Languedoc, Erie (Janes) & George de Guerry
Erie Russell Janes and George de Guerry Languedoc
Erie Russell Janes (b. 1863) was the daughter of Mary Frances Russell and her husband, William DB Janes. She was the granddaughter of Willis Russell. When Willis died, Erie sold out her share of the family house in Tad (“Spruce Cliff”) and built a house opposite the Roman Catholic Church called “Russellhurst”. She later sold that property and bought what is now known as Languedoc Parc from Henry Dale, an American. She designed and built 'Amberley ”which is now (much renovated) the Gomer home. The road in from the main road (from where the golf course presently is) was known as Dale Drive, although the easternmost portion, with its entrance roughly across from the Hovington Farm, was known as Pépin's Road (after the butcher Pépin Brisson, who came in that way). Dale Road was the only English place name in all of Tadoussac. Dale also had a carriage road going down to Pointe Rouge. The circular spot was its turnaround.
Ann Stevenson relates memories of her first cousin, Erie. “In those days the Park was truly a private enclave, dominated by Cousin Erie Lanquedoc. No one passed her door without her scrutiny, and French and English alike walked in awe of her flashing, black eyes and outthrust jaw. ‘You, there, what's your name?’ she would ask, poking her crooked walking stick at the trespasser's stomach. If it was a French child, she would want to know his parents' names. She persuaded the Curé to declare the Park off limits after dark for the village youths, as much to protect her rest as their morals. Only visitors were allowed to come in by the front gate opposite the Golf Club. Tradesmen and the solitary motorcar had to use the back entrance near Hovington's farm. If anyone came to our door after dark, uninvited, Mum would first get down the .22 rifle before calling out, ‘Who is it?’ Fortunately, she never had to use either it or the revolver. Cousin Erie, however, wasn't afraid of man or beast and often stayed alone in the Park until the boats stopped running late in September. She and her walking stick were a match for anything, but Mum was more nervous. Erie gave her a big brass dinner bell to ring if she needed help. Erie had one even bigger. As the only two women alone in the Park, it was a kind of mutual aid pact in case of fire or illness.”
In 1911 at age 48, Erie married the widower, George de Guerry Languedoc who brought with him his daughter Adele. Languedoc was the Supervising Engineer of dry dock construction for the Dominion government in Ottawa. George Languedoc died in 1924 and Erie died in 1941 when Amberley then went to Adele and later, after Adele's death, acquired by Adelaide Gomer.
Brian Dewart (with excerpts from Ann Stevenson Dewart’s writings)