promenade au sommet de la banque entre les deux maisons, et une voie claire vers la digue et cabane sur la plage. Et un glissement de terrain ou deux!

 

 

People on the boardwalk! with a canopy!
This is likely the Russell family from Spruce Cliff, if you can identify them please help!

Les gens sur le trottoir! avec un auvent! Il est probable que la famille Russell de Spruce Cliff, si vous pouvez les identifier s'il vous plaît aider!

Frank Morewood's drawing shows new enclosed rooms where there used to be verandah, for the expanding family. The work was done, but with plain white finish, maybe stucco? (below) and the end porch was left open. Frank was in his 20's and later designed the new Brynhyfryd (1932).

 

It's about 1910, Col. Rhodes is gone (1821-1892) but Granny is still alive in her 80's and she has 5 living children (of 9) and over 20 grandchildren under the age of 20!! The house keeps expanding.

Le dessin de Frank Morewood montre chambres nouvelles clos où il y avait autrefois une véranda, pour la famille en pleine expansion. Le travail a été fait, mais avec une finition de couleur blanche, peut-être stuc? (ci-dessous) et le porche de la fin a été laissée ouverte. Frank était dans ses années 20 et plus tard a conçu le nouveau Brynhyfryd (1932).

 

 

C'est vers 1910, le Colonel Rhodes est parti (1821-1892), mais Granny est toujours vivante dans ses années 80 et elle a cinq enfants vivants (de 9) et plus de 20 petits-enfants de moins de 20! La maison ne cesse de s'élargir.

Mary Williams, Sydney Williams, Jim Williams, Evelyn Meredith, Lennox Williams, Nan Rhodes Williams, Gertrude Williams, Bobby Morewood

about 1912-14, Granny Anne Catherine Dunn Rhodes (1823-1911) has died and Lenny got the house.

Sports every day! Golf, Tennis and of course PingPong!

 

Sport tous les jours! Golf, tennis et bien sûr PingPong!

More changes to the house

 

D'autres changements à la maison

Lenny in the garden with grandchildren Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker) and her brother Jim, circa 1922.

 

At left with Nan. They are in their early 60's, Lenny lived to 99 (1958).

 

Lenny's Study

Lenny dans le jardin avec petits-enfants Jean Alexander (Aylan-Parker) et son frère Jim, circa 1922.

 

À gauche avec Nan. Ils sont dans leur début des années 60, Lenny a vécu à 99 (1958).

Major changes on the road side, seems like a different house.

This is just before it burned in 1932

 

 

Des changements importants sur le bord de la route, semble être une autre maison. C'est juste avant l'incendie de 1932

The "new" Brynhyfryd looks like this, built in 1932.                    

  La «nouvelle» Brynhyfryd ressemble à ceci, construit en 1932.